• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

VPMK’s vision

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

4 hours ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

Winning is more fun. I get it. In 5 years I'll still enjoy just showing up because I've learned how to find whatever joy I can after being a USF fan for 34 years.

38 minutes ago, smazza said:

you are one of kind

Actually he's not but I'm guessing it's not a huge group ...

• Like 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 hours ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

I read it and get the premise. Our men's basketball and football teams lost a lot of games, and losing is never fun. Personally, however, I had more fun this season than any other season since the very early 2000s. As I have mentioned on here before, I moved back to the Tampa area last August. Because of that I was able to tailgate for football games, actually see live home games in person, sit in the Sundome club section for a few hoops games (thanks to TBP), put my "horns up" for free throws, sing the alma mater with my fellow Bulls after a home game (win or lose), spend time watching live college sports with my family, cheer the teams on we were ahead, and value each win even more because of how few there were. Was this season rainbows and puppy dogs? Absolutely not. But I still had plenty of fun. It's all in how you look at it. 🙂🤘

You are living the life! 🤘

• Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,378
  • Days Won:  25

13 hours ago, puc86 said:

Much like a new stadium you are enjoying the novelty of your new situation, let’s revisit this topic in 5 years and see if it’s still enjoyable simply because you are able to show up. Eventually for most people the teams need to actually show up too.

I thought you would say the teams need to do something other than just show up! Results matter! No one cares if the coach is liked or he improved the culture. They care about WINS and big wins even more. A lot of the best coaches in all of sports are not nice guys, but they are champions.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

18 hours ago, jchem1995 said:

Wow CR. That’s gonna resonate. I hope Mike and furthermore Brain feel this too. 

18 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

You’ve certainly paid your dues.  I’m amazed you’ve hung on as long as you have.  

Actually I don't think my decision will make a bit of difference to either. Asked MK what's up with MBB and he said we're gonna start winning. Didn't ask him how. Then told him I won't be renewing next year. He may have said something about hoping to win me back.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Actually I don't think my decision will make a bit of difference to either. Asked MK what's up with MBB and he said we're gonna start winning. Didn't ask him how. Then told him I won't be renewing next year. He may have said something about hoping to win me back.

I believe he has a different definition of winning. 

• Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,439
  • Days Won:  19

https://collegefootballnews.com/lists/25-worst-college-football-basketball-schools-of-2021-2022

I kind of knew in my heart it was true but still depressing to read this in print.  Maybe I need to move a few more states away to remove my radioactive jinx effect on the Bulls.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,254
  • Days Won:  1

Kelly future should be directly tied to his extension he gave CBG and CJS.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

On 3/21/2022 at 8:36 AM, puc86 said:

VPMK should be fired, there really isn’t any other conclusion that makes sense. He is the worst, as concluded by results.

I am no apologist for MK by any means; I've said many times I didn't care for the Jeff Scott hire and I still don't.

HOWEVER, Michael Kelly is the literally the only one to make progress on the football facilities that are 15 years overduean IPF and OCS.  So he absolutely is the best in that particular category, which coincidentally is something that P5s seem to have as a very low bar of entry, for applicants.  Big12: "Do you invest in your own product?  No?  Then why should we?"

Nobody thinks the on the field/court results are good enough.  "tHeN wHy ThE eXtEnSiOnS?!?!" I hear ppl ready to yell.  To lock in costs so you have a known quantity when you bust out your spreadsheet and plan for the next investments of football.  Football is the single most important key to unlocking success everywhere.  Basketball (and every other sport for that matter) can crap the bed for all I care because it's never bringing us media money that will sustain athletics overall.

Football can.

So again, Michael Kelly is the only one proven to execute on a plan that gives a guaranteed 100% return on investment for football.

What I mean by that, is while replacing coaches who do bad is within his control, it is not 100% guaranteed to improve anything.  Ffs look at Scott *as* an example of that.  But us having facilities that we need is guaranteed to be better than us not having them.

Edited by Ghostbuster
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  1

43 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

I am no apologist for MK by any means; I've said many times I didn't care for the Jeff Scott hire and I still don't.

HOWEVER, Michael Kelly is the literally the only one to make progress on the football facilities that are 15 years overduean IPF and OCS.  So he absolutely is the best in that particular category, which coincidentally is something that P5s seem to have as a very low bar of entry, for applicants.  Big12: "Do you invest in your own product?  No?  Then why should we?"

Nobody thinks the on the field/court results are good enough.  "tHeN wHy ThE eXtEnSiOnS?!?!" I hear ppl ready to yell.  To lock in costs so you have a known quantity when you bust out your spreadsheet and plan for the next investments of football.  Football is the single most important key to unlocking success everywhere.  Basketball (and every other sport for that matter) can crap the bed for all I care because it's never bringing us media money that will sustain athletics overall.

Football can.

So again, Michael Kelly is the only one proven to execute on a plan that gives a guaranteed 100% return on investment for football.

What I mean by that, is while replacing coaches who do bad is within his control, it is not 100% guaranteed to improve anything.  Ffs look at Scott *as* an example of that.  But us having facilities that we need is guaranteed to be better than us not having them.

So, I like what you said here; and it is pretty accurate. Looking as USF athletics objectively, we are bad at everything with voids in key areas. If your program doesn’t have a good foundation, what coach of quality will come here. If we take a breath, take some time and invest in ourselves, improve core areas (facilities, university support, investments…..), then we are actually building upon a foundation for the future. We need to understand we are basically building from scratch. We now have our President, VPMK has shown he can get facilities built and has good connections for conference expansion, we now have a BoT that supports athletics, IPF is being built and an OCS plan that is progressing like we have never seen before. Going through a complete rebuild sucks, but with a good plan, foundation and discipline, the fruits of the labor will be sweet!! 🤘

• Upvote 3
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, Ghostbuster said:

Football can.

I'm not totally sure but the money MBB brought in in past years may be the only profit sport we've had.  For some reason remember someone on here had some kind of analysis by sport of revenue v expenses.