• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can Brian Gregory still be fired after the season?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Ok so he signed an extension, my understanding with the contract is that they buyout from the original contract did not change. Does anyone have a confirmation on this? Does this buyout make the number of years left on the contract moot? 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Great question!  

Edited by El_Toro_86

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,265
  • Days Won:  255

Nothing says I’m awesome at my job and you should come work for me quite like firing someone a couple of months after extending their contract. Especially when you blabbed on about how if you just stay with a losing coach long enough they will eventually win because of continuity. This  would require acknowledgment that the idea was as dumb as any sane people thought when it happened.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,408
  • Days Won:  3

Nope but you can fire the rest of the staff and start over there.

Looks like the contract ends 2025-2026 season. But again, is the contract guaranteed in its entirety? Or is their a separate buyout amount? After some review I don’t think it is separate. But, from what I can tell,  It looks like he gets paid $1.6 mil annually. Thus, a buyout won’t happen until 2 more years at the earliest. Even then we would be paying $3.2 mil….FML….

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

2 hours ago, puc86 said:

Nothing says I’m awesome at my job and you should come work for me quite like firing someone a couple of months after extending their contract. Especially when you blabbed on about how if you just stay with a losing coach long enough they will eventually win because of continuity. This  would require acknowledgment that the idea was as dumb as any sane people thought when it happened.

See also: Holtz, Skip.

• Contract extension July 2012
  • Fired December 2012

19 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Looks like the contract ends 2025-2026 season. But again, is the contract guaranteed in its entirety? Or is their a separate buyout amount? After some review I don’t think it is separate. But, from what I can tell,  It looks like he gets paid $1.6 mil annually. Thus, a buyout won’t happen until 2 more years at the earliest. Even then we would be paying $3.2 mil….FML….

Do you remember when we were paying Holtz and Heath to NOT coach at USF while also paying for actual coaches to be here?  Yeah... good times.

7 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

See also: Holtz, Skip.

• Contract extension July 2012
  • Fired December 2012

Do you remember when we were paying Holtz and Heath to NOT coach at USF while also paying for actual coaches to be here?  Yeah... good times.

Yeah, not going to happen now…I was more curious with the potential time line.  For sure he will have to go another two years before a move could even be considered. 

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Days Won:  1

Gregory will be here for 2-3 more years thanks to the extension. Any wise ad would have waited until after the season concluded to either fire Gregory or give him an extension 

7 minutes ago, bullsfan27 said:

Gregory will be here for 2-3 more years thanks to the extension. Any wise ad would have waited until after the season concluded to either fire Gregory or give him an extension 

Waiting for turnover in the off season. I bet we lose about four players. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,352
  • Days Won:  5

10 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Waiting for turnover in the off season. I bet we lose about four players. 

But why? Are they being stymied? Coach can call a play but it’s up to his players to react and execute. These kids these days, sheesh