• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can Brian Gregory still be fired after the season?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

9 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Well not "quite" ...  6 months (July to December) is not really a "year".  So he was extended at the end of his second year and fired mid-way through his third year... or, if you prefer, at the end of his third season.

And if I REALLY split hairs and pick some nits here... since USF's fiscal year starts July 1, the reports he was extended AND fired both happened in his third year (although his first year as a coach was for less than 1/2 a fiscal year mid-Jan to June).

9 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Well not "quite" ...  6 months (July to December) is not really a "year".  So he was extended at the end of his second year and fired mid-way through his third year... or, if you prefer, at the end of his third season.

And if I REALLY split hairs and pick some nits here... since USF's fiscal year starts July 1, the reports he was extended AND fired both happened in his third year (although his first year as a coach was for less than 1/2 a fiscal year mid-Jan to June).

You are correct, I can’t believe we extended him after a 5-7 season, there were obvious concerns and they faded badly to end the year.  I guess nowadays a 5-7 record may get you a lifetime contract.  The good ole days.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

10 minutes ago, puc86 said:

You dodged a bullet

BDC1E16A-5AD0-49A4-94C8-C380FA93C48B.jpeg

OUCH.  Sometimes the fantasy is better than reality.  I was picturing this:

image.png.98aa8893e76164c7178f1a4947a0566a.png

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

5 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

OUCH.  Sometimes the fantasy is better than reality.  I was picturing this:

image.png.98aa8893e76164c7178f1a4947a0566a.png

You have to remember that while men can age like a fine wine women are more like bread

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Firing someone after giving them an extension even while knowing they are awful at their job is cause for your own termination.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

39 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

Firing someone after giving them an extension even while knowing they are awful at their job is cause for your own termination.

Kelly will never be fired as long as the stadium is being built. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

20 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Looks like the contract ends 2025-2026 season. But again, is the contract guaranteed in its entirety? Or is their a separate buyout amount? After some review I don’t think it is separate. But, from what I can tell,  It looks like he gets paid $1.6 mil annually. Thus, a buyout won’t happen until 2 more years at the earliest. Even then we would be paying $3.2 mil….FML….

Is this what you're talking about, from the contract itself ....

Termination by University. The University may terminate Coach's employment under this Agreement at any time without cause.

A. Liquidated Damages: In the event that the University terminates this Agreement or otherwise relieves Coach of is duties hereunder for reasons other than ‘or cause, the sole obligation of the University under this Agreement shall be to continue to provide the Base Salary to Coach as set forth in Paragraph V above (exclusive of benefits) as if Coach were fully performing his duties for a period equal to the lesser of the time remaining in the Term or 20 (twenty) weeks (the, “Liquidated Damages Period"). This payment may be accelerated at the sole discretion of the University. By agreeing to this Agreement, Coach agrees that this amount will constitute full settlement of any and all claims that Coach might otherwise assert against the University and any of its agents or employees. The Parties agree that the foregoing shall not be construed as a penalty and shall be the sole remedy of the Coach against the University for any issue relating to termination of employment.

11 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Is this what you're talking about, from the contract itself ....

Termination by University. The University may terminate Coach's employment under this Agreement at any time without cause.

A. Liquidated Damages: In the event that the University terminates this Agreement or otherwise relieves Coach of is duties hereunder for reasons other than ‘or cause, the sole obligation of the University under this Agreement shall be to continue to provide the Base Salary to Coach as set forth in Paragraph V above (exclusive of benefits) as if Coach were fully performing his duties for a period equal to the lesser of the time remaining in the Term or 20 (twenty) weeks (the, “Liquidated Damages Period"). This payment may be accelerated at the sole discretion of the University. By agreeing to this Agreement, Coach agrees that this amount will constitute full settlement of any and all claims that Coach might otherwise assert against the University and any of its agents or employees. The Parties agree that the foregoing shall not be construed as a penalty and shall be the sole remedy of the Coach against the University for any issue relating to termination of employment.

So how are you reading this? Is it saying that his payout is 20 weeks? 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

7 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

So how are you reading this? Is it saying that his payout is 20 weeks? 

20 weeks of his base salary of $400K. How else can you read that?

3 minutes ago, Triple B said:

20 weeks of his base salary of $400K. How else can you read that?

Just wanting to make sure when I sign the $8mil check to Kelly. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  1

13 hours ago, Triple B said:

Exactly, so again, your assertion that MK has lost it is fairly ridiculous. You can't lose something you never had ....

I think it's fair to say he has lost the market share he started with for football and to a lesser degree basketball. I should have phrased the original statement better.

Edited by SantaBull