• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can Brian Gregory still be fired after the season?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 minute ago, jchem1995 said:

But why? Are they being stymied? Coach can call a play but it’s up to his players to react and execute. These kids these days, sheesh

They are on a sinking ship and probably won’t take some ownership. Plus, every team will be losing some players on almost every team. It’s what the cool kids do now 😀

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,885
  • Days Won:  67

40 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

See also: Holtz, Skip.

• Contract extension July 2012
  • Fired December 2012

Do you remember when we were paying Holtz and Heath to NOT coach at USF while also paying for actual coaches to be here?  Yeah... good times.

I am going to do this without googling it but didn’t he get extended start of his second year after ND and get fired after his third year?

6 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I am going to do this without googling it but didn’t he get extended start of his second year after ND and get fired after his third year?

That’s how I remember it. I thought the extension was after year two, he coached year three, then got fired the day after the last game. 

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,831
  • Days Won:  22

27 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Waiting for turnover in the off season. I bet we lose about four players. 

Four? I would say at least 8 are over their heads playing in the AAC and would do better in smaller conferences.

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

That’s how I remember it. I thought the extension was after year two, he coached year three, then got fired the day after the last game. 

Yep, went 5-7 year 2 after beating ND, 3-9 the next year and they canned him, the good ole days when we won more than a couple in a year. 

10 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

Four? I would say at least 8 are over their heads playing in the AAC and would do better in smaller conferences.

That’s probably right, I was more referring to those who will leave on their own because of the program itself.

14 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

That’s probably right, I was more referring to those who will leave on their own because of the program itself.

It is hard to say, team is bad, players regress and the product is boring.  Hat trick of a **** show and definition of a dumpster fire.  #goBulls

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

How do they keep selling this putrid product?  Who wants to buy tickets or attend these games?

At least with football, there are a few slivers to give you hope?  With CBG locked in for another few years, there is absolutely nothing with MBB to give anyone hope that this will get turned around.  I’d hate to be the one making calls to season ticket holders.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  1

To the OP, yes Gregory can still be fired after the end of the season and the buyout is still 20-weeks of his annual salary or roughly $450k - reportedly there was no change to the buyout in his contract with the extension.

The bigger issue is for Kelly - firing a guy just a couple months after extending him in such a public way will further damage his credibility. With the downward trajectory he has the athletic department on, any additional missteps will cripple his ability to fundraise and rally support for the program. Gregory likely gets put on notice publicly after the season and gets a prove-it season in 2022-23.

For Kelly, has lost the Tampa Bay area and suspect that the support that remains within the 5 miles radius around campus will not last forever. The athletic department is a show of its former self.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,831
  • Days Won:  22

29 minutes ago, SantaBull said:

To the OP, yes Gregory can still be fired after the end of the season and the buyout is still 20-weeks of his annual salary or roughly $450k - reportedly there was no change to the buyout in his contract with the extension.

The bigger issue is for Kelly - firing a guy just a couple months after extending him in such a public way will further damage his credibility. With the downward trajectory he has the athletic department on, any additional missteps will cripple his ability to fundraise and rally support for the program. Gregory likely gets put on notice publicly after the season and gets a prove-it season in 2022-23.

For Kelly, has lost the Tampa Bay area and suspect that the support that remains within the 5 miles radius around campus will not last forever. The athletic department is a show of its former self.

I agree with you that he will get probably one to even two more years to improve. The conference will be easier in 2023 meaning that if he can add a couple of decent players in next two years, he might do ok.

sad reality for basketball fans is that the program is really in the back burner. The emphasis right now and rightly so is on improving football and getting OCS. Our donor base is limited and we are just not going to waste money on basketball right now. That worked for UCF we’re they invested in football and basketball was an afterthought.