• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can Brian Gregory still be fired after the season?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

7 minutes ago, SantaBull said:

If you go back and read I was referencing that Kelly has lost the Tampa Bay area, not MBB. Although I do remember many years where we averaged more fans that what we have seen this season, and I do recall a sell out roughly 30 years ago against the Gators and the mullet!

My bad if I wasn't clear about that.

I think understood and the question remains, when did USF HAVE the Tampa Bay area enough for any loss to be blamed on MK ...... or if you're referring to MK personally having the Tampa Bay area, when did HE ever have the area? The comment about losing the area kind of didn't make any sense.

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

If we get a stadium, and more importantly start winning in FB, the basketball team can lose all it wants. 

1311895085_fingerwag.gif.df8ba63f6ebd6dc77250f4d2c2aca17e.gif

• Haha 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,269
  • Days Won:  255

4 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

See also: Holtz, Skip.

• Contract extension July 2012
  • Fired December 2012

Do you remember when we were paying Holtz and Heath to NOT coach at USF while also paying for actual coaches to be here?  Yeah... good times.

No one said it was impossible to do and I said it was indicative of being a feckless leader. Skip was one season to the next and no one looks back at it as a good decision, no one. Indecisiveness isn’t typically something people look for in a leader and doing a 180 on a decision you made a couple of months after you made it is pretty indecisive and I would venture to say incompetent.

16 minutes ago, puc86 said:

No one said it was impossible to do and I said it was indicative of being a feckless leader. Skip was one season to the next and no one looks back at it as a good decision, no one. Indecisiveness isn’t typically something people look for in a leader and doing a 180 on a decision you made a couple of months after you made it is pretty indecisive and I would venture to say incompetent.

Sounds pretty decisive to me. If things transpire in those couple of months, like, among other things, having your worse conference loss to a team that hadn't won a conference game, along with possible problems within the staff, and you think, at that point in time, the best thing for the program is to let him go no matter what the cost and do it ....... that's pretty ******* decisive to me.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

42 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Their new basketball and football venues opened within weeks of each other so it's kind of hard to call their investing in basketball an afterthought.

Their stadium was built a year earlier than their arena. But they also invested in football with OLeary and were winning CZuSA titles while their basketball program spun their wheels struggling with Kirk Speraw. So spending on a program isn’t just facilities but also coaches and their success was football, not basketball.

Those of us that love basketball might not like it, but if USZf moves to Big12 it will be based on football success and not basketball.

So I do understand that all our money needs to go to football right now, which is why I think Gregory will remain as much as I hate it.

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Sounds pretty decisive to me. If things transpire in those couple of months, like, among other things, having your worse conference loss to a team that hadn't won a conference game, along with possible problems within the staff, and you think, at that point in time, the best thing for the program is to let him go no matter what the cost and do it ....... that's pretty ******* decisive to me.

Nothing has transpired it’s exactly the same

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,479
  • Days Won:  13

4 hours ago, Friscobull said:

I am going to do this without googling it but didn’t he get extended start of his second year after ND and get fired after his third year?

Posted July 6, 2012

i?img=%2Fi%2Fespn%2Fespn_logos%2Fespn_re

USF coach Skip Holtz has signed a contract extension through the 2017 season that will pay him $2 million annually, the school announced Friday.Holtz is going into his...

----

Posted Dec 2, 2012

https://www.si.com/college/2012/12/02/usf-fires-coach-skip-holtz-ap

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  1

33 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I think understood and the question remains, when did USF HAVE the Tampa Bay area enough for any loss to be blamed on MK ...... or if you're referring to MK personally having the Tampa Bay area, when did HE ever have the area? The comment about losing the area kind of didn't make any sense.

Attendance for football has fallen in half since our last winning season and football and MBB is pretty much a joke when it comes up in conversation among alot of the people I know personally and professionally. 

I guess you could say they never "had the Tampa Bay area" relative to the Lightning and Bucs, but there are very few casual USF fans left and many of diehards are in hibernation.

Each year under Kelly has gotten progressively worse and it shows up in fan interest and attendance. I guess the height of interest under Kelly could be debated.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,893
  • Days Won:  67

58 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Posted July 6, 2012

i?img=%2Fi%2Fespn%2Fespn_logos%2Fespn_re

USF coach Skip Holtz has signed a contract extension through the 2017 season that will pay him $2 million annually, the school announced Friday.Holtz is going into his...

----

Posted Dec 2, 2012

https://www.si.com/college/2012/12/02/usf-fires-coach-skip-holtz-ap

Thank you Jim he was extended during his 2nd year  and was fired at the end of his third year.

20 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Thank you Jim he was extended during his 2nd year  and was fired at the end of his third year.

And most importantly no one thought of that extension as a good idea, no one views Doug as a good ad, CBG got extended for having a losing program hemorrhaging players while engulfed in a racial controversy because VPMK said losing is awesome and not your fault during Covid as long as the head coach stays the same you have continuity (underlings are not afforded the same luxury) and that that’s what matters instead of winning. We still have Covid and it just delayed games in the past week and losing has only continued. This is VPMK’s vision following the natural course one should suspect from this type of thinking.

Edited by puc86