• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How do we recruit….

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

On 10/2/2021 at 6:57 PM, puc86 said:

What has he done the last two years he had that opportunity? The problem isn’t time and opportunity it’s what he has done with his time and opportunities. He and his staff are the issue, it’s really that simple.

he has had one year! he needs at least 2 more recruiting classes. at least!!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

On 10/3/2021 at 8:15 AM, Brad said:

Going to be harder to recruit now that there are thee levels for top players to consider.  I think the coach plays a much bigger role in recruiting than facilities.  And, as has been pointed out multiple times, it’s what you do with players once they’re here.  Leavitt put a lot of players in the NFL with no facilities and not a large sequence of cute little stars around their names.

a top recruiter is a salesman

a top trial lawyer is a salesman

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,140
  • Days Won:  39

Also, have you seen a little position called QUARTERBACK lately?  We obviously have the guy.  I would say on the recruiting pie chart that takes up a lot.  

• Like 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, bulloni said:

Just curious what page your seeing? Looking at 247 and we have 17 secondary offers out right now

https://247sports.com/college/south-florida/Season/2022-Football/Offers/

smoke smoking GIF by Midland

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

22 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Also, have you seen a little position called QUARTERBACK lately?  We obviously have the guy.  I would say on the recruiting pie chart that takes up a lot.  

The fact that we have a QB identified is a MAJOR hurdle.  Look at our best seasons, we had Matt, BJ, and Q.  On what we have seen so far, IMO Timmy is ahead of those 3 when they were a freshman.  I would imagine that BJ is giving some tips to Timmy, and what a great mentor for him to have.  Focus on building the team from inside out by building OL/DL depth, followed my LBS who can run sideline to sideline, safeties/dbs that can cover and offer run support.  Then I would focus on building depth at offense skill sets RB/WR.  As we have some pieces to work with

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, monktified said:

Recruiting is very different now than what it was just a few seasons ago.  We need CJS to build pipelines around FL and get that talent to at least have a visit.  Immediate playing time will be a positive to other places can't offer.  At this point we need to go after kids early like we did with Timmy had bank on some of these kids blooming their Sr. year.  I think solid 3 star recruits will help us move the needle, sprinkle in some JUCOs, then supplement with some transfer portal players.  The portal is so fluid that guys are literally just playing a year and moving on.  I think those players you want to just want to make sure they are an immediate contributor.  

So, if you get a kid from the portal he'll more than likely have experience and then can not transfer again without sitting out a year so more likely to stay.

You bring in a kid from high school who, as we know about incoming Fr, has a learning curve. Then after being here a year can move on like a free agent.

Maybe the coaches know this.  

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Checked the transfer portal and looks like this guy is projected to go to USF already https://247sports.com/Player/James-Ash-46055320/

DL from Wake Forest that had 10 P5 offers including LSU and Miami. Need as many guys like this headed our way as possible

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Option 1 - identify local studs... and then their buddies who are average from HS. It's a little bit of the long game. Recruit 5* Joe, but also 2* John who is his buddy. 5* Joe is going to go to Bama/UF/etc., we get 2* John, John stays in touch with Joe, tells him how he could be getting a ton of playing time here, try to get him back as a transfer down the line. Don't think coaches can maintain contact with guys once they have gone elsewhere, but their HS friends can.

Option 2 - Leavitt didn't have anything better to recruit to when he brought in Jenks, Nate Allen, Selvie... His personality and the ability to play and build something won over Jenkins if I recall. Selvie didn't have any other offers, and was a HS Center. Allen was a HS QB... what Leavitt had was the ability to recognize athleticism and creativity for how to use it. How did Leavitt recruit a stead string of LBs that were amazing? It's an eye for talent that I don't think we have had on the defensive side of the ball since Leavitt left. I feel like that side of the ball is probably a little easier to recruit too if you connect with the players. Across college football, defense in general stinks. People are so infatuated with flashy offenses, the defense is neglected. Find a DC who can connect with defenders and I think we could pull in some pretty good recruits there. BJM was probably good at the recruiting side, bad at the coaching side. Strong should have been good, but didn't care enough to try.

Non-Negotiable for me - get some Athletes! We used to laugh at teams not being prepared for "Florida Speed", now, BYU has people running away from our guys. There is no excuse not to have guys that are faster than pretty much all of our conference opponents. Speed can make up for some of the talent gap.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

15 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

Option 1 - identify local studs... and then their buddies who are average from HS. It's a little bit of the long game. Recruit 5* Joe, but also 2* John who is his buddy. 5* Joe is going to go to Bama/UF/etc., we get 2* John, John stays in touch with Joe, tells him how he could be getting a ton of playing time here, try to get him back as a transfer down the line. Don't think coaches can maintain contact with guys once they have gone elsewhere, but their HS friends can.

On that tangent: recruit a lot of guys from the Tampa/Orlando area, they still have teammates in other classes in high school they can help recruit to your school.

Timmy and Jimmy's high school has a pair of brother DB's that are both high 3/low 4 star recruits. If we we're a little better and on their radar it probably would have been a huge advantage for them to come join up with their star teammates they won the state championship with.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,638
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

Option 2 - Leavitt didn't have anything better to recruit to when he brought in Jenks, Nate Allen, Selvie... His personality and the ability to play and build something won over Jenkins if I recall. Selvie didn't have any other offers, and was a HS Center. Allen was a HS QB... what Leavitt had was the ability to recognize athleticism and creativity for how to use it. How did Leavitt recruit a stead string of LBs that were amazing? It's an eye for talent that I don't think we have had on the defensive side of the ball since Leavitt left. I feel like that side of the ball is probably a little easier to recruit too if you connect with the players. Across college football, defense in general stinks. People are so infatuated with flashy offenses, the defense is neglected. Find a DC who can connect with defenders and I think we could pull in some pretty good recruits there. BJM was probably good at the recruiting side, bad at the coaching side. Strong should have been good, but didn't care enough to try.

Non-Negotiable for me - get some Athletes! We used to laugh at teams not being prepared for "Florida Speed", now, BYU has people running away from our guys. There is no excuse not to have guys that are faster than pretty much all of our conference opponents. Speed can make up for some of the talent gap.

Now  someone finally gets it. Good coaches find and develop talent. We have no one bringing in and developing defensive players over the last 4 or 5 years .