• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Timmy McClain

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

36 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

This was more or less my thinking on Saturday night as well.  That and I believe the coaching staff wants to see how our lack of depth/backups look heading into conference play.

Yes this is a genius ploy.  Let's make sure our back ups get reps while our starters are still struggling with execution.  Brilliant!

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

10 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

**** that was a quick hook.

I'm guessing here, but I think the difference between Practice Cade and Game Cade was pretty stark and dramatic. I can't imagine CJS and co. making such a quick move away from him if that weren't the case. He was not abysmal out there, but he looked way to shaky and lacked confidence and that seemed to be permeating through the entire team. 

36 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

So does the fact that Timmy got the start mean we are done with The Cade experiment?

Maybe unless our coaches need to make sure our 3rd stringer is getting his reps just in case and of course to make sure our 1st and 2nd stringer don't get hurt playing football

4 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

31-10 in the 3rd isn't over.   Not even close to the same thing as 61-21 and this isn't 1980, no one is impressing polls with a TD bomb up 40.   Difference is in the coach and the aggressive style of said coach.

Again, you have a freshman qb leading an offense that needs reps, that was a great time to do it in game situation against a team that should essentially be equal to your team's backups.  Any coach with half a brain knows that.

Do we know whether Timmy was a little bit banged up? I thought he had a noticeable limp walking back to the huddle a few times and he took some hard (unnecessary) hits in the game. If he had some quad or hamstring soreness, the smarter move is to rest him to risk more serious injury. Not saying that was definitely the case, but it is certainly possible. 

2 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Do we know whether Timmy was a little bit banged up? I thought he had a noticeable limp walking back to the huddle a few times and he took some hard (unnecessary) hits in the game. If he had some quad or hamstring soreness, the smarter move is to rest him to risk more serious injury. Not saying that was definitely the case, but it is certainly possible. 

No, I don't know that, but I haven't heard a thing said to allude to that and he didn't look injured on the last series.  But you are correct, if CJS felt he was a little banged up and wanted to get him out of there it is a totally different story.    As I said, haven't heard that said and that isn't the argument anyone has tried to make to justify the move.

7 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I'm guessing here, but I think the difference between Practice Cade and Game Cade was pretty stark and dramatic. I can't imagine CJS and co. making such a quick move away from him if that weren't the case. He was not abysmal out there, but he looked way to shaky and lacked confidence and that seemed to be permeating through the entire team. 

I think, as I have said before, Cade was a place holder to give McClain couple of games to ease into it.  IF he looked great, then fine we hold off the McClain era, but if not then we move on

Edited by chapelbull
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, chapelbull said:

No, I don't know that, but I haven't heard a thing said to allude to that and he didn't look injured on the last series.  But you are correct, if CJS felt he was a little banged up and wanted to get him out of there it is a totally different story.    As I said, haven't heard that said and that isn't the argument anyone has tried to make to justify the move.

I thought he looked a little bit nicked up on the last two series he played. My guess is that if FAMU had actually made a game of it (gotten back to within 1 score) that Timmy would have been back on the field, but who knows. I just think without all of the facts it is a fool's errand to try and figure out what is the right or wrong choice to make. I agree, he could use more work, but I also agree that he is the key to the rest of this season and beyond. Losing him now to injury would be devastating for the momentum built over the last 1.5 games. Onward and upward to Provo! 

3 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I think, as I have said before, Cade was a place holder to give McClain couple of games to ease into it.  IF he looked great, then fine we hold off the McClain era, but if not then we move on

It's possible. It didn't make much sense for CJS to be singing his praises so vehemently if that were the case, but who knows. I do know that Cade looks scared out there and you can't have that. I always saw Timmy taking over before the end of the season, so I am not surprised either. I am slightly surprised that it was so soon, but I am happy to have him leading the team. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,409
  • Days Won:  3

6 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Yes this is a genius ploy.  Let's make sure our back ups get reps while our starters are still struggling with execution.  Brilliant!

Not sure if it is genius or not...  Guess time will tell.  Just stating that is what I was thinking they were doing.  He confirms it in the post game presser in the first two minutes.  When talking about the 2nd half drop off he talked about not having depth, injuries and developing young guys. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,705
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, chapelbull said:

What is he the tin man?  he's going to break an ankle handing off the ball?  Geez.  But what I really want us to do is to keep running the offense only up 31-10 in the 3rd quarter not run the clock out with our back up qb.   The freshman QB and his wr's need all the reps they can especially if we are using the left handed throwing as an excuse for dropped passes.  It would be different if we looked like a well oiled machine against our FCS opponent, but we didn't ... not even close

Great, tell this to Cousin Ricky and BJ Daniels since their conversations is what I was referring to in my comment.  Try to keep up

I spoke with him at the groundbreaking thing so it was a couple of weeks ago.  Dated information obviously.