• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fire Jeff Scott

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, TakeItOrLeavitt said:

Ah, yes.. the season hasn't officially started until we get our first "Fire..." post.

It's good to be back!

That will happen when you are working on the culture but not displaying a since shred of improvement no matter how much change you instill 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Game 1 of year 2 and ill have to say while I didn't expect a win we look still bad.  No improvement. 

Scott could be the guy but right now its looking really bad and will look even worse next week.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  153
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, Leviathan said:

I forgot we only won 1 game last year. I really don't remember anything other than getting trounced by ND. The apathy is real. 

Context:

We only won 1 game, in a COVID year, with no spring camp, with a new head coach, after firing a coach that completely cratered the program (fired an entire year too late to stop the bleeding sooner)…

——

I think these facts are being completely lost in all of these threads.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  960
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, HyperBullee said:

I think these facts are being completely lost in all of these threads

To be fair, your right; but this is also 10 years of frustration and disappointment. Since Leavitt was unjustly shown the door, it has been a terrible downward spiral. We had 2 years of QF magic, but we couldn’t go anywhere meaningful because of being stuck in the AAC. Couple that with B12 expansion news and the potential purgatory we are facing and it’s hard to be sympathetic or even understanding. The apathy is setting in for me too. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, HyperBullee said:

Context:

We only won 1 game, in a COVID year, with no spring camp, with a new head coach, after firing a coach that completely cratered the program (fired an entire year too late to stop the bleeding sooner)…

——

I think these facts are being completely lost in all of these threads.

Scott might be more likeable than Strong but Strong would have won 3-4 games last year.  Scott may be changing the culture but the next coach will be the one to take advantage of it at the rate he is going.  From a pure coaching perspective, Scott and his staff look like the worst we have ever had here.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

Maybe just a TD from the 4 yard line against their 3rd string would have given HOPE. I know Weiss is supposed to be an Offense genius and at FAU they did roll but...Kiffin was there and that boy knows O. He didn't take him to Miss?? I hope he is a genius or just kinda sorta good. Maybe just 8 plays thats all but 8 plays they can run really really good...if I see that dive into center of line one more time I'll prob need a new tv..it worked with marlon and crew but........

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  126

33 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Maybe just a TD from the 4 yard line against their 3rd string would have given HOPE. I know Weiss is supposed to be an Offense genius and at FAU they did roll but...Kiffin was there and that boy knows O. He didn't take him to Miss?? I hope he is a genius or just kinda sorta good. Maybe just 8 plays thats all but 8 plays they can run really really good...if I see that dive into center of line one more time I'll prob need a new tv..it worked with marlon and crew but........

I think the coordinators could just be his current coordinators, but if some talented guys with Clemson ties become available, CJS will upgrade. If the FAU guys were so good, Kiffin would have taken them with him...I wouldn't totally writeoff the OC and DC as people can get better if they are willing to work harder than everyone else, but who knows if that will happen.

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  153

3 hours ago, jg233 said:

Scott might be more likeable than Strong but Strong would have won 3-4 games last year.  Scott may be changing the culture but the next coach will be the one to take advantage of it at the rate he is going.  From a pure coaching perspective, Scott and his staff look like the worst we have ever had here.

Based on what evidence? Strong is the one who destroyed the team. He couldn’t fix what he messed up. That was literally the reason he lost his job. 

He was given an entire additional year to turn the Titanic around; he just couldn’t and didn’t do it. There were ZERO indications that Strong would have navigated us back from the situation he led our program to. Especially during these times! With Scott, and all our our medical talent on campus, we barely have 80% vaccinated. You think Strong would’ve managed anything better than that?

I know that has no direct tie to X’s and O’s, but it does indicate (even at a minute level) dedication to the team.

We have hit the iceberg. People are wet, cold, mad about the lost time and money. Some will be lost along the way as we paddle our way back but, like many people who were on the Titanic, we will eventually make it back home. We will be more cautious about our boat and who’s navigating, but we will make it back eventually.

Edited by HyperBullee
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I still think the worst coach and staff we have had is Holtz. Sure, he beat ND and Clemson... with Leavitt's players who knew how to win those types of games. He also took a really good program and ran it into the ground. He got like 50% more money for assistant coaches than Leavitt had his last year and used it to give his buddies 80% raises from ECU. They were all awful. He took us out of the national spotlight in a time when it mattered most (except for now maybe, but there aren't any lights around us right now). So far, my analysis is... Holtz -> Strong -> Scott -> Tags -> The Jim

Scott edges out Strong because charlie actually jumped us backwards quite a bit while Scott is either level at bad, or maybe a slight backslide toward really bad.

Not sure he should be fired yet... am absolutely sure that firing Leavitt was the dumbest thing any NCAA Football program has ever done. And I am sure there are some still around here who said... "good, we had plateaued under Leavitt"... How great it is to be looking up at that plateau now and wishing for the glory days.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,089
  • Days Won:  469

Just a quick thought - someone get FireJeffScott.com.  Just kidding

The whole idea of firing coaches and hiring coaches should make us all (at USF, especially) think.  We've been through this conversation before as we left the BE and became a "stepping stone" school for young, unproven or old, washed up "has been" coaches.  Millions gone for youngsters to learn on our dime or for the has beens to pad their retirement.

Our success on hiring coaches has been dismal.  With that said, we should be a heck of a lot more cautious on both the hiring and the firing.  Had we understood this HUGE gamble when the decision to off Leavitt was floated around long before Miller/McMurphy, we might have handled that differently and obviously better.  

We're a rookie football school that has made nearly every rookie mistake.  It's gonna take a hell of a comeback. 

• Upvote 1