• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

An On-Campus Stadium, is never coming to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

I've already seen articles about how RJS is becoming outdated.  Hard to believe as it feels like just a few years ago I was sitting in a brand new stadium watching the up and coming Buccaneers playing the Chicago Bears.  That was September 1998, almost 23 years ago, and I want to say the average life span of an NFL stadium is like 30 years.  The Georgia Dome (which is the worst place I've ever watched a football game, btw) was replaced after 22.  Now that the team is riding the wave of the Super Bowl, I wouldn't be completely shocked to start hearing some rumblings.  

I think it's more likely we will be playing in a new NFL stadium long before our own OCS.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424

9 minutes ago, BullsWinBucsWin said:

I've already seen articles about how RJS is becoming outdated.  Hard to believe as it feels like just a few years ago I was sitting in a brand new stadium watching the up and coming Buccaneers playing the Chicago Bears.  That was September 1998, almost 23 years ago, and I want to say the average life span of an NFL stadium is like 30 years.  The Georgia Dome (which is the worst place I've ever watched a football game, btw) was replaced after 22.  Now that the team is riding the wave of the Super Bowl, I wouldn't be completely shocked to start hearing some rumblings.  

I think it's more likely we will be playing in a new NFL stadium long before our own OCS.

I don't think the region has an appetite to build a new stadium - we can't even get a transportation tax that was approved by voters going, without lawsuits derailing it. While I think the Rays are first in line for a new stadium, I could see the region letting them go, but building a new stadium for the Bucs would be the next referendum in if Tampa wants to remain a big league city.

There is a long history of metro (or financially challenged) schools sharing pro stadiums, and even though its a bit dated RJS is still a good one. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

36 minutes ago, bjef4844 said:

I don't think the region has an appetite to build a new stadium - we can't even get a transportation tax that was approved by voters going, without lawsuits derailing it. While I think the Rays are first in line for a new stadium, I could see the region letting them go, but building a new stadium for the Bucs would be the next referendum in if Tampa wants to remain a big league city.

There is a long history of metro (or financially challenged) schools sharing pro stadiums, and even though its a bit dated RJS is still a good one. 

Just think, if they don't build a new stadium for the Bucs, they could leave town and we could build a new Medical School in one of the parking lots and, voila, we have an OCS.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Just think, if they don't build a new stadium for the Bucs, they could leave town and we could build a new Medical School in one of the parking lots and, voila, we have an OCS.  

I like this plan

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I like this plan

Not you've gone and done it.  Agreeing with me will make me rethink it.  😃

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Not you've gone and done it.  Agreeing with me will make me rethink it.  😃

Sorry I meant I hate free stadiums that have the only issue with the current stadium removed (the sweetheart deal Tampa gave the Buccaneers). 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

Who cares

Seriously. 

If we are running a winning program, RayJay is getting filled up, we are beating UCF to a pulp, Athletics is doing their job, RayJay continues to get updates... does anyone seriously care the street the freaking stadium is on. 

This debate is exhausting. Paying $250m to get a stadium that is not as good or high-capacity as what we have to change the address to closer is ridiculous. If we build it at University Mall, students still have to get bussed in - do you think the barriers to entry have changed? Maybe a marginal 5 or 10 minutes. 

This is low bang for a high buck. 

Oh and football attendance is dropping nationally. As is youth participation. As is viewership. 

This is the new Jim Leavitt conversation. 

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273

1 hour ago, bjef4844 said:

For the NFL we do...all the ownership has to do is threaten to leave...NFL has far bigger pull as opposed to MLB at least in this region...watch...a new stadium will be built...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

This is essentially what Georgia State did when they bought the old Atlanta Braves stadium.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,569

5 minutes ago, DJBulls said:

For the NFL we do...all the ownership has to do is threaten to leave...NFL has far bigger pull as opposed to MLB at least in this region...watch...a new stadium will be built...

This........and/or a few years of Super Bowl host city snubs.  They'll build a new one.

• Upvote 1