• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF football just got a nice break...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

3 hours ago, The LCRR said:

This is a great hire for them. However, y'all keep bringing up Strong. This is Scott's team and I sure as hell saw who he is this fall. The best move he made is go to the portal and find some players. This is what Strong should have did. USF would make a great Last Chance U kinda school. 

"Y'all" didn't keep bringing up Strong and it has nothing to do with this team .... the hire of "retread" Malzahn was compared to us hiring retread Strong and I said it isn't the same thing

Guest Jonesy Bull
17 hours ago, Triple B said:

While "a whatever" maybe be a little too simplified, perpetuating the idea that Auburn didn't play that game the same way they played the SECCG, or even a reg SEC conf game, is far from being unrealistic ...

Yeah "whatever" game was a little over exaggerating I'll admit.  I think everyone gets my point.

Guest Jonesy Bull
12 hours ago, The LCRR said:

This is a great hire for them. However, y'all keep bringing up Strong. This is Scott's team and I sure as hell saw who he is this fall. The best move he made is go to the portal and find some players. This is what Strong should have did. USF would make a great Last Chance U kinda school. 

I get a feeling that you are a knights troll.

Great hire?  On the surface it looks good, but we will see.

Regarding what I highlighted in Bold.  Seriously, are you dumb or a Knight's fan?  He inherited Strong's team.  He had no time to recruit.  He was in a Covid year and limited time with his team to prepare for the season.  The roster was depleted in many key areas.  Now if we don't see improvement year over year, then I'll agree that he is not the answer, but to base that statement on this past year alone is just idiotic.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

Malzahn's resume is fine.  Not great but not bad.  Its tough in the SEC west and they play Georgia every year, which was a tough draw a few years.  They also had Clemson in the regular season in 16 and 17.  He underperformed a tad for what Auburn should be but he didn't suck it up.

I dont care what their records say I think he is much better than Strong who did all his winning in between P5-P6 level.  Strong underperformed by about 5 wins a year based on where Texas should fall in line.

The question is, is he a guy that is content to cash in one more contract or a guy who still has the drive.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

29 minutes ago, slowdown said:

Malzahn's resume is fine.  Not great but not bad.  Its tough in the SEC west and they play Georgia every year, which was a tough draw a few years.  They also had Clemson in the regular season in 16 and 17.  He underperformed a tad for what Auburn should be but he didn't suck it up.

I dont care what their records say I think he is much better than Strong who did all his winning in between P5-P6 level.  Strong underperformed by about 5 wins a year based on where Texas should fall in line.

The question is, is he a guy that is content to cash in one more contract or a guy who still has the drive.

Anyone is better than Strong but not too many fired P5 coaches have done well moving to G5. There are a few, but they are an exception to the rule. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, slowdown said:

I think most everybody would admit that Malzahn is better than Strong.  There were red flags all over the place with his performance at Texas.

Malzahn is not an up and coming hot shot Coordinator that the Knats have hired recently.  He is a retread, and retreads have not fared very well recently even at the AAC level....We will see.  I think Malzahn will be decent but not great, gut feeling.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

23 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I think most everybody would admit that Malzahn is better than Strong.  There were red flags all over the place with his performance at Texas.

Malzahn is not an up and coming hot shot Coordinator that the Knats have hired recently.  He is a retread, and retreads have not fared very well recently even at the AAC level....We will see.  I think Malzahn will be decent but not great, gut feeling.

I don’t know about GM himself but they’re assembling quite the staff.  They’re getting basically all the best south Florida and Alabama recruiters. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

There are some parallels between Malzhan and Strong, but I think what Gus brings to the table that Strong did not is a similar philosophy and mindset to the prior two regimes at UCF. Looking at Strong's personality and comparing that to Taggart's and one can easily see why the USF football program went through some turmoil. 

I do see some similarities between Malzahn and Tuberville. Tuberville did well for awhile at Auburn, with one great season. He actually performed better in conference than did Malzahn. He went on to a mediocre showing at Texas Tech and then digressed as the coach of Cincinnati, ultimately forcing him to become a US Senator. They were both 55 years-old when they made the switch from Auburn to a "lesser" program. I would bet that we will see a similar trend with Malzahn. I think it is much more difficult to go from being the coach of such a massive program like Auburn and then taking the reins of a smaller program. There aren't many coaches that have done well under those circumstances. He will likely be a middling coach at UCF, but only time will tell. 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

Sometimes I think the AAC is like a rehab location for failed coaches to come and recharge in the hopes of going back to the big time in 2-3 years.              

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

40 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Sometimes I think the AAC is like a rehab location for failed coaches to come and recharge in the hopes of going back to the big time in 2-3 years.              

And it has not worked yet...