• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What happened...USF MBB...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Mods you can move this but since this board is slowing down I figured what the hell...

Q - Why is it a small program like Gonzaga has made it big time and is now a giant in basketball and we can’t? They have 3 of the top ten recruits leaning to them next year and have been top 10 pretty consistently. Just this week they are on the cover of SI with a major story. MBB has been present at USF since I think 1971 and have nothing more than 3 ncaa tournaments and only achieved 2 wins in one and the other two first round exits. 

Answer?

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

Basketball is their only money sport, and to the people of Spokane they are basically a pro team, so these kids walk on water up there. It’s kind of the opposite of playing MBB at USF these days I’d imagine. Kids like to play in those environments and with Gonzaga owning their conference the past 3 decades on a pretty consistent basis, kids will keep wanting to go there. It’s the same with the Big East schools that split off from the rest of us for BB only. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Mods you can move this but since this board is slowing down I figured what the hell...

Q - Why is it a small program like Gonzaga has made it big time and is now a giant in basketball and we can’t? They have 3 of the top ten recruits leaning to them next year and have been top 10 pretty consistently. Just this week they are on the cover of SI with a major story. MBB has been present at USF since I think 1971 and have nothing more than 3 ncaa tournaments and only achieved 2 wins in one and the other two first round exits. 

Answer?

This is a loaded question with no easy answers.

This is way over simplifying it but its all I got right now.  When we had the chances, we never hit on winning the big games.  We could never make a name for our selves  .  Sure we had some moments, Lee Rose coming was a big boost in being legit with a "name coach".  The Charley Bradley years were lot of fun (wasn't at USF yet so don't know much about it) but seeing  him on TV while I was in HS/FC.  Making the NCAA tournament twice in the early 90's was big, and at the time, thought that would be what would propel us.  We had one pretty **** good year in the Big East, and I believe that was the year 2012 where we won a play in game and a first round NCAA game, but came up so painfully short against Ohio get to the Sweet 16.  Great year by our standards but a missed opportunity.     

Our history has been so disjointed, no sustained success, no big time moments that you look back on and say this was our turning point for the program.  We have 1, yep 1 frickin CC and that was while in the Sun Belt.  Ridiculous.

To answer your why, really don't know, except to say we never capitalized on the few moments that we had success and turn it into something bigger.     

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Why is it a small program like Gonzaga has made it big time and is now a giant in basketball and we can’t?

There really isn't a need to attach us to this because there are hundreds of college basketball programs in the same boat as us, not having done what Gonzaga has ...... what makes them so special? Which is, I guess, probably addressed in the SI article.

Question to be answered about us is why we haven't been able to have had more success than we have in all the years of our existence.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

I don’t really follow the MBB team that closely but for those of you who do, how long is Gregory’s rope? 

Has the team shown steadily improvement since hes come in or nah?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Seattle is actually dunk city. Washington state has been a producing decent high school basketball players and Gonzaga is reaping the benefits. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

7 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

I don’t really follow the MBB team that closely but for those of you who do, how long is Gregory’s rope? 

Has the team shown steadily improvement since hes come in or nah?

The rope is pretty long I'm guessing. Recruiting seems to be better and he's run into some bad luck.  Last year he lost Yetna and this is the covid year.  So he'll get 2 years after this before the seat starts to get warm.  Still needs to find guys that can shoot the ball.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

This is pretty much a USF Athletics as a whole question in my opinion.

Edited by BDYZR
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

8 hours ago, Triple B said:

There really isn't a need to attach us to this because there are hundreds of college basketball programs in the same boat as us, not having done what Gonzaga has ...... what makes them so special? Which is, I guess, probably addressed in the SI article.

Question to be answered about us is why we haven't been able to have had more success than we have in all the years of our existence.

Like 2 or 3 good years in a row. A good year is always followed by a rebuild. 

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

This is pretty much a USF Athletics as a whole question in my opinion.

Ding ding ding...we have a winner!

• Upvote 1