• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What happened...USF MBB...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Mods you can move this but since this board is slowing down I figured what the hell...

Q - Why is it a small program like Gonzaga has made it big time and is now a giant in basketball and we can’t? They have 3 of the top ten recruits leaning to them next year and have been top 10 pretty consistently. Just this week they are on the cover of SI with a major story. MBB has been present at USF since I think 1971 and have nothing more than 3 ncaa tournaments and only achieved 2 wins in one and the other two first round exits. 

Answer?

My guess is every small or struggling program tries to emulate them...how many small programs exist?  Out of those programs, how many are like Gonzaga?

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

10 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Mods you can move this but since this board is slowing down I figured what the hell...

Q - Why is it a small program like Gonzaga has made it big time and is now a giant in basketball and we can’t? They have 3 of the top ten recruits leaning to them next year and have been top 10 pretty consistently. Just this week they are on the cover of SI with a major story. MBB has been present at USF since I think 1971 and have nothing more than 3 ncaa tournaments and only achieved 2 wins in one and the other two first round exits. 

Answer?

Because they come out with a good product year after year. We on the other hand in BB and FB climb into the spotlight then fade as fast into obscurity. I did read somewhere a few years back that Gonzaga is a good party school in addition to being a giant killer in bball. Now there is this...Gonzaga is a Catholic school and you know....catholic school kids are always better than public school kids!!  🤣😂😝😇😂

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we have never had great recruiters

Guest SittingBull
12 hours ago, 206BULL said:

Basketball is their only money sport

Wasn’t basketball USF only money sport for about 26 years?  

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

3 hours ago, BDYZR said:

This is pretty much a USF Athletics as a whole question in my opinion.

Sadly, were kinda "mid grade" w/ an occasional shot of ethanol--not sure why the petroleum reference but hell I'm going with it. We prob could use a shot of nitro see what happens...

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Looking at the success or lack of success in individual sports programs in a vacuum doesn’t identify the real issue.  Why has MBB under performed or why has the football program floundered or why has the baseball program not done much?  It all goes back to University priorities and leadership.  For the longest time athletics was an after thought at USF.  Hence why most programs are mired in mediocrity with the occasional successful season.  There are some exceptions, such as WBB and softball.  However, sustained success across the board requires a top down commitment.  Hopefully with a new President and Kelly as VPofA, things will change.  Only time will tell.  Building the **** IPF/football center would be a great start.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Days Won:  0

We have athletes that can dunk but we lack complete players that can shoot and make good decisions. I thought Gregory maybe had a plan and then he went best player available. Our offense has no identity and defense has gotten worse.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

On 2/12/2021 at 12:08 PM, El_Toro_86 said:

However, sustained success across the board requires a top down commitment.

And money. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. I think contributions have been a problem for USF from almost the beginning. Maybe the missing "commitment" has been to building a donor base but there are also plenty of arguments to be made why that building may have been a huge hill to climb ...

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,919
  • Days Won:  67

42 minutes ago, Triple B said:

And money. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. I think contributions have been a problem for USF from almost the beginning. Maybe the missing "commitment" has been to building a donor base but there are also plenty of arguments to be made why that building may have been a huge hill to climb ...

You got no money and you got no car, then you got no women and there you arebroke no money GIF

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

2 hours ago, Friscobull said:

You got no money and you got no car, then you got no women and there you arebroke no money GIF

I think that sums it up pretty succinctly ....