• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Signing Day - Part Deux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

36 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I know the service academies have a pretty high standard for acceptance, does a kid who has trouble getting into a state school like ours still qualify for an academy, but gets sent to a Prep School? I only ask this because if a kid who can’t quite qualify for us still has the grades to get into an academy Prep School? If so, that would make sense for our guys who have offers at Army or Navy, but can’t get into USF still have the grades to get into the Prep School.

The school where I work sent a football player last year to the West Point prep school because he couldn’t qualify for enrollment. They do have that as an option.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 minutes ago, Dave Glaser said:

The school where I work sent a football player last year to the West Point prep school because he couldn’t qualify for enrollment. They do have that as an option.

I guess my question is, does a kid who qualifies for a Prep School have lower academic standards than we do?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

10 hours ago, JTrue said:

Service Academies aren't that far behind Ivy league schools on acceptance. That's where my confusion was. If a kid is able to qualify for a scholarship at Army or Navy, how could they not qualify for us? Unless things have changed since I was teaching HS, dob't you someone from Congress to vouch for you?

Yes you need a nomination from a member of the US Congress and the admissions is very challenging.  We are preeminent but that is absolutely ridiculous.  I know most schools have a lower standards for athletics and an even lower one for BB and FB but this is a 9 year commitment and they don’t have a history of enrolling slugs.  One of my sisters works at the USAFA, I will hit her up on some intel.  

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

14 hours ago, Triple B said:

You do realize who you're dealing with here ....

Uncle Hulka?

Image result for sergeant hulka big toe

Edited by Rizman

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

6 hours ago, Rizman said:

Uncle Hulka?

No hogan

hogans heroes hogan GIF

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

8 hours ago, Rizman said:

Uncle Hulka?

Every foot needs a big toe

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

2 hours ago, Roaming Bull said:

No hogan

hogans heroes hogan GIF

Bob Crane knew how to party, I like that guy

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  90
  • Days Won:  0

I don’t follow recruiting and don’t know anything about the players that had offers from the academies. Just sharing my experience as my son is a West Point grad and I was involved during his time as president of the local parents club. All candidates are evaluated in three area: athletic, academic, and leadership. The athletes who enter enter through the prep school may not have demonstrated the academic performance of other candidates but the school must believe they have the ability because they must perform when they are admitted to the academy. Class size is typically in the 1100-1200 range as the schools are limited to 4400 total by law. They did have a waiver to the total during the height of the war. You can Google a class profile to see the data. The West Point profile shows 3% of class scored between 400-499 on the SAT. Also, after going through the process, I believe the academy will get you a nomination if they want you. I don’t have any proof but the year my son was accepted Senators Nelson and Martinez had a combined total of 37 kids accepted into the 5 service academies. In theory, they should have had 1 each to each school.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

9 hours ago, 84Bull said:

I don’t follow recruiting and don’t know anything about the players that had offers from the academies. Just sharing my experience as my son is a West Point grad and I was involved during his time as president of the local parents club. All candidates are evaluated in three area: athletic, academic, and leadership. The athletes who enter enter through the prep school may not have demonstrated the academic performance of other candidates but the school must believe they have the ability because they must perform when they are admitted to the academy. Class size is typically in the 1100-1200 range as the schools are limited to 4400 total by law. They did have a waiver to the total during the height of the war. You can Google a class profile to see the data. The West Point profile shows 3% of class scored between 400-499 on the SAT. Also, after going through the process, I believe the academy will get you a nomination if they want you. I don’t have any proof but the year my son was accepted Senators Nelson and Martinez had a combined total of 37 kids accepted into the 5 service academies. In theory, they should have had 1 each to each school.

Great info but some of this makes no sense, anyone that scores 400-499 is moron and no way they would let them into an Academy, they would be destined for failure. 400 is the score if you just sign your name, not sure if you meant a combined of 800-1000 which is still low but makes sense for some of the FB players.  I would think a US Senator would have to nominate multiple kids if not each class in theory would only be 100 cadets.  Either way congrats to you dad, and thank your son for his service.  

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  90
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry, yes the score was for each section of the test. Each US Representative also gets the same nominations as the Senators do which gets the number to 535. There are also some other sources for nominations. We were very worried about getting a nomination and it turned out to be less stressful than other portions of the process.

• Upvote 1