• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Team looks lost

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

6 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

I think your bitterness with the loss and your dashed hopes for a rapid turnaround have you in the dumps, and I don't blame you one bit. My heart feels trampled on every time USF loses. But I honestly believe I saw steps in the right direction in many small ways. The type of steps we have been lacking in for years. Despite the bad loss, there was greatly improved discipline. There was grit and mettle despite overwhelming odds. There were signals for the right kind of character, instead of the opposite we have had through 2 sets of coaching staffs. It was there to see, if you were looking for it, but I don't blame you for feeling terribly after that loss as a USF fan.

Props to you for trying to see positives.

I had very low expectations for this season... despite that I’m still shocked at how small our team looked/played. I’d still grade the coaches pretty poorly today. Didn’t do enough to account for the mismatches.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

11 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

I think your bitterness with the loss and your dashed hopes for a rapid turnaround have you in the dumps, and I don't blame you one bit. My heart feels trampled on every time USF loses. But I honestly believe I saw steps in the right direction in many small ways. The type of steps we have been lacking in for years. Despite the bad loss, there was greatly improved discipline. There was grit and mettle despite overwhelming odds. There were signals for the right kind of character, instead of the opposite we have had through 2 sets of coaching staffs. It was there to see, if you were looking for it, but I don't blame you for feeling terribly after that loss as a USF fan.

Agreed, this is similar to CBG and basketball. We may not like it but we are in year 0 right now. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

2 minutes ago, cmhatter said:

I had very low expectations for this season... despite that I’m still shocked at how small our team looked/played. I’d still grade the coaches pretty poorly today. Didn’t do enough to account for the mismatches.

My wife even commented on size of our D the little that we watched.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

23 minutes ago, cmhatter said:

Yes, we looked very undersized in comparison to ND. We have looked quite undersized since the Leavitt era, but it got far worse under CCS. There is definitely no way around the fact that we need bigger linemen in the future. We can't do anything about that outside of recruiting, except coach the players we have up as best we can. We have always had difficulty recruiting big linemen to USF, and I don't have any false hopes that we will weigh the same as Wisconsin's lines in the near future. But JPP and George Selvie and Austin Reiter weren't/aren't playing in the NFL because they are giant walls of flesh. My only hope there has been we get a coach willing to stay for a while, coach the best players we can get to be the best they can, and stay through some sustained success so recruiting will build over time. The jury is out on that for a few years, of course. That would be a truly beautiful development, but like I said, that's a pipe dream for us, always.

Edited by FazaUSF
Grammar
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,847
  • Days Won:  67

18 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

My wife even commented on size of our D the little that we watched.

That is what she said

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Luckily we aren't in the Big 10 and we don't need to build a monster DL and OL which is sort of how ND is built.

I think we could be ok with our OL and DL once we are in conference play but we gotta no doubt have to find some sort of passing game to make teams respect the pass so we can run the ball.

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

The adjustment was them putting in their scout team and still we managed to lose against the second half spread.  Losing was expected but we managed crawl under the bar no matter how low it was set.

I disagree - it looked like they scripted the first few plays of the third quarter, giving McCloud some easy throws (which he made).

To me, that is progress, since Charlie would typically go into the locker room looking bad and come back out playing even worse

ND’s starters were on the field into the third qtr (though interspersed with subs)

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

9 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

I disagree - it looked like they scripted the first few plays of the third quarter, giving McCloud some easy throws (which he made).

To me, that is progress, since Charlie would typically go into the locker room looking bad and come back out playing even worse

ND’s starters were on the field into the third qtr (though interspersed with subs)

ND never let up. They were blitzing with 4 min left. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

52 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

Yes, we looked very undersized in comparison to ND. We have looked quite undersized since the Leavitt era, but it got far worse under CCS. There is definitely no way around the fact that we need bigger linemen in the future. We can't do anything about that outside of recruiting, except coach the players we have up as best we can. We have always had difficulty recruiting big linemen to USF, and I don't have any false hopes that we will weigh the same as Wisconsin's lines in the near future. But JPP and George Selvie and Austin Reiter weren't/aren't playing in the NFL because they are giant walls of flesh. My only hope there has been we get a coach willing to stay for a while, coach the best players we can get to be the best they can, and stay through some sustained success so recruiting will build over time. The jury is out on that for a few years, of course. That would be a truly beautiful development, but like I said, that's a pipe dream for us, always.

We got ran over even in the Leavitt era. Selves was barely 240 in college. Jpp was probably first NFL sized def end we had.