• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Team looks lost

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,345
  • Days Won:  8

12 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Exactly how strong of a microscope do you have to have to see that improvement? Think of all the bad teams we have had, now think of all the good teams we have played, this performance managed to be worse than any we have had ever with any coach with any team against any competition, that's not typically seen as improvement. 

I agree with Faza

Yes - we lost 52-0 and it was painful 

CJS made some adjustments at halftime, settled everyone down a little and the team began to move the ball in the 2nd half

If this had been last season, this would have been a 70+ point loss

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,241
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, bowman1 said:

I agree with Faza

Yes - we lost 52-0 and it was painful 

CJS made some adjustments at halftime, settled everyone down a little and the team began to move the ball in the 2nd half

If this had been last season, this would have been a 70+ point loss

The adjustment was them putting in their scout team and still we managed to lose against the second half spread.  Losing was expected but we managed crawl under the bar no matter how low it was set.

7 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

Wow. How quickly you forget Wisconsin last year. And McNeese St. At Pitt, in the rain, at the end of the Big East era. Taggart's first two years were nothing but dreadful. As was CCS' final year and a half. Believe me I could go on; I have bled as much as any USF fan with our teams.

It doesn't take a microscope. Players sticking to assignments, when they used to fail at that constantly. Players actually tackling, even if ND players were generally much larger and more difficult to tackle than our average opponents, we weren't arm tackling, we weren't giving up before trying. That was a major issue the entire time with both Taggart and Strong. Our OL and DL were far undersized compared with ND but they stayed with it, hard, til the end; they were just outmatched by bigger, heavier guys. The holes the OL opened up against Citadel was refreshing compared with the entire back half of the CCS era. The players overtly showed supporting each other despite adversity. Under CCS adversity made us crumble, immediately. Jist watch player and coaching staff interactions; CCS lost his locker room in year 2. CJS and co have this locker room solidly behind them. We tried running a fake punt, which was refreshing. Yes, it didn't go as planned. But we tried, and that's something which to me shows ambition, intention for growth, and a willingness to take chances even with a younger, less well-trained personnell with lots of need for coaching for improvement. There were jitters and boneheaded plays, like with our long snapper today, no doubt. I'm not saying everything has magically turned around. But with a solid culture installed, the chemistry will build, the recruitment will come, and later the wins will come. This is the first coach since CJL who has even TRIED to install a culture FIRST. It is real leadership, gentleman. That is what leads to wins. Swallow the tough year we will have this year, which we were always going to have no matter who coached. Things will improve, because now we have real leadership.

If you are staying in position and making tackles the only way you get rolled by 52 is if the coaching staff has you completely in the wrong position, there is no way you honestly saw what you saw what you are pretending you saw, I think you got some of that green and gold glitter in your eyes.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,672

We have improved in the discipline department. We have way fewer penalties. There looks like less tension between the players too.

Edited by Gismo

3 minutes ago, Gismo said:

We have improved in the discipline department. We have way fewer penalties. There looks like less tension between the players too.

It’s hard to get a penalty when you aren’t near the other team

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

15 minutes ago, puc86 said:

If you are staying in position and making tackles the only way you get rolled by 52 is if the coaching staff has you completely in the wrong position, there is no way you honestly saw what you saw what you are pretending you saw, I think you got some of that green and gold glitter in your eyes.

I think your bitterness with the loss and your dashed hopes for a rapid turnaround have you in the dumps, and I don't blame you one bit. My heart feels trampled on every time USF loses. But I honestly believe I saw steps in the right direction in many small ways. The type of steps we have been lacking in for years. Despite the bad loss, there was greatly improved discipline. There was grit and mettle despite overwhelming odds. There were signals for the right kind of character, instead of the opposite we have had through 2 sets of coaching staffs. It was there to see, if you were looking for it, but I don't blame you for feeling terribly after that loss as a USF fan.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  11,947
  • Days Won:  25

32 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

Wow. How quickly you forget Wisconsin last year. And McNeese St. At Pitt, in the rain, at the end of the Big East era. Taggart's first two years were nothing but dreadful. As was CCS' final year and a half. Believe me I could go on; I have bled as much as any USF fan with our teams.

It doesn't take a microscope. Players sticking to assignments, when they used to fail at that constantly. Players actually tackling, even if ND players were generally much larger and more difficult to tackle than our average opponents, we weren't arm tackling, we weren't giving up before trying. That was a major issue the entire time with both Taggart and Strong. Our OL and DL were far undersized compared with ND but they stayed with it, hard, til the end; they were just outmatched by bigger, heavier guys. The holes the OL opened up against Citadel was refreshing compared with the entire back half of the CCS era. The players overtly showed supporting each other despite adversity. Under CCS adversity made us crumble, immediately. Just watch player and coaching staff interactions; CCS lost his locker room in year 2. CJS and co have this locker room solidly behind them. We tried running a fake punt, which was refreshing. Yes, it didn't go as planned. But we tried, and that's something which to me shows ambition, intention for growth, and a willingness to take chances even with a younger, less well-trained personnell with lots of need for coaching for improvement. There were jitters and boneheaded plays, like with our long snapper today, no doubt. I'm not saying everything has magically turned around. But with a solid culture installed, the chemistry will build, the recruitment will come, and later the wins will come. This is the first coach since CJL who has even TRIED to install a culture FIRST. It is real leadership, gentlemen. That is what leads to wins. Swallow the tough year we will have this year, which we were always going to have no matter who coached. Things will improve, because now we have real leadership.

I like where you head is at FAZA. WE are laying the bricks now, hopefully the foundations comes later.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

19 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Wrong. If you are weak and outweighed at every position and get run over and pushed back on almost every play it is a size and physical development issue. 

When a tailback blows up your linebacker like he is a cornerback how is it a coaching issue?  

How many times did we have 3rd and relatively short and most teams could run a 215lb or 225lb back and our biggest back is 175 lbs. 

I am not saying we would have won, but there is improvement. 

1 minute ago, FazaUSF said:

I think your bitterness with the loss and your dashed hopes for a rapid turnaround have you in the dumps, and I don't blame you one bit. My heart feels trampled on every time USF loses. But I honestly believe I saw steps in the right direction in many small ways. The type of steps we have been lacking in for years. Despite the bad loss, there was greatly improved discipline. There was grit and mettle despite overwhelming odds. There were signals for the right kind of character, instead of the opposite we have had through 2 sets of coaching staffs. It was there to see, if you were looking for it, but I don't blame you for feeling terribly after that loss as a USF fan.

I appreciate your fandom and I really hope your more right than I am. From what we have seen thus far I think anyone’s hopes for improvement is based more so on hope and faith than anything actually seen. It does not mean that in the long run CJS will not end up being the best coach we have seen but outside of sound clips we have seen nothing to demonstrate this is more likely than getting CSHed or CCSed again.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

Wrong. If you are weak and outweighed at every position and get run over and pushed back on almost every play it is a size and physical development issue. 

When a tailback blows up your linebacker like he is a cornerback how is it a coaching issue?  

How many times did we have 3rd and relatively short and most teams could run a 215lb or 225lb back and our biggest back is 175 lbs. 

I am not saying we would have won, but there is improvement. 

So they weren’t making tackles?