• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It seems like McCloud will get the keys

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

That.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,649
  • Days Won:  29

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

McCloud and fortin both have 3 years left if you count this year. I think the coach gave him the nod as the returning starter and wants to see them all in game situations before making his commitment to a player. If he plays all 3 QBs it gives Fau and nd less film to study his guy before the guy called to big stage versus ND.

Agree.

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, Buller64 said:

Everyone seems to think that McCloud will be a disaster, but how many remember that he played injured last year? He even played one game with with his wrist wrapped in a bandage. He also played through a shoulder injury on his throwing arm because we had no other quarterbacks. In addition, the offensive line last year closely resembled a sieve A healthy McCloud with decent blocking might be a lot better than you give him credit for. Last year McCloud was playing under difficult conditions, this year could be very different. 

This!  Not to mention the coaching he received last was pretty much disastrous.

With a year of strengthening and maturity and presumably much better coaches tutoring him, he could be much much better than we expect.

I do agree though that its concerning that none of the 3 have totally stood out and run away with it.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

8 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

This!  Not to mention the coaching he received last was pretty much disastrous.

With a year of strengthening and maturity and presumably much better coaches tutoring him, he could be much much better than we expect.

I do agree though that its concerning that none of the 3 have totally stood out and run away with it.

There is a reason why they transferred Jonesy. I think the right guy got the nod but I like that all three will see action leading to the first Conf game. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Not surprised by this at all. McCloud looked good in spurts last season and His experience and respect in the locker room gives him a leg up on the other guys. People act like he wasn't thrust into action way too early when he came in ideally a kid you develop 2-3 years before you put him on the field. He's only been playing QB a few years too so he was and still is raw. He realistically still has lots of growing into the position and had decent physical tools. I don't think he has a strangle hold on the job by any means but it's his job to lose now. If last season taught us anything about McCloud it's that if he goes down he'll go down fighting. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

3 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Not surprised by this at all. McCloud looked good in spurts last season and His experience and respect in the locker room gives him a leg up on the other guys. People act like he wasn't thrust into action way too early when he came in ideally a kid you develop 2-3 years before you put him on the field. He's only been playing QB a few years too so he was and still is raw. He realistically still has lots of growing into the position and had decent physical tools. I don't think he has a strangle hold on the job by any means but it's his job to lose now. If last season taught us anything about McCloud it's that if he goes down he'll go down fighting. 

As usual, a voice of reason amongst all the hand wringing ...........

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,511
  • Days Won:  25

8 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

He fought hard last year, but looked abysmal besides a game against an inferior opponent,  To be fair though the whole offensive was hot trash and his offensive line did him zero favors. I wish all of three of the QBS the best and may the best guy lead us to a surprise this year.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,352
  • Days Won:  5

38 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Did he get an arm transplant? I've seen punts with less hang time that most of his passes.

He was hurt early and often. Maybe a different cat altogether.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  472
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry no way he's our starter this year or we are screwed . IMO its coach doing the right thing, Knowing he is not the answer but giving him his best chance.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I have no problem showing respect to the returning starter. 

I am curious to see what McCloud can do with some proper tutelage. First of all, I never trust a true freshman to do anything so I give him a pass for last year. 

We will know soon enough once we see all 3 with some live reps under their belt.