• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Unpopular Opinion - Don't Fire Strong, Build the IPF - NOW

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

23 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Maybe you should consider letting CJL into your heart 

sick vomit GIF by CBS

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

sick vomit GIF by CBS

I’m going to put you in the maybe column and schedule a follow up.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

I’m going to put you in the maybe column and schedule a follow up.

Like I always said if they hired him I would be 100% behind him in support (as I am with any coach). But if he failed I would make it rain with “I told you so”.....

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

6 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Like I always said if they hired him I would be 100% behind him in support (as I am with any coach). But if he failed I would make it rain with “I told you so”.....

That is the thing. If CJL does get rehired and he fails then his legacy at USF is tarnished even worse than it is now. Im sure he is smart enough to not go through this challenge again 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Gotta wonder whether there is a creative solution here. Strong's buyout is not high. Shop him around to other programs hiring. Agree to let him out of his buyout, or agree to pay it for the school taking him. He saves face not getting fired. We save $$. I imagine some poor school would want to pick him up if/when we fire him - that usually happens. Tell him its that solution or the axe. Of course, he gets more of a payday with the axe, but maybe he would meet in the middle, who knows. This coming from someone who has no idea how these contracts are written or this process plays out behind the scenes, just wishing for some creative solution to get rid of Strong while saving USF a bit of dough. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,254
  • Days Won:  1

I just don’t see any schools that are craving to get strong after his failure at Texas and here at least as a hc. Now as a coordinator that could be a different story

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

On 11/30/2019 at 5:44 PM, Sierra048 said:

Respectfully, lightening didn't stop Taggart's team from going 11-2 in 2016. It didn't even stop Chuckle's team from going 10-2 in 2017. Neither had an IPF at the time. Not saying an IPF won't be a nice thing to have, and I'm not discounting the danger lightening can pose, but I just can't wrap my head around an IPF being the only way we're going to come our of this mess. I'm not an impatient person and I have been a fan since the first game against Kentucky Wesleyan but if they don't get this mess sorted out soon, I can see myself finding other ways to spend what little time I have left on this earth.

Taggart was a recruiter, and quite frankly overachieved and hit some home runs but not sustained. I'm not saying that you can't get to winning with the right coach. I am saying that an IPF is a known improvement vs an unknown coach who may or may not be another holtz, could be a taggart, who knows. If we weren't in such a ****** contract with strong it wouldn't be an issue. My point is given our financial situation that investing an IPF would have better return than trying a new coach. Keep in mind our defense did seem to be much improved this year, and I am willing to give KB a 2nd year to see if he can get the right guys to run the offense. Our receivers have been poor this year, not sure if that is all coaching or what but KB has shown results at at ever stop and i recall him also having speed bumps year 1. 

On 11/30/2019 at 11:11 PM, OncomingStorm said:

An IPF announcement isn’t going to pump life back into the program. In a couple years when it’s built, sure it will help. But if you’re banking on just an announcement to turn things around, you are delusional.

Who would want to come here right now, seeing how Charlie has imploded the program, and knowing that he would be a lame duck?

What recruiting leverage does Charlie have at this moment?

I want them to start building, If i recall first phase would be 2 years out? If they start this year, and fire strong NEXT season if results don't improve, new coach gets shiny new toys to recruit with. If strong does get it together, then we are in great shape. In my mind I don't see how USF can fire strong AND progress on the IPF. 

Exactly,  who are we going to get to come here right now with signing period right around the corner?

What recruiting leverage does the next coach have? more freshmen "his guys" that are going to start?

4 hours ago, Joe said:

It’s about attracting talent. Just pointing to the G5 level, you can have a great coach and struggle to attract talent when you don’t have the guns to do it. what is USF’s selling points? Location. A NFL stadium. 

Compare that to Location. Indoor practice facility. Football only weight room. On Campus environment. 

Exactly.

3 hours ago, DJBulls said:

Start building the IPF and fire Strong...both of these things can and should happen...time to cut the bs out...

Can? I'm not seeing this money tree, but if can really is can, sure go for it, but I'm not sold on their being a possible savior available in our price range.

Should? I can see arguments both ways, if KB really is the up and coming HC, better financially to see how he progresses next season then make the long term choice.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,367
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, FazaUSF said:

Gotta wonder whether there is a creative solution here. Strong's buyout is not high. Shop him around to other programs hiring. Agree to let him out of his buyout, or agree to pay it for the school taking him. He saves face not getting fired. We save $$. I imagine some poor school would want to pick him up if/when we fire him - that usually happens. Tell him its that solution or the axe. Of course, he gets more of a payday with the axe, but maybe he would meet in the middle, who knows. This coming from someone who has no idea how these contracts are written or this process plays out behind the scenes, just wishing for some creative solution to get rid of Strong while saving USF a bit of dough. 

I don't any decent program or school  will want him. 

Edited by TheGreatOutlaw

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

23 minutes ago, SpeedyBull said:

Taggart was a recruiter, and quite frankly overachieved and hit some home runs but not sustained. I'm not saying that you can't get to winning with the right coach. I am saying that an IPF is a known improvement vs an unknown coach who may or may not be another holtz, could be a taggart, who knows. If we weren't in such a ****** contract with strong it wouldn't be an issue. My point is given our financial situation that investing an IPF would have better return than trying a new coach. Keep in mind our defense did seem to be much improved this year, and I am willing to give KB a 2nd year to see if he can get the right guys to run the offense. Our receivers have been poor this year, not sure if that is all coaching or what but KB has shown results at at ever stop and i recall him also having speed bumps year 1. 

I want them to start building, If i recall first phase would be 2 years out? If they start this year, and fire strong NEXT season if results don't improve, new coach gets shiny new toys to recruit with. If strong does get it together, then we are in great shape. In my mind I don't see how USF can fire strong AND progress on the IPF. 

Exactly,  who are we going to get to come here right now with signing period right around the corner?

What recruiting leverage does the next coach have? more freshmen "his guys" that are going to start?

Exactly.

Can? I'm not seeing this money tree, but if can really is can, sure go for it, but I'm not sold on their being a possible savior available in our price range.

Should? I can see arguments both ways, if KB really is the up and coming HC, better financially to see how he progresses next season then make the long term choice.

I agree that I would not mind seeing KB get his fair shot. The players have been saying great things about him and that is very telling with the way the season went. Give him year 2

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, Bull Daly said:

I agree that I would not mind seeing KB get his fair shot. The players have been saying great things about him and that is very telling with the way the season went. Give him year 2

Very important point, I don't think I have heard anywhere near the negativity from the locker room as we did last year. The players that are here have seem to have bought in.