• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

Hah, 3 of us tailgated until halftime, then just went home. I left with 9 unused tickets in my pocket... 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Coaching is one thing (it's bad), but the bigger issue is the lack of commitment to the program. It's just comical at this point. We lack an indoor practice facility. We lack a football facility, one that has had a targeted groundbreaking changed a couple times. Our players are sharing weight rooms with other student athletes. We lack so much of what other schools can offer.

While that might seem like a silly thing to be concerned about, it's what other schools can provide. We're competing with UCF, Mississippi State, NC State, Arkansas, FAU, etc for the same pool of Florida recruits and we lack so many selling points. This in turn leads to the talent level being average.

This school lacks a commitment to football, and has for some time. It's so much more than firing and hiring a coach. It's so much more than pointing at Raymond James and telling recruits the Bucs play there. It's an department wide commitment, and we've lacked it for a long long time. It's not getting better until they get together and make a commitment to changing that.

Agree completely.  I'm pretty sure Strong mentioned an OCS in his first press conference after being hired.  Not saying we need an OCS, just that even he was concerned with our facilities and knew they needed to be improved.  Hiring a new coach will only take us so far without improving everything else.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

12 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Agree completely.  I'm pretty sure Strong mentioned an OCS in his first press conference after being hired.  Not saying we need an OCS, just that even he was concerned with our facilities and knew they needed to be improved.  Hiring a new coach will only take us so far without improving everything else.

That is very true... the unique issue we face, at least for now, is that this will be a stepping stone job. So, while it's hard to find a home run hire, it's even harder to do it time and time again. Frost was a homerun for UCF. I don't know if Huepel is really the same caliber... he was a decent fit because he didn't come in to change everything they were doing well. Unfortunately, with all of our coaching changes, the next guy has decided to "fix" everything... Nothing needed "fixing" when Leavitt was fired. The school and Skippy decided that the program needed to be "cleaned up", so, big changes took us way down hill.

Nothing needed to be "fixed" when taggart left. While I liked Strong initially, the goal should have been a high powered offense minded coach. Sure, our defense needed work, but, a complete 180 was never going to be successful, especially having Q for that first year. When a coach is successful enough to leave, we need to build on what they were doing and hire accordingly.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

In a thread earlier this week I got into a discussion with John Lewis about whether some of our group would be back next year.  Well, those 4 were gone just slightly into the 3rd quarter.  So I'm guessing we'll be down to 4 tickets from 8 next year and just rotate people to the games. They pay us for the tickets but we make the donation.  We'll give that $1,600 we save to MBB.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

That is very true... the unique issue we face, at least for now, is that this will be a stepping stone job. So, while it's hard to find a home run hire, it's even harder to do it time and time again. Frost was a homerun for UCF. I don't know if Huepel is really the same caliber... he was a decent fit because he didn't come in to change everything they were doing well. Unfortunately, with all of our coaching changes, the next guy has decided to "fix" everything... Nothing needed "fixing" when Leavitt was fired. The school and Skippy decided that the program needed to be "cleaned up", so, big changes took us way down hill.

Nothing needed to be "fixed" when taggart left. While I liked Strong initially, the goal should have been a high powered offense minded coach. Sure, our defense needed work, but, a complete 180 was never going to be successful, especially having Q for that first year. When a coach is successful enough to leave, we need to build on what they were doing and hire accordingly.

I still haven't figured out why a new coach wouldn't evaluate talent, watch game film of the previous year and craft his offense to the strengths of the current players.  If you have a successful system, recruit players that fit the system and gradually work into it.  

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, bullstampede9922 said:

I still haven't figured out why a new coach wouldn't evaluate talent, watch game film of the previous year and craft his offense to the strengths of the current players.  If you have a successful system, recruit players that fit the system and gradually work into it.  

Seems to have worked in oviedo... 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

Just now, bullstampede9922 said:

I still haven't figured out why a new coach wouldn't evaluate talent, watch game film of the previous year and craft his offense to the strengths of the current players. 

I think most head coaches have huge egos and think their way is the "best". 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

9 hours ago, hm101 said:

Don't blame you. And while I felt bad this season giving more to academics than athletics, I feel completely vindicated right now. I am ready to support when I feel like the university is ready to chart a path towards success.

Never feel bad about giving more to academics. That is why USF exists.

Thank you for giving to academics.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

8 hours ago, Rex Havoc said:

This feeling sucks doesn’t it? My wife and I were talking on the way home. I was mentioning how I haven’t missed a home game in over 15 years, but have gotten to the point it’s not fun anymore. I’m a teacher and she’s a social worker...so we don’t have a lot of money to spend on entertainment. We used to get a lot of enjoyment out of going to USF football games. Now we are thinking a vacation would be a better use of our money until USF decides to get serious about football. 

WOW! Other than the careers this is almost verbatim the conversation we had last night.

I could spend less money and play golf every day of the year here at home. BUT, we will continue with our seats and the driving and for the foreseeable future being pissed off and embarrassed by the product on the field.

At this point I would say just wait till next year... again. But I don't even think that's going to make a difference.  

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

7 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Good coaches tailor their system to the strengths and weaknesses of their players.

Bad coaches/egotistical coaches/stubborn coaches try to force their players into the one system they know regardless of player ability.