• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart fired

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,548
  • Days Won:  28

2 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

I don't think that is a sound take.  It's not apples to apples.  FSU> UCLA+NEB

Still...all 3 are P5 schools. 2 of the 3 have won mad national titles. UCLA has had success. Both of their coaches have worse or the same record as Taggart. Yet no hot seat talk for either. I guess a year and a half is the new bench mark. 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

24 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Still...all 3 are P5 schools. 2 of the 3 have won mad national titles. UCLA has had success. Both of their coaches have worse or the same record as Taggart. Yet no hot seat talk for either. I guess a year and a half is the new bench mark. 

Taggart didn't get a fair shake at FSU. A year and a half is really quick, but if it's true that they were regularly playing to a half-empty stadium, there has to be pressure on the AD to move. Really spoiled fan base I guess. Wouldn't mind seeing them go 0-12 next year.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, MMW said:

But there is something to be said for actually winning things.  

So he has never coached a team that won a championship at any level nor coached a team that has won a bowl game (his teams lost those bowl games). 

CJL never won a championship but he won MANY big games against teams we seemed outgunned against and bowl games (4 total if you count the Clemson bowl). 

CJL did good things. So did Taggart. Glad they both came through here. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,253
  • Days Won:  255

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

I'm not giving him credit here for winning a bowl, just getting teams to them. Puc's stuck on this decade long dearth of a winning record and not looking at anything else ...... myopic at best. He was hired by 3 programs (FSU out of this equation) that needed rebuilding. He was at those schools for 8 years. His rebuilt teams went to bowls 4 out of those 8 years. That's a pretty good record in a rebuilding process involving 3 teams, even if it doesn't show up in the overall wins/losses column ..... that's all that I'm saying.

I mean if you are going to pick something to be myopic about having a winning record seems like a fairly good one for a head coach. Just being .500 as a head coach isn’t particularly great so it’s not like it’s setting the bar extremely high. Not really sure anyone can consider coaching Oregon to a 7-5 record for one season a rebuild and I think a fairly good argument can be made that he came in at the lowest cycles of USF and Western Kentucky and then simply followed their up-cycles to  a more normalized position that he then left immediately.

Lets say I go into a company that isn’t making any profit and I then cut the majority of the staff and start dumping the inventory thru large lot sales that the smaller crew can handle. As they continue to make their way thru the inventory I sell of the unused non inventory assets and let more people go. As the cycle continues I make a large profit and fixed the only problem it was facing but did I rebuild the company or simply liquidate and sell of the entirety of the assets? For most people on here just getting it back to a point once and then running off should mean it’s fixed and should be sustained but everyone ought to know that I actually didn’t rebuild anything.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Even I will admit he didn't have enough time at FSU.

But his schtick doesn't play well and grates when the team isn't winning.

Still I have no sorrow for someone getting that kind of money for getting fired.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

30 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Even I will admit he didn't have enough time at FSU.

But his schtick doesn't play well and grates when the team isn't winning.

Still I have no sorrow for someone getting that kind of money for getting fired.

Everyone's schtick is grating when the team isn't winning. As a Cubs fan, Joe Maddon's antics were magic when they won the WS, but bringing a bunch of zoo animals into the locker room before a game is only fun when you win the game.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JTrue said:

Everyone's schtick is grating when the team isn't winning. As a Cubs fan, Joe Maddon's antics were magic when they won the WS, but bringing a bunch of zoo animals into the locker room before a game is only fun when you win the game.

QFT. Everything you do and say is stupid when you are losing and everything you do and say is genius and charming when you are winning. Following many losses the only thing you can say that will make fans happy is you are stepping down and returning all the money you have earned, which would seem absurdly unfair in many instances but people would be more sympathetic to it  if anyone ever pointed out that they maybe being unfairly credited with successes.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

5 minutes ago, JTrue said:

No.

Zoo animals are always fun!!

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

No.

Zoo animals are always fun!!

Especially when monkeys throw their poop at people. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

Especially when monkeys throw poop at people. 

Not if you are the one getting hit with the poop