• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Penalties

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

9 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

There have been multiple articles written about the lack of funding in Florida athletic departments.  I remember our favorite Sterling Gilbert comparing the Texas and Florida kids and how the Texas kids had been running the same offense schemes for years and Florida kids were raw with little technique and development,   The money spent on coaches in Florida pales in comparison to other states and you get what you pay for.  This is the most logical reason I can see for the penalty issues that historically plague all of the Florida schools.  However you made a nice point as well.

Maybe they are just mean kids that like to do mean things....

83B94CE1-AE31-4381-87A6-B9E8C300CF87.png

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, LeftCoastBull said:

127/130 in penalty yards per game,

And 128 and 129 out of 130 are a combined 13-2 .....this is one of those things that may or may not have much of an impact over a season, kind of like ft % in basketball, but it's low hanging fruit when looking for something after a nice win, with 2 weeks to kill.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Friscobull said:

Part of It is practice and preparation which falls on the coaches.  However it runs deeper, Florida has the best athletes however they don’t get developed in high school due to the lack of funds for the sports departments and this puts them at a competitive disadvantage in college.  The high schools don’t have the facilities(I sound like CCS) and they don’t pay the coaches.  In comparison there are 3 high school stadiums near me that all cost between 70 and 80 million dollars and the head coaches make 6 digits.  270 coaches in Texas make over 100k.  They all have IPF’s as well, they are much better prepared, better equipment, better techniques and more disciplined players making less mistakes on average than the Florida kids.

I had to look this up....wasn't sure if you were being serious, or taking a poke at our own lack of facilities, and sure enough...came across this article which actually mentions your hometown of Frisco...

https://footballscoop.com/news/60-texas-high-schools-dallas-fort-worth-area-indoor-practice-facilities/

I had never thought about what kind of money a High School coach might make, but over 100K/yr being somewhat common (at least in Texas) is not what I would have guessed. That's some serious dough for that level of coaching.

Edited by USFBulls727

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

100k/yr for a high school football coach? That seems excessive.  But the millions paid for college coaches seems excessive also. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,846
  • Days Won:  67

10 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

I had never thought about what kind of money a High School coach might make, but over 100K/yr being somewhat common (at least in Texas) is not what I would have guessed. That's some serious dough for that level of coaching.

It is but athletics are part of the curriculum and take up the first 2 class periods every day, the job is full time and when factoring in the expectations and dealing with boosters and fund raising it is even more demanding.  At the end of the day you develop a player with a better football acumen, more polished techniques and a less mistake prone player. A few of the high school stadiums in the area cost tens of millions of dollars more than the bounce house did, as they say money talks and BS walks.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

17 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

It is but athletics are part of the curriculum and take up the first 2 class periods every day, the job is full time and when factoring in the expectations and dealing with boosters and fund raising it is even more demanding.  At the end of the day you develop a player with a better football acumen, more polished techniques and a less mistake prone player. A few of the high school stadiums in the area cost tens of millions of dollars more than the bounce house did, as they say money talks and BS walks.

Texas ranks #93 in the country in penalties against

Texas Tech #74

North Texas #78

Texas A & M #64

SMU #105

UTSA #118

Must be why University of Texas has all those national championships....oh wait I meant to say that's why Alabama and Clemson's rosters have more players from Texas than Florida.....oops never mind.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,846
  • Days Won:  67

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

Texas ranks #93 in the country in penalties against

Texas Tech #74

North Texas #78

Texas A & M #64

SMU #105

UTSA #118

Must be why University of Texas has all those national championships....oh wait I meant to say that's why Alabama and Clemson's rosters have more players from Texas than Florida.....oops never mind.

If you read the entire thread, I stated that Florida has better athletes. It looks like the Texas schools are penalized less which was the point of this topic and I offered up a reason for the disparity. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

We had an indoor practice facility at my high school in Tampa.  It was also known as "the gym"

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

59 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

We had an indoor practice facility at my high school in Tampa.  It was also known as "the gym"

They're scanning my high school practice facility for graves... 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

If you read the entire thread, I stated that Florida has better athletes. It looks like the Texas schools are penalized less which was the point of this topic and I offered up a reason for the disparity. 

so because Texas has $80M high school stadiums and indoor practice facilities means they will be penalized less? talk about a reach.

Texas is the #93 most penalized team in the country. considering they are probably a majority of texas high school players wouldn't that mean they would be close to the least penalized in the country?

Edited by Bull94