• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Daily Stampede - Need Money Article

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,883
  • Days Won:  33

1 hour ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

Fans will support a winning team, bigger conference could possibly take interest , and  bigger bowl wins have larger pay outs.

We were winning in 2015, 2016, 2017, and the first half of last season.

Support didn't dramatically increase, especially in 2016 and 2017 when we won 10+ games in each season. Bigger conferences take notice of that.

Haven't read Collin's article, but it's no secret that we need to raise more money for capital projects (Football Center) and for scholarships. We had a record number of dollars raised in the last fiscal year and our highest number of donors, but we are still behind many teams in our own conference and that is something that needs to change.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,331
  • Days Won:  10

John, why do you think that is?  Could it be conference affiliation?  How was it during the BE days?

edit:  guess I could look the BE data up myself...😁

Edited by Grateful Dad

• Content Count:  21,009
  • Days Won:  38

Also, I'll do my part down the road, but I don't have that kind of money yet.  Right now what I can do is make several trips a year.  It's not my fault that we were managed by idiots.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Too many donors that could have helped were asked to spend for other departments. Improving a top-flight medical school or a College of Business are, ya know, why universities should and do exist. So I don’t begrudge the priorities. 

Coming from the COB MBA program, I know they were hurting for money back when I graduated (a few years pre-Muma).  This is definitely more important for the university than paying off Charlie Strong's USF Illuminati contract.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

How much money would the daily stampede need to raise in order for them not to suck?

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,883
  • Days Won:  33

7 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

John, why do you think that is?  Could it be conference affiliation?  How was it during the BE days?

edit:  guess I could look the BE data up myself...😁

I think that has a good deal to do with it.

Now that my role has changed some within the department, I do not speak with as many people who no longer have season tickets, but I still talk to some who continue to give to the Bulls Club and the conference affiliation comes up at least 90% of the time.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

Breaking News:

100% of all departments at all universities need more money.  

That maybe true, but according to this article anyway, our Athletic Department seems worse off than many others...

USF has underinvested in the history of the program. It would make sense that the Bulls are behind UConn with their history and tradition in terms of athletics budget. But being more than $10 million behind Temple in operating income is inexcusable (they’re north of $60 million, we’re around $50 million). Cinci and SMU are in the pricier neighborhood too, and their facilities are all in better shape than ours and they all have indoor practice facilities already.

As our friends at PAPN have repeatedly pointed out on a national broadcast, we’ve got a football team splitting a weight room with a volleyball team and a soccer team, and that just isn’t done in 2019 at any schools at our level.

Just now, John Lewis said:

I believe it does.  I think the community was realizing that USF plays big time football in their back yard.  Now, it's not the case.  Doesn't mean we shouldn't support, but just saying objectively this is not the case.  I think people are showing out in spite of the team not being competitive right now, so maybe there is more support there then I think.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

They should really consider moving the entire athletics department to the state of New Hampshire...but that’s just my opinion...

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

8 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

Now that my role has changed some within the department, I do not speak with as many people who no longer have season tickets, but I still talk to some who continue to give to the Bulls Club and the conference affiliation comes up at least 90% of the time.

John, I don't know you but I respect you stemming from the few times I was ever in touch with you. And your a good info source being at the school.

Besides the heavy hitters who can toss big bucks at the university there is a very narrow group who can donate to all things USF. The new grads starting out are just trying to make it and prob take care of their student loan so they prob don't have an excess of disposable income. The older grads are prob now on fixed incomes and depending how beat-up they got in the market or life in general ?..? Their extra income is prob limited.

So you have the peak earning group..30-60. These are the ones who prob donate the most ( or should) and are the most geographically mobile. We are hit up $ by the University, Alumni Ass. IPF, Bulls Club, etc and all that is before ever trying to get to a game. Personally(example) a home game in Tampa costs us around $800-$1000 not living in the area, I'm sure I'm not alone. My point is this: USF has a rather small segment of fans to derive the most $ from. USF is pumping out grads right and left but how many actually will ever donate. I have & had 2 doctors and a vet( young'uns ) all USF grads. None had any interest in supporting USF. Multiply this by how many..? 

This Summer TBP had a fundraising drive trying to get to $10k. Didn't get there. Think Brad got around $6,000 to give to MK for IPF but as yet I have never heard anything about it from Athletics?? ( maybe I missed it) I would think receiving $6000.00 from a USF group of fans might be ( appreciated) and.. a great marketing ploy to challenge all the USF affiliated clubs, etc. "Six grand is better than a poke in the eye with a stick.".( that's an old saying young'uns). Seems the $20mil number has been mentioned for some time now.

Lastly, we have had our difficulties over the years dealing with tickets, alumni functions, campus book store, etc. After which, I have come away wondering is it just me or are others having problems too. Sometimes I wondered what a small time production it was for such a big school. If its common place it would only serve to dampen peoples enthusiasm for USF.

John, this certainly not directed at you just to you ( and not a rant) but this article hit on some points that provoke thought. And,  **** didn't mean to go on so much but, sometimes you think something is amiss over the years in USF athletics( especially football) Hype is not in short supply but.....continued success seems to elude us...? 

When you hear..send more, send more $$ maybe a lot of folks are "just mored out"     As always, Go Bull's !