• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Daily Stampede - Need Money Article

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343
  • Days Won:  0

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Man that article really paints an interesting picture of things. Is this the athletic department’s version of holding a sign outside of shopping center?

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  329

I love that site. Those guys are the only ones providing good insight into the athletic programs and relevant opinion pieces. It's very p5ish. 

• Upvote 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

Let's start with this: 

Let us not forget that we certainly didn’t fail to take care of those that failed you, and even did things like having an athletic director match all the bonuses of his head coaches... and him also be the guy to set those bonuses. Or that investing in development officers and fundraising talent instead of billboards was probably a smarter way to build a base of revenue.

I'm sure the AD didn't set his own bonus so whomever signed his contract has some blame - if this is even a bad thing.  Also, if we didn't buy billboard space he'd be complaining of not marketing the team enough.

Then:

We are located in the lightning capital of the world, which means sunshine and palm trees and too many missed practices. As our friends at PAPN have repeatedly pointed out on a national broadcast, we’ve got a football team splitting a weight room with a volleyball team and a soccer team, and that just isn’t done in 2019 at any schools at our level.

I've seen WBB working out in a separate weight room.  Don't think every student athlete is using that same gym.  

And:

Too many donors that could have helped were asked to spend for other departments. Improving a top-flight medical school or a College of Business are, ya know, why universities should and do exist. So I don’t begrudge the priorities. 

I don't believe anyone is twisting anyone's arm to give to Business over Athletics. People give where their hearts are. Some give to both. Some choose one over another.  Some people switched from Athletics because of Harlan.  

Finally:

He chose USF because he believed in the potential of the Bulls. He’s not offering his resume all over the NCAA unlike his predecessors. And he inherited an absolute mess from people that didn’t care enough or basically abdicated the best interests of the program, and has chosen to put his head down and start digging. And if you follow him on social media, you’ll see the level of interaction has never been higher. The people he’s hired are smarter, sharper, and they’ve got a plan to get this fixed.

And some of those people are leaving because they are smarter and sharper.  One is now the Pres of the new XFL Tampa team.  Another just took a job to head the fund raising dept at UTEP.  It is pretty normal in this business to lose people - either because they hate the boss, aren't paid enough or find better opportunities.

Edited by CousinRicky
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, Bullcocky said:

I love that site. Those guys are the only ones providing good insight into the athletic programs and relevant opinion pieces. It's very p5ish. 

If that’s what p5 looks like I owe the Aac a major apology 

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I wish the dude would just stop condescending the fan base. He has no special knowledge or wisdom. We don't need your advice. 

He sounds tone deaf if you consider his post from only 11 months ago. Collin you clearly don't know what you are talking about. Last year, your advice was "stay patient, relax".....so now it's "panic we need more money"? 

I believe these posts are more about his ego than anything else. 

https://www.thedailystampede.com/2018/11/26/18113760/usf-football-charlie-strong-2018-coaching-changes

But after talking with over a dozen people connected to the program at all levels, a post-mortem screed is not necessary. Because everything that needs to happen is actually happening.

A great point I heard from a football staffer: “If Nick Saban can hire Lane Kiffin and Mike Locksley and start throwing the ball on tempo, why can’t Charlie Strong?” All the other pieces for success seem to be in place, so scrapping everything and starting over simply might not be the best choice at this stage of USF’s development, and with such a huge schedule next year.

So my advice to USF is to stay patient, relax, and realize that changes are coming to the Bulls. But they will be thoughtful, well-reasoned changes, and not made simply for easy short-term public relations or the bloodlust of the masses.

Which is exactly what USF fans should want.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Breaking News:

100% of all departments at all universities need more money.  

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  12,253
  • Days Won:  25

The easiest way to increase athletic revenue is to win and get to a bigger bowls for exposure and earning. Fans will support a winning team, bigger conference could possibly take interest , and  bigger bowl wins have larger pay outs. CCS would rather blame everyone, but himself for our last two seasons. HE inherited a diamond in the rough turned it into a brown nugget.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801

Also we haven’t lost money yet.  We underpaid Charlie at $1 mill per year and Oregon owed us $1.4 million paid by Florida St. so right now we are breaking even. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,007
  • Days Won:  38

4 hours ago, Bullcocky said:

I read an article earlier that was definitely clowning the secret contract.  Good stuff!