• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Looks like Tags may be available

Guest Jonesy Bull
7 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Just  my 2¢, but "coaching ability" strikes me as a bit of a misnomer for the "Head Coach". The head coach is The Man and responsible, that much is true. But his ability to hire and manage a competent staff will make or break him. His staff recruiting the right players will make him or break him. There's so much that goes into the job long before the team ever hits the field. 

IMO his "coaching" job is motivation. Motivation at practice, motivation pre-game, motivation in-game,  and motivating his coaches to do the job they're hired for. I'm not sure CCS is the correct type of motivator needed at USF.

I dont agree with your assessment of this situation.  While what you say has truth. The HC still has to make the big "in game" decisions which imo Tags is not very good at.  His clock management skills are also questionable.  Every situation is different ie Bowden in his later years was basically a figure head.  Taggart being younger in his career is much more hands on.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,683
  • Days Won:  108

4 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Slick Willie will be at Michigan next year as a coordinator. He just found out his limitations as a college coach. 

S/B a Recruiting Coordinator.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,025
  • Days Won:  38

Does FSU have an IPF? #DOSOMETHING

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,458
  • Days Won:  25

13 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I dont agree with your assessment of this situation.  While what you say has truth. The HC still has to make the big "in game" decisions which imo Tags is not very good at.  His clock management skills are also questionable.  Every situation is different ie Bowden in his later years was basically a figure head.  Taggart being younger in his career is much more hands on.

100% agree with the in game decisions, but I'm not talking about Taggart, I'm talking about CCS. I also don't think CCS makes good in game decisions.

Tags, I believe, is a good motivator. I do NOT believe that he is was surrounded by a competent support staff.

CCS might now have a competent support staff, but I'm still not sold on that. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,683
  • Days Won:  108

Win/Loss records

95 - 52  .625
74 - 49  .602
141 - 105  .573
56 - 62  .475

Leavitt
Strong
Holtz
Taggart

Only one of those is currently coaching a team that is receiving votes in the Poll.  That would SH with La Tech (7).

All this arguing over who is the better coach and, other than WT, you could throw a blanket over the first 3. All have their plusses and minuses.  The only common thread, and I'm going based on my recall, is that all coached teams with a lot of penalties.  

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

100% agree with the in game decisions, but I'm not talking about Taggart, I'm talking about CCS. I also don't think CCS makes good in game decisions.

Tags, I believe, is a good motivator. I do NOT believe that he is was surrounded by a competent support staff.

CCS might now have a competent support staff, but I'm still not sold on that. 

I will agree with you on the first 2 points.

The CCS support staff, I'll let the season play out before I am 100% sold, although I believe we have absolutely upgraded from last year.  Whether that will be enough going forward, time will tell. 

This all could be a moot point, if we don't get to 6-6 and a Bowl game, then this Staff may very well be gone.  Beat Temple, and I think we find a way to get one more win in the last 3.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

4 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Win/Loss records

95 - 52  .625
74 - 49  .602
141 - 105  .573
56 - 62  .475

Leavitt
Strong
Holtz
Taggart

Only one of those is currently coaching a team that is receiving votes in the Poll.  That would SH with La Tech (7).

All this arguing over who is the better coach and, other than WT, you could throw a blanket over the first 3. All have their plusses and minuses.  The only common thread, and I'm going based on my recall, is that all coached teams with a lot of penalties.  

It’s super funny that this board has labeled one of the listed as a program builder and two as program destroyers but both of the destroyers are more than 20% more successful than the “builder”. Even more funny is that people question CJL’s success here despite the fact it’s leaps and bounds greater than any other coach we have had and it was against far more difficult competition.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It’s super funny that this board has labeled one of the listed as a program builder and two as program destroyers but both of the destroyers are more than 20% more successful than the “builder”. Even more funny is that people question CJL’s success here despite the fact it’s leaps and bounds greater than any other coach we have had and it was against far more difficult competition.

joe pesci goodfellas GIF

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

joe pesci goodfellas GIF

Funny in that how people choose to look at data and label people has more to do with how they perceive things than actual empirical data.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I have zero animosity towards Tags other than I wished he was here for Quinton's senior campaign.  Whispers were that Mack would have been back had Taggart not left.

This change would have revised his perception on this board for sure. Then he could have bolted for wherever he wanted.