• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The TBP Official In Game Thread: Bulls vs. S.C. State

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Stats I saw said 5.5 per carry, holding them to 2.1 ..... and I guess it's all about how you want to look at things. We didn't really have to drive the ball that much on them. After the first two negative drives shaking off JM's first start jitters, there were 11 drives with Jordan under center and we scored on 8 of them. I realize that 11/11 would have been optimal but still ..... but I do agree that we won't really know much until SMU but just pointing out that, as usual, you can look at a game and glean what you want to from it.

You are correct.  Fuzzy math on my part.  But that last drive still contributed mightily to those numbers.  8 carries for 89 yards.  Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and we run it for 200+ against SMU.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

33 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

You are correct.  Fuzzy math on my part.  But that last drive still contributed mightily to those numbers.  8 carries for 89 yards.  Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and we run it for 200+ against SMU.

I just hope we win ...

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, Triple B said:

I just hope we win ...

Amen to that brother.

Doesnt have to be pretty, just get'er done somehow!

Winnable game and loseable game equally imo.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  145

9 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

We played SC State. We had one sustained drive against them that I remember.  We have no idea if we've improved until we play SMU.  We averaged about 4 yds per carry. We had 2 drives of 75+, 1 other over 50.  It's better than losing but not sure how much we improved.  They drove the ball on us more than we did on them.  Fortunately they turned it over a bunch.  

My thoughts precisely. While it was nice to have a victory with lots of points and turnovers, we cannot assume this means we have fixed our issues. SMU and the rest of the AAC schedule will be much stronger competition. If anything-- this gave our players a chance to remember how to win a game, make big plays, and enjoy themselves while doing so. As much as some folks despise starting out a season against an FCS opponent, not doing so has an impact as well. Having that "cupcake" game can expose problems, knock off the rust without risking an early loss, and in general get the team some positive inertia. Playing our toughest team first has the opposite effect unless we are firing on all cylinders.

You can feast on that cupcake but we should look at it for what it is and be aware of areas of weakness.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I thought the game ended three days ago...

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

10 hours ago, MikeG said:

My thoughts precisely. While it was nice to have a victory with lots of points and turnovers, we cannot assume this means we have fixed our issues. SMU and the rest of the AAC schedule will be much stronger competition. If anything-- this gave our players a chance to remember how to win a game, make big plays, and enjoy themselves while doing so. As much as some folks despise starting out a season against an FCS opponent, not doing so has an impact as well. Having that "cupcake" game can expose problems, knock off the rust without risking an early loss, and in general get the team some positive inertia. Playing our toughest team first has the opposite effect unless we are firing on all cylinders.

You can feast on that cupcake but we should look at it for what it is and be aware of areas of weakness.

Well said Mike.   This is especially important for a team that was in the middle of an 8 game losing streak. Some people forget these are young men and not emotionless robots.   

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I thought the game ended three days ago...

But analysis hasn't 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, DELdaBull said:

But analysis hasn't 

Unfortunately....

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

According to the 7-0 ers from last year we are not allowed to analyze and just enjoy the winning streak.  If it smells like 💩 the it is 💩 no matter how you want to describe it.