• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The TBP Official In Game Thread: Bulls vs. S.C. State

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

18 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Strong does not have a killer instinct. This is a fact.

Because he took a kneel down up 39 with seconds remaining in a game?

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, DELdaBull said:

Because he took a kneel down up 39 with seconds remaining in a game?

No.

Because of his entire body of work, his demeanor, his results.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  12,221
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

No.

1 hour ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

No.

IF you aren't going to judge strong fair, don't talk to me. MY best Strong impression.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,004
  • Days Won:  38

2 hours ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

No.

My only criticism is his game time decision making is almost Holtzian.  There is, say, flip flopping on strategy with a minute left, or not going for the kill when momentum dictates.  That makes me nervous, but as long as the team keeps improving, it will be hard to argue with those results.  That's why I need to see more games play out with a chance to score on offense (finally).

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

4 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

My only criticism is his game time decision making is almost Holtzian.  There is, say, flip flopping on strategy with a minute left, or not going for the kill when momentum dictates.  That makes me nervous, but as long as the team keeps improving, it will be hard to argue with those results.  That's why I need to see more games play out with a chance to score on offense (finally).

Holtzian is a great adjective and adverb.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,004
  • Days Won:  38

Just now, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Holtzian is a great adjective and adverb.

There's a particular home game against Miami that gives me traumatic flashbacks.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,672
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, Rocky Style said:

We played SC State. We had one sustained drive against them that I remember.  We have no idea if we've improved until we play SMU.  We averaged about 4 yds per carry. We had 2 drives of 75+, 1 other over 50.  It's better than losing but not sure how much we improved.  They drove the ball on us more than we did on them.  Fortunately they turned it over a bunch.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

On 9/14/2019 at 8:12 PM, Bullrush33 said:

Let’s not get crazy. 8 turnovers are the biggest difference here. Mostly caused by sc state themselves. Offense has no rhythm, run game non existent. Cronkite injury? Joiner is fast but true freshman and just switched positions again. O line doesn’t know blocking assignments. Receivers had dropsies again.  What’s good? At least with McCloud we can score. His feet give us an edge we need with the shoddy Oline. I really hate pro style offense for us. It doesn’t work here.

That last sentence bothers me, even though it has been the case thus far. They built a line that could protect the QB at Valdosta State, but here at the University of South Florida? Nope, we can't recruit a line that can protect the QB. We need gimmick offenses here. 

You are probably right though. I don't watch much High School football, but from what I understand, not many run Pro Style offenses in Florida, so there will always be that learning curve. It may take time to get the right pieces in place to really get this offense down, but not sure it's worth the wait.

Edited by USFBulls727

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

We played SC State. We had one sustained drive against them that I remember.  We have no idea if we've improved until we play SMU.  We averaged about 4 yds per carry. We had 2 drives of 75+, 1 other over 50.  It's better than losing but not sure how much we improved.  They drove the ball on us more than we did on them.  Fortunately they turned it over a bunch.  

Stats I saw said 5.5 per carry, holding them to 2.1 ..... and I guess it's all about how you want to look at things. We didn't really have to drive the ball that much on them. After the first two negative drives shaking off JM's first start jitters, there were 11 drives with Jordan under center and we scored on 8 of them. I realize that 11/11 would have been optimal but still ..... but I do agree that we won't really know much until SMU but just pointing out that, as usual, you can look at a game and glean what you want to from it.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

7 hours ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Strong does not have a killer instinct. This is a fact.

This is true, I've heard he's a Street Fighter guy.