• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF vs Uconn - It’s Gameday Baby!!!!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

Got home last night and didn't stay up to read this thread.  One thing I wanted to address is the UConn fans in the floor seats. Spoke with Lelo about that at halftime.  Used to be that only $25k donors could buy tickets there.  Since they didn't sell out those seats some broker bought them and they can't tell them to whom they can sell.  This will be addressed next season and shouldn't be a problem.

Another thing someone mentioned was about seats on the club side.  There will be some changes next year in ticketing trying to get more people over there.  Probably shouldn't say what I've heard since nothing is etched in stone but one thing being considered is making it more affordable for all seats.

As for the game, I haven't seen my wife that excited about a BB game maybe ever.  It was such a good feeling walking out with that W.  Early on I thought their guards were much quicker than ours, and maybe overall they were.  But Qs hands are like lightning.  He had 3 steals where he knocked the ball out of their guard's hands.  One was right in front of us. Like a freakin cat.  

In CBGs talks before the game he always talks about getting better.  Improve each practice and each game. Said last night that win or lose he wanted to see improvement.  Love this guy. Someone asked him the starting lineup and I couldn't follow as it was almost all initials: Q, X, JB, Y and Durr.

Edited by CousinRicky
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

I gave Rideau a hard time at the beginning the of the year but he is making a believer out of me.  He uses his body well.  Reminds me of Jameer Nelson.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  146

I'm not sure I will ever get used to using Q to refer to Rideau - still looks weird to me. La-Q I could deal with.

Q will always be Flowers for me.

maybe Q2? or perhaps Q3 if you want to add his number to it.

Edited by MikeG
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

The what felt like 75 minutes of UCONN trying to foul their way to victory is why I can't stomach basketball.

Great win though, but the interminable time dilation of the last couple minutes just turns me off.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,884
  • Days Won:  33

1 hour ago, flsportsfan83 said:

they have a long way to go to match the 2012 team.

Thankfully this team will virtually be in tact for the next couple of seasons.

There is so much promise out there right now and this team is getting major contributions from Sophomores and Freshmen.

One thing this team does have in relation to the 2012 team is the toughness needed to win games within the conference. It should be no surprise since Coach Heath and Coach Gregory are from the Tom Izzo coaching tree.

Edited by John Lewis

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I really wanted to be at the game last night. My wife is a UCONN grad and I told her that we were finally going to win last night. I hadn't honestly felt like that since 2012. Would have loved to have been there in person, but, with an 8 month-old, I could only be there in spirit. 

I can't really say that I am surprised by the performance of this team to date. I could see it coming at the end of last season when the guys were still battling, getting better, and starting to develop the identity they now possess (gritty, tough, and a winning mentality). They were buying into what Gregory was selling and while we aren't quite to the point we need to be to compete for a NCAA tournament spot just yet, the talent gap is closing. This is a team of overachievers and I immensely enjoy watching them play, even if at times it looks sloppy and chaotic. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Got home last night and didn't stay up to read this thread.  One thing I wanted to address is the UConn fans in the floor seats. Spoke with Lelo about that at halftime.  Used to be that only $25k donors could buy tickets there.  Since they didn't sell out those seats some broker bought them and they can't tell them to whom they can sell.  This will be addressed next season and shouldn't be a problem.

Another thing someone mentioned was about seats on the club side.  There will be some changes next year in ticketing trying to get more people over there.  Probably shouldn't say what I've heard since nothing is etched in stone but one thing being considered is making it more affordable for all seats.

As for the game, I haven't seen my wife that excited about a BB game maybe ever.  It was such a good feeling walking out with that W.  Early on I thought their guards were much quicker than ours, and maybe overall they were.  But Qs hands are like lightning.  He had 3 steals where he knocked the ball out of their guard's hands.  One was right in front of us. Like a freakin cat.  

In CBGs talks before the game he always talks about getting better.  Improve each practice and each game. Said last night that win or lose he wanted to see improvement.  Love this guy. Someone asked him the starting lineup and I couldn't follow as it was almost all initials: Q, X, JB, Y and Durr.

So glad you mentioned this. You could see it on tv. Towards the end when Q traveled one of the Uconn fans got right in his face. It really pissed me off. I could see the guy at the end of the game as the final few seconds were down on that part of the floor...I waved bye-bye and called him a name...doubt if he heard me from New Hampshire though. Glad you brought this up with the V.P. though.

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

36 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

The what felt like 75 minutes of UCONN trying to foul their way to victory is why I can't stomach basketball.

Great win though, but the interminable time dilation of the last couple minutes just turns me off.

The way we shoot FT it is a good strategy but we do seem to nail them at the end of games. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

1 hour ago, George Jenkins said:

What was surprising to me was the amount of iso-ball we played (from what I could ascertain from the radio broadcast), and that it actually worked. I was expecting us to have to shoot our way to a victory, but in hindsight, it was a brilliant move by Gregory. Collins and Rideau were a mismatch for their smaller guards in the paint. I love this is old-school physical brand of  basketball played in the paint.

Great point. Only 8 assists on 21 fgs. If it wasn't for Rideau driving the lane in the first half, this game would have been out of reach. I get the sense that it was always the game plan for him and Collins to be aggressive and physical and Collins was just unfortunate to pick up the two quick fouls.  The way we played through that adversity was exceptional. Even Castenada was aggressive off the dribble at times and was able to get to the FT line.

One thing that is a little bit concerning is that Durr seems lost out there. He really doesn't seem to fit into what we are trying to do offensively. I know he is just a freshman and that big men can take more time to develop, but we will really need him to contribute against long, athletic opponents like Cincy and the 7'6'' behemoth Tacko Fall and UCF.  

Speaking of the Knights, Tacko is shooting an abysmal 27.7% from the foul line this season. I hope we employ a Tackle Tacko approach when we play them, at least until he shows he can get his free throws to Fall. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,519
  • Days Won:  422

24 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

So glad you mentioned this. You could see it on tv. Towards the end when Q traveled one of the Uconn fans got right in his face. It really pissed me off. I could see the guy at the end of the game as the final few seconds were down on that part of the floor...I waved bye-bye and called him a name...doubt if he heard me from New Hampshire though. Glad you brought this up with the V.P. though.

I hope like hell they address that floor seat situation. We had a couple of girls in front of us, across from USF bench, wearing UConn gear but mostly quiet. However I think I know the ******** you were talking about at the other end. Saw him before the game heading to that seat and knew he was going to be trouble. There was a UConn fan could hear yapping on the TV broadcast that I guarantee was him.