• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The elephant in the room

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

7 minutes ago, Brad said:

I think there still remains today an expectation of college coaches, much like high school coaches, that you will look out for the best interests of the young men you are entrusted with - whether they agree with it or not!

I'm not sure kicking them off the team and out of school is looking out for their best interests. maybe counseling or some sort of guidance ??

BTW the laws for possession of marijuana(23 states and DC it's legal) are almost identical to the laws against underage alcohol possession.

Both are misdemeanors. I'm wondering if his punishments are the same for underage drinking? That probably never happens though.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

14 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I'm not sure kicking them off the team and out of school is looking out for their best interests. maybe counseling or some sort of guidance ??

BTW the laws for possession of marijuana(23 states and DC it's legal) are almost identical to the laws against underage alcohol possession.

Both are misdemeanors. I'm wondering if his punishments are the same for underage drinking? That probably never happens though.

I don’t know or pretend to know the details re: Charlie Strong and his handling of players.  I’m only arguing that most coaches are expected to do what’s right for their players - allowing a no holds barred free for all is probably not it.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Brad said:

I don’t know or pretend to know the details re: Charlie Strong and his handling of players.  I’m only arguing that most coaches are expected to do what’s right for their players - allowing a no holds barred free for all is probably not it.

I'm not sure there was a no holds barred free for all going on.

I don't think any of these players were arrested. I assume they all were passing their classes. Doing everything that was expected of them on the field.

Charlie is an old school disciplinarian dinosaur. He is out of touch with today's players.

He can rule with an iron fist if he wants but don't be surprised to see more of what we saw this year.

Personally I think he lost the team. they played with no heart or emotion towards the end of the season.they certainly didn't look like they were having fun.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

On December 24, 2018 at 10:29 PM, NewEnglandBull said:

Oh my gosh how could they do that? Don’t they know you got to bend rules if you want to win (sarcasm)....

I'm not excusing, defending or condoning the breaking or bending of team rules here, but the depth of talent at Bama compared to USF makes it a little easier for them to compensate for the suspension of 3 players vs. the dismissal of 11 players at our program.

Coach Strong has every right to enforce team/school rules & players have no excuses when those rules are clearly articulated from Day 1, but *maaaaybe* CCS could show some discretion when possible or maybe even adapt those rules moving forward.

regardless, Army proved this season that the cleanest programs with the strictest of disciplinary standards (as well as recruiting disadvantages) can indeed compete & win at the FBS level, so no excuses.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

44 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I'm not sure there was a no holds barred free for all going on.

I don't think any of these players were arrested. I assume they all were passing their classes. Doing everything that was expected of them on the field.

Charlie is an old school disciplinarian dinosaur. He is out of touch with today's players.

He can rule with an iron fist if he wants but don't be surprised to see more of what we saw this year.

Personally I think he lost the team. they played with no heart or emotion towards the end of the season.they certainly didn't look like they were having fun.

You have no idea why any of these players were dismissed.  You're just making crap up as you go along

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

You have no idea why any of these players were dismissed.  You're just making crap up as you go along

I do know why 9 players were dismissed from Texas.

I don't think it was just a coincidence we had a mass purge for some other reason.

I think you are naive if you think that's the case.

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

I do know why 9 players were dismissed from Texas.

We're not Texas and it isn't relevant to these players

Edited by chapelbull

Just now, chapelbull said:

We're not Texas and it isn't relevant to these players

it is when it's the same coach

again it's not a coincidence

2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

it is when it's the same coach

again it's not a coincidence

how many of those players were dismissed for weed?

Just now, chapelbull said:

how many of those players were dismissed for weed?

all of them were dismissed for failing a drug test. charlie strong dismissed them. the ncaa would dismiss them if they failed a drug test for performance enhancing drugs.the ncaa leaves it up to a school to determine the penalties for street drugs.