• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2019 4th OOC Opponent Is....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, The Sheriff said:

If it's SCSU, what a waste of a week. Either keep playing big boys or keep it as a bye week.

Agree...step it up every week or don't....

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

18 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

No, it is not. Which is why I agree that playing an FCS (while likely a necessity) is a waste. We open at home with Wisconsin (8/31) and then go on the road to Georgia Tech (9/7). I prefer the FCS games to be a tune-up game in week one to shake off the rust of the off-season. If we have to have a non-opener FCS game, I would hope that it would be on 9/14 after playing two decent, physical teams to start the season. 

Week zero game? I know what’s you mean these games are better for tuneups, but if it can break up a heavy stretch I guess that will work too

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  685
  • Content Count:  7,646
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Roaming Bull said:

Week zero game? I know what’s you mean these games are better for tuneups, but if it can break up a heavy stretch I guess that will work too

I believe you can only play a week zero game against Hawaii or a team that is playing Hawaii that season.  I'm afraid the Badgers are our tuneup game.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

5 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

Joey Knight isn't officially reporting it, but just tweeted that he heard it is South Carolina State. Makes sense given the OOC schedule of Wisconsin, Georgia Tech, and BYU. 

with this schedule USF would have a legitimate case to crash the CFP if they run the table, even with SCSU as the 4th OOC & especially if we draw tough teams in conference. playing too many historically weak teams like Tulsa, Tulane, doesn't help us. ideally a conference slate that includes all of Houston, Cinci, Memphis, Temple, Navy & UCF each of which has had some recent success &/or name recognition (Navy) in addition to the trio of Wisconsin, GT & BYU would be a much stronger case for crashing the party than the past 2 seasons UCF has had in which they played nobody until their bowl game.

imagine a ranked Wisconsin, a potentially ranked BYU (or GTech-- one of the two), & a Houston/Cinci/UCF that are all either ranked or have been ranked at some point would look very strong.

i also think USF having been part of the BCS system, a legitimate one time "P5" member & our history of scheduling strong OOC opponents & actually winning would give USF an edge over UCF in a potential CFP-crashing situation. regardless what they say about past seasons not factoring in, I honestly believe USF has a better, more established history of competing with "P5" teams than UCF which has never played a full schedule in a real "P5" conference (no, the Big East's last year of BCS eligibility after half the teams left doesn't count).

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

10 minutes ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

with this schedule USF would have a legitimate case to crash the CFP if they run the table, even with SCSU as the 4th OOC & especially if we draw tough teams in conference. playing too many historically weak teams like Tulsa, Tulane, doesn't help us. ideally a conference slate that includes all of Houston, Cinci, Memphis, Temple, Navy & UCF each of which has had some recent success &/or name recognition (Navy) in addition to the trio of Wisconsin, GT & BYU would be a much stronger case for crashing the party than the past 2 seasons UCF has had in which they played nobody until their bowl game.

imagine a ranked Wisconsin, a potentially ranked BYU (or GTech-- one of the two), & a Houston/Cinci/UCF that are all either ranked or have been ranked at some point would look very strong.

i also think USF having been part of the BCS system, a legitimate one time "P5" member & our history of scheduling strong OOC opponents & actually winning would give USF an edge over UCF in a potential CFP-crashing situation. regardless what they say about past seasons not factoring in, I honestly believe USF has a better, more established history of competing with "P5" teams than UCF which has never played a full schedule in a real "P5" conference (no, the Big East's last year of BCS eligibility after half the teams left doesn't count).

Our AAC schedule next year is @ ECU, Navy, UCF, UConn and home with Cincy, Memphis, SMU, and Temple.

I also have doubts Wisconsin will be ranked.  Theyre 6-4 right now and only getting votes in the Coaches Poll around #40

Edited by bull2saintleo

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

10 minutes ago, bull2saintleo said:

Our AAC schedule next year is @ ECU, Navy, UCF, UConn and home with Cincy, Memphis, SMU, and Temple.

I also have doubts Wisconsin will be ranked.  Theyre 6-4 right now and only getting votes in the Coaches Poll around #40

I think Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Navy, UCF is a decent schedule. UConn is trash & SMU is assumed to be trash even when they have decent seasons. replace SMU with Houston & the conference schedule would be as good as it gets on paper. ECU has the potential to win an occasional big game or get ranked on an odd year but they also have the potential to be trash so from a "national perspective" they are kind of a neutral entity.

as for Wisconsin they will likely end up in preseason rankings off program reputation alone, altho I don't anticipate another Top 10 or Top 5 ranking for them the way they had going into this season.

my ultimate point is that USF still has a stronger overall program tradition than UCF despite the recent success & hardware UCF has. USF is more in the Boise category & I think that AND a strong schedule would give USF greater potential to crash the CFP than UCF.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

Extremely disappointing. The only FCS teams we should even consider playing, and only as a absolute last resort, are FAMU and BCC.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

2 hours ago, TakeItOrLeavitt said:

Extremely disappointing. The only FCS teams we should even consider playing, and only as a absolute last resort, are FAMU and BCC.

Haven't you been paying attention?  This was a last resort

Edited by Apis Bull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

24 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Haven't you been paying attention?  This was a last resort

Some still think we have every p5 team on retainer just waiting for us to call and then ready to drop everything a moments notice.

Edited by chapelbull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Just now, chapelbull said:

Some still think we have every p5 team on retainer just waiting for us to call and then ready to drop everything a moments notice.

ESPN certainly thinks so.