• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who does this fall on?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

2 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

About time to get this to the Mad Cow. Above is the original question and I was looking for discussion on the recruiting of our former and current coaches that lead us to this point.

Disagree that this is Mad Cow material ... not all controversy needs to be there.  Through 10 pages, you can't expect the discussion to NOT evolve, especially when Bull94 gets involved.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, GaUSFBull said:

It's not a circular argument if it's true.

And it definitely IS a circular argument if you argue apples vs. oranges.  Most full-time college students are either paying their own way or on an academic scholarship that likely doesn't have the same rules as an athletic scholarship does.  

If we're into guessing with no regard for actual relevant facts, I'm guessing that every single recruit that's ever signed an LOI to play for Charlie Strong has been made aware of his rules in advance, so yeah, it really is on them.  

not if they came in under a different coach. that's why Texas imploded.those athletes didn't sign on under strong.

Listen he can have whatever rules he wants but don't be surprised if our roster is decimated at first and don't be surprised if 40% of top level recruits decide to go elsewhere for the simple fact he is so strict when it comes to pot smoking.

personally I think it's a dumb rule

6 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

About time to get this to the Mad Cow. Above is the original question and I was looking for discussion on the recruiting of our former and current coaches that lead us to this point.

as for your original question, I think we have a culture shift going on.

I think Taggart was more of a players coach. Strong seems to be more of a disciplinarian.

You see it more in basketball because the roster size is much smaller but you can expect to have a lot of roster turnover in these situations. That will effect depth for sure. It is on Strong now to fill the voids.

Personally I didn't see the need for a culture change.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

4 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

not if they came in under a different coach. that's why Texas imploded.those athletes didn't sign on under strong.

LOL - like that really changes anything.  

6 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

personally I think it's a dumb rule

This explains why you would argue a pretty inane point.  

Just now, GaUSFBull said:

LOL - like that really changes anything.  

This explains why you would argue a pretty inane point.  

coaching changes can be seamless or they can create chaos. when you have a disciplinarian follow a players coach then you see upheaval.generally you see a lot of roster turnover. sometimes you really need that but I didn't think texas needed it and I certainly didn't think we needed a culture change.

I'm not sure what you mean by arguing an inane point

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

13 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Yes they did. Charlie Strong was hired in January of 2014. CCS was the head coach for all of Spring 2014 and Summer 2014. Any player who signed their financial aid package for the 2014-2015 school year and beyond did so with full knowledge of what standards they were being held too.

Just now, JTrue said:

Yes they did. Charlie Strong was hired in January of 2014. CCS was the head coach for all of Spring 2014 and Summer 2014. Any player who signed their financial aid package for the 2014-2015 school year and beyond did so with full knowledge of what standards they were being held too.

none of them signed a LOI with him which is what the other poster stated

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

no it's a circular argument.

in 2016 39% of full time college students admitted to smoking pot in the last 12 months. 22% admitted to smoking pot in the last 30 days. I'm guessing college football players are no different then the general public. Imagine suspending and then kicking off 22% of our players.

go ahead and blame it on the pot smokers but guess where 40% of top level recruits are going to choose to go. somewhere that doesn't care about pot smoking.

I think it's great he got rid of all those evil pot smokers at Texas. Look how much good it did for their team.....

...and what schools are these exactly? Any documentation to support such a position?

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

14 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

He was named in a Lawsuit...

Kendal Briles, the son of Art Briles, is now the offensive coordinator at Florida Atlantic University. One of the lawsuits alleges he used to ask recruits if they liked white women, then noting that Baylor had a lot of them and that “they love football players.” 

I prefer Yellow Women, but it's Ok to like White Women, I'm tired of all the racism.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,701
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, Bull94 said:

not sure it has to be black or white.

Taggart played rap music at practice. he made it fun to play football. we didn't have felons roaming the halls. He could relate to the players.

imagine two programs very similar in nature maybe 100 miles apart. so close in fact that even ESPN routinely mistakes one for the other.

Now imagine one has a coach that is very strict. No earrings. 1 failed drug test for marijuana and you are suspended for 5 games. two and you are kicked off the team.

The other program isn't as strict. sure the players must attend class and they can't be late to practice but they can also wear earrings and smoking pot isn't going to get you kicked off the team. just like it won't get you kicked out of the school.

Now say there is a 4 star recruit from say Armwood that wants to stay close to home. Which program do you think he is most likely to choose?

We are not BYU. We are a mid level AAC program and we are at a disadvantage if we expect our players to be choir boys. I'm not saying we need to recruit from prisons.

according to the NCAA 70% of student athletes who have smoked pot in the last 12 months have a grade point average of 2.84 or higher.

these are not criminals.

I get exactly what you are saying. I really do and there needs to be a happy meduim but I cant fault a guy for making rules and sticking by them. I dont know for fact but I dont think CCS will kick anyone off the team for one failed test or minor rule infraction.

I also know character doesnt win ballgames.