• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who does this fall on?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Just now, Bull94 said:

I must have missed my drug tests while in school. didn't know it was against the rules.

Strong can implement any rule he wants. Just don't be surprised if they have a negative impact on our program. He destroyed Texas by kicking off the pot smokers.

One could argue that the pot smokers destroyed Texas because they chose to do something against the coaches rules over playing FBS football at a premier university and risk their chance at going to the NFL

If you chose pot over football, that's on you.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Just now, Bull94 said:

when did it become a football coach's job to enforce the law?

I don't think "enforce" means what you think it does.

If I got a DUI on my way home today and my employer fired me, that's not an example of them "enforcing" the law.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, Apis Bull said:

One could argue that the pot smokers destroyed Texas because they chose to do something against the coaches rules over playing FBS football at a premier university and risk their chance at going to the NFL

If you chose pot over football, that's on you.

really?? good argument......

11 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I don't think "enforce" means what you think it does.

If I got a DUI on my way home today and my employer fired me, that's not an example of them "enforcing" the law.

perhaps you missed the point. you pointed out something about kids not following the law. I said a coach's job isn't to enforce it.

you see the players haven't been arrested by anyone. if they are arrested then go ahead and discipline them.

will your employer give you a breathalyzer when you get into work to make sure you aren't driving drunk?

Will they show up at your house after a nice evening out where you have a couple of drinks and test you?

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

9 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

really?? good argument......

It really was ...

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

5 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

perhaps you missed the point. you pointed out something about kids not following the law. I said a coach's job isn't to enforce it.

you see the players haven't been arrested by anyone. if they are arrested then go ahead and discipline them.

will your employer give you a breathalyzer when you get into work to make sure you aren't driving drunk?

Will they show up at your house after a nice evening out where you have a couple of drinks and test you?

My employer has the right to drug-test me any time they choose. It was in my contract.

11 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

It really was ...

no it's a circular argument.

in 2016 39% of full time college students admitted to smoking pot in the last 12 months. 22% admitted to smoking pot in the last 30 days. I'm guessing college football players are no different then the general public. Imagine suspending and then kicking off 22% of our players.

go ahead and blame it on the pot smokers but guess where 40% of top level recruits are going to choose to go. somewhere that doesn't care about pot smoking.

I think it's great he got rid of all those evil pot smokers at Texas. Look how much good it did for their team.....

Edited by Bull94

4 minutes ago, JTrue said:

My employer has the right to drug-test me any time they choose. It was in my contract.

that wasn't the point you were arguing but ok.

I'm willing to bet if you were truly a valued employee they wouldn't care two cents if you tested positive for marijuana

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

On 11/4/2018 at 10:12 AM, CousinRicky said:

It appears we came into this season with one linebacker.  There seems to be no backup at TE and some other positions.  

Does this fall on Taggart's recruiting or Strong's?

About time to get this to the Mad Cow. Above is the original question and I was looking for discussion on the recruiting of our former and current coaches that lead us to this point.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

no it's a circular argument.

in 2016 39% of full time college students admitted to smoking pot in the last 12 months. 22% admitted to smoking pot in the last 30 days. I'm guessing college football players are no different then the general public. Imagine suspending and then kicking off 22% of our players.

go ahead and blame it on the pot smokers but guess where 40% of top level recruits are going to choose to go. somewhere that doesn't care about pot smoking.

It's not a circular argument if it's true.

And it definitely IS a circular argument if you argue apples vs. oranges.  Most full-time college students are either paying their own way or on an academic scholarship that likely doesn't have the same rules as an athletic scholarship does.  

If we're into guessing with no regard for actual relevant facts, I'm guessing that every single recruit that's ever signed an LOI to play for Charlie Strong has been made aware of his rules in advance, so yeah, it really is on them.