• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who does this fall on?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

21 hours ago, JTrue said:

I get to decide what I think is in their best interest.

Love it.  

Players need this even if they never got it at home or from their club coach.  Part of being a team is following team rules whether you like them or not. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 hours ago, Brad said:

Love it.  

Players need this even if they never got it at home or from their club coach.  Part of being a team is following team rules whether you like them or not. 

Had a conversation with a student tonight for being on his phone intermittently during class. I explained that I understand people are capable of playing on their phone and listening to me speak (which people actually can't do all that well, but I'm a good liar and saying it proved my overall point). I asked him if he realized the message he was sending me was that this class didn't matter as much to him as his phone, and his actions were saying to me, the guy in charge, that he was going to do what HE wanted and not what I wanted. I'm 100% positive he walked out of the room and told all his friends I'm an out of touch idiot. I'm also the one who calculates his grade and I don't give a **** what HE thinks since my name is on the syllabus and I'm the one the school hired to do a job whatever way I see fit. When he's put in the better part of a decade in various universities and stacks a few degrees next to his name like I have, he gets to call the shots in the classroom.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

15 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

To each his own I guess. I really would not want my son playing for a coach where smoking weed is allowable...

I can't remember if it was that particular article but there were some comments from high level d1 coaches I just read that talked about some of the conditions these kids are raised in where pot is being smoked in front of them since they were toddlers. It's part of their culture. It is gaining wide spread acceptance now and is being legalized in many states. Again we will not build a winning program with choir boys.

15 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

I've been trying to avoid this part of the discussion but figured if this is where it is now, what the heck.  I don't know if any coach will make a general announcement about it being okay to smoke weed.  BUT, if a student athlete gets caught doing it there are a whole variety of ways to handle it.  It appears Strong's is "you're out" while another may get a half or a game suspension or fill in the # of games ______.  

I for one don't believe our missing RBs are injured.  I do believe they have broken one of the team rules.

I'm thinking the guys that are listed as "unspecified" by the Times might actually be suspended. We are supposed to get both DT Kevin Kegler and Mekhi LaPointe back. they were out for "unspecified" reasons.

15 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

Is there any evidence that CCS kicks players off the team for 1st or even 2nd time offenses?

Here is an article about how Strong increased testing when he got to Texas. 9 players had been kicked off the team before he coached his 3rd game there. In fact it looks like at least 4 players were dismissed and 2 indefinitely suspended before he ever coached a game there.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/11586960/texas-longhorns-drug-testing-efforts-double-coach-charlie-strong

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I can't remember if it was that particular article but there were some comments from high level d1 coaches I just read that talked about some of the conditions these kids are raised in where pot is being smoked in front of them since they were toddlers. It's part of their culture. It is gaining wide spread acceptance now and is being legalized in many states. Again we will not build a winning program with choir boys.

This is irrelevant.  If the rule is, "no smoking pot" and you chose to break that rule, then you have chosen pot over playing football.

Driving over the speed limit is widely accepted and I do it.  If I get stopped and ticketed because I get caught speeding, I'm not going to whine and ***** about how speed limit laws are crap and unfair.  I'm going to accept my punishment and pay my fine because I chose to speed.

2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Here is an article about how Strong increased testing when he got to Texas. 9 players had been kicked off the team before he coached his 3rd game there. In fact it looks like at least 4 players were dismissed and 2 indefinitely suspended before he ever coached a game there.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/11586960/texas-longhorns-drug-testing-efforts-double-coach-charlie-strong

Nothing in that article states that the players that were kicked off the team were first time offenders.  The fact that some players got suspended would indicate that the others have had violated team rules before (maybe not just pot).

1 minute ago, Apis Bull said:

This is irrelevant.  If the rule is, "no smoking pot" and you chose to break that rule, then you have chosen pot over playing football.

Driving over the speed limit is widely accepted and I do it.  If I get stopped and ticketed because I get caught speeding, I'm not going to whine and ***** about how speed limit laws are crap and unfair.  I'm going to accept my punishment and pay my fine because I chose to speed.

again I said Strong can have any rules he wants. he can tell players that they can't have tattoos or not allow them to wear baggy pants or hell not allow them to wear the color purple. 

I just want people to understand what his rules did to the program at Texas.

Just now, Bull94 said:

I just want people to understand what his rules did to the program at Texas.

This is a perfect example of your problem.  It's not his rules that did that to Texas, it was the players inability to abide by his rules that did it.  I know that we are in an era of nobody taking personable responsibility, but come on.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

8 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

This is a perfect example of your problem.  It's not his rules that did that to Texas, it was the players inability to abide by his rules that did it.  I know that we are in an era of nobody taking personable responsibility, but come on.

Just to follow up, I have no issue with those who choose their own demons and not take responsibility.  That is their issue.  My objection is the fact that they expect people like me to pay for it all. 

When I was young enough to play, I had long hair and usually grew out my beard a few days before each shave.  Had a coach who wanted very short hair and clean shaven players.  I chose not to play for him and had no issues with his rules.  His rules, my choice.