• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Please Get Rid of Strong

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, puc86 said:

You don’t understand why people would prefer the best coach that we have had that had the best record that we have had against the best competition that we have had that were also the most marquee of wins that we have had over what has pretty much been an abortion of a program up until the most recent years in the worst conference we have been in since our creation where people want to burn the program down if you even lose one game in it? You don’t think being the best coach in what was a pretty decent up and coming universities history make you great and building a program from scratch to number 2 in the nation makes you a great coach? What does? He isn’t Nick Saban or maybe not Dabo I’ll give you that but we aren’t Alabama (which offered him the job) or Clemson either and he is the greatest we have had and it’s not even a little bit close.

I don't understand why people want to go backwards and not move forward. I appreciate all that CJL has done, but the bottom line is I want a Conference Championship, I want an NY6 bowl win and CJL never did that. I want a better coach than we've ever had, I want our program better than it's ever been; which means we need better coaches, not to rehash the past. 

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  807

We really don't have as much talent on defense as this post suggests. We rarely generate any kind of pass rush, don't tackle well have smaller DB's for the most part. Teams run on us because the most active LB we have is a Safety. Last year, I definitely get this post. This year, not so much. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

We need more players on defense all over..especially LB....hope Strong can bring some in.

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

I wish people would stop acting like this program is like Bama's. I have said time and time again that there is not much talent on this team and certainly no depth across the board. I saw the same his first 2 years at Louisville. Once these young guys get some experience and put some depth on this roster it will be a beautiful thing. We are 2 years removed from the worst d in the country and the recruitment from the past staff glares. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574

8 hours ago, puc86 said:

You don’t understand why people would prefer the best coach that we have had that had the best record that we have had against the best competition that we have had that were also the most marquee of wins that we have had over what has pretty much been an abortion of a program up until the most recent years in the worst conference we have been in since our creation where people want to burn the program down if you even lose one game in it? You don’t think being the best coach in what was a pretty decent up and coming universities history make you great and building a program from scratch to number 2 in the nation makes you a great coach? What does? He isn’t Nick Saban or maybe not Dabo I’ll give you that but we aren’t Alabama (which offered him the job) or Clemson either and he is the greatest we have had and it’s not even a little bit close.

i always have to laugh when i read some of these threads.  many think that CCS is doing a great job losing only 3 games in 1 3/4 seasons.  rarely do we win with ease- look at the scores please.  these are the same teams that many on this board felt were opponents not worth even going to the game to watch..  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

8 hours ago, Brad said:

And Miami, and Kansas and WVU again.  I wonder what a coach and team that beat those schools could do in the P6, AAC?  

I think Skip Holtz could have beaten Miami. 

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574

8 hours ago, Brad said:

He beat the ones we weren't supposed to.  So much more fun for the fans.

And he did beat the ones he was supposed to - like UCF.

He just didn't go undefeated every year (or close to it) like CWT and CCS have been able to do in AAC.  it was a much stronger conference and the OOC was also strong in his tenure.  It's apples and oranges.

This

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  958

8 hours ago, Brad said:

And Miami, and Kansas and WVU again.  I wonder what a coach and team that beat those schools could do in the P6, AAC?  

But who cares.  Those that were around for it enjoyed it.  It set the bar.  We ain't going back.

And this is the exact problem with the CJL apologists thinking. The "marquee" wins over shadow the "marquee" losses; and this is because with any single win like that, we still have 0 conference championships, 0 BCS bowls and 0 NY6 bowl wins. I personally would trade the non conference wins of those years for wins against Rutgers, Cincy and UCONN (you know, the actual games that matter), this would mean we would have won the BE and played in a BCS bowl. And we didn't even have to go undefeated to do it, most years one or two losses would have won the BE, but he couldn't even do that. The excuse that the BE was much more difficult back then is all relative. Did we not have similar talent to the other teams in our conference? Similar money? Then I don't want to hear it, sounds like another excuse for CJL. I want better for our program and school. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

13 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I’m not for firing him and I think this thread is also pointless. However, a team stays mediocre if they don’t win at least 1 game they’re not supposed to every once in awhile. There is at the very least 1 game every season where you will not be favored, and we’re in idle if we can find a way to construct a win against at least one of those teams more than once every 5 years.  

13 hours ago, Hueyhog20 said:

I could have beaten myself off while coaching and we’d be 7–1....Strong is terrible and doesn't  know how to maximize this FL talent he has. 

11 hours ago, JTrue said:

So just to summarize the argument. You would like us to have a coach who can both recruit great players AND be spectacular with Xs and Os? Let me know when you have our replacement lined up. 

All on our P6 budget.

10 hours ago, puc86 said:

You left off GT that just lost to Vtech, for some reason. Also even if we were 75 to 25 dominating favorites over every team we played thus far (we aren’t) we still would have had a probability to be 6-2 to this point. Teams lose to teams they are strongly favored over every single week.

GT won 49-28

10 hours ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

17-3 is worthy of getting fired?

why doesn't EVERY coach in the AAC go 17-3?

Houston has one of the 2 best QB's in the conference & receivers that our DB's couldn't cover.

stop pretending this team is so much more talented than everybody we play. 

This↑

I will add that we desperately need an upgrade on the defensive side of the ball. Not sure how strong Strong's commitment is to his assistants. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

38 minutes ago, michibull said:

And this is the exact problem with the CJL apologists thinking. The "marquee" wins over shadow the "marquee" losses; and this is because with any single win like that, we still have 0 conference championships, 0 BCS bowls and 0 NY6 bowl wins. I personally would trade the non conference wins of those years for wins against Rutgers, Cincy and UCONN (you know, the actual games that matter), this would mean we would have won the BE and played in a BCS bowl. And we didn't even have to go undefeated to do it, most years one or two losses would have won the BE, but he couldn't even do that. The excuse that the BE was much more difficult back then is all relative. Did we not have similar talent to the other teams in our conference? Similar money? Then I don't want to hear it, sounds like another excuse for CJL. I want better for our program and school. 

I hate that this is derailing into a discussion on previous coaches but let me just say that taking a team from inception to a BCS conference is a pretty big accomplishment, along with marquee top 25 wins and bowl wins/appearances.  Once joining the Big East he had only a couple of years to adjust to a different caliber of talent.  You can't simply discount that and say ' no championships, u are all apologists'.  At the end of his tenure he had teams that you felt could compete with anyone; and he had enough wins against quality opponents to justify that.  I'm not saying bring the guy back but come on, let's not pretend there are no legit reasons to like the job he did.  From there it's perfectly reasonable to expect people to think 'what if he came back?'.