• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Horns Up Billboard on 275 gone....replaced by

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, puc86 said:

It’s our black uniform on the left

A83C0ED4-5FE2-41C3-8E57-5AAA98535168.png

Ahh...everyone has been referring to these as the black unis and not the soflo ones so that explains it. Well if that is the case I like the soflos 1000 times better on black. This is actually pretty sharp. Look forward to seeing them against ucf. 

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Ahh...everyone has been referring to these as the black unis and not the soflo ones so that explains it. Well if that is the case I like the soflos 1000 times better on black. This is actually pretty sharp. Look forward to seeing them against ucf. 

If that's the case are we gonna play back in black by ACDC when we take the field?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

20 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This decision was Judy’s Waterloo. Somehow someway staff/faculty must have been requesting a seperste brand for academics/university programs. Why? I have no idea. I have taught at five major research universities and none of them have separate logos or brands. But then to follow it up with an atrocious looking logo is beyond comprehension. You screwed up Judy on your way out the door...

A unified logo has been in the works for over a year. And plenty of institutions have separate logos. There isn't a single building, letterhead, email, ANYTHING on UF's campus that uses the Gatorhead or the "F" if it's not athletics related. Idea was solid, execution eats it.

http://identity.ufl.edu/logo-usage/

Gator verboten.

Edited by JTrue
  • Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I would add that USF's trajectory seems to be ignored by the new logo. The elementary color of the pastel green is the exact opposite of the pivot USF made 16 years ago to leave its nascent commuter school reputation behind. The fan base and alums have longed for USF to grow into a peer alongside other titans of education, which is what the previous clean, formal, traditional academic logo represented. Under Dr. Genshaft, USF has grown into an institution which counts itself among the higher echelons of academia. The new academic logo counters that with a more elementary, unrefined look, which while non-traditional, is non-traditional in ways which is highly risks interpretation as unbecoming of an accomplished academic institution. It blurs the line between academics and athletics but not in a way that complements academics like other universities which use athletics logos incorporated into their academic logos - this is a whole new identity for academics which is not academic. The font also definitely appears as though a kid wrote it... formal lettering is best, and while a twist may be worth a risk, that new font is too elementary and gives the impression of a primary or secondary school. Just imagine it on a diploma... which is where you'd expect to find an academic logo. I am 35 and far from stodgy or stuffy, and the one place I would want to communicate formality would be an academic logo and on a diploma. I appreciate the nod toward ambition and non-tradition, but there should be a little tradition and it should acknowledge the historic upward trajectory of the university. Go Bulls!

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

9 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

I would add that USF's trajectory seems to be ignored by the new logo. The elementary color of the pastel green is the exact opposite of the pivot USF made 16 years ago to leave its nascent commuter school reputation behind. The fan base and alums have longed for USF to grow into a peer alongside other titans of education, which is what the previous clean, formal, traditional academic logo represented. Under Dr. Genshaft, USF has grown into an institution which counts itself among the higher echelons of academia. The new academic logo counters that with a more elementary, unrefined look, which while non-traditional, is non-traditional in ways which is highly risks interpretation as unbecoming of an accomplished academic institution. It blurs the line between academics and athletics but not in a way that complements academics like other universities which use athletics logos incorporated into their academic logos - this is a whole new identity for academics which is not academic. The font also definitely appears as though a kid wrote it... formal lettering is best, and while a twist may be worth a risk, that new font is too elementary and gives the impression of a primary or secondary school. Just imagine it on a diploma... which is where you'd expect to find an academic logo. I am 35 and far from stodgy or stuffy, and the one place I would want to communicate formality would be an academic logo and on a diploma. I appreciate the nod toward ambition and non-tradition, but there should be a little tradition and it should acknowledge the historic upward trajectory of the university. Go Bulls!

I think just the seal is on my diploma, has the seal changed with this?

Edited by puc86

23 minutes ago, JTrue said:

A unified logo has been in the works for over a year. And plenty of institutions have separate logos. There isn't a single building, letterhead, email, ANYTHING on UF's campus that uses the Gatorhead or the "F" if it's not athletics related. Idea was solid, execution eats it.

http://identity.ufl.edu/logo-usage/

Gator verboten.

I am aware of the background as it was announced long ago that this was going to be done. But from a marketing perspective the theory of separate logos for such a young university is silly and has little impact on the market (except maybe confusion). For every school that uses multiple logos I can show you two that do not. But yes, the execution was terrible. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  152

44 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This decision was Judy’s Waterloo. Somehow someway staff/faculty must have been requesting a seperste brand for academics/university programs. Why? I have no idea. I have taught at five major research universities and none of them have separate logos or brands. But then to follow it up with an atrocious looking logo is beyond comprehension. You screwed up Judy on your way out the door...

maybe she screwed up with this logo change but it is hardly so bad that it needs to be called a Waterloo type event. And if this is her Waterloo-- that says she had a very good run. Firing Leavitt-- that was a Waterloo moment if you want me to identify one

but yeah- ugly logo

Nice of USF to put them on a billboard though to remind commuters to check their investment portfolios

Edited by MikeG
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I think just the seal is on my diploma, has the seal changed with this?

According to my alumni committee contacts that is untouchable. But you wonder...

2 minutes ago, MikeG said:

maybe she screwed up with this logo change but it is hardly so bad that it needs to be called a Waterloo type event. And if this is her Waterloo-- that says she had a very good run. Firing Leavitt-- that was a Waterloo moment if you want me to identify one

but yeah- ugly logo

Nice of USF to put them on a billboard though to remind commuters to check their investment portfolios

Relative to alumni and our support of the university, it is a Waterloo for me, others may feel differently of course. What’s done is done, it’s not going anywhere in the short-term future. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I am aware of the background as it was announced long ago that this was going to be done. But from a marketing perspective the theory of separate logos for such a young university is silly and has little impact on the market (except maybe confusion). For every school that uses multiple logos I can show you two that do not. But yes, the execution was terrible. 

I'm sure there are plenty that don't. But I've only ever worked for two Florida state universities and the finest community college in Hillsborough County, and they all separate athletics and academics.