• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gotta Get This Off The Chest

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn at Curtis Hixon back in the day and the only guy standing in the entire audience  is about 4 rows in front of me.  Hes not only standing up, he’s standing in his chair.  I finally get fed up and wad up my paper cup and throw and hit him mid back. He turns around and glares down at the guy behind him and he shrugs and says it wasn’t him. Then everyone says “Sit DOWN”. He does his tough guy glare at the crowd and then sits. Was that you? 

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,011
  • Days Won:  38

3 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

I will never understand why anyone would want to stand for three or four hours... I am one of those who would politely ask you to sit down.

There is a reason why there are SEATS in a stadium, after all - they are there in which ti SIT.

Standing WHEN APPROPRIATE (3rd downs, exciting plays, etc) is fine.  Standing when it's just ordinary football will never ever make sense to me.

Do you stand when you go see a movie? Or a broadway show? 

I would probably stand the entire time if I could and just sit down during the breaks (TV, QTRs, HALF)

Who's to judge which play is exciting or appropriate?  Also, college football is very different than a movie or a Broadway show to me.  Anyway, I think it would be a cool idea to make a section or two that are just rowdy as hell and let the rest of the people stand up and sit down during pre-ordained moments.  The atmosphere really sucks at Ray Jay in a lot of the areas.

That being said, I'm for anyone buying a ticket because we need every ticket sale we can get.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

7 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

I will never understand why anyone would want to stand for three or four hours... I am one of those who would politely ask you to sit down.

There is a reason why there are SEATS in a stadium, after all - they are there in which ti SIT.

Standing WHEN APPROPRIATE (3rd downs, exciting plays, etc) is fine.  Standing when it's just ordinary football will never ever make sense to me.

Do you stand when you go see a movie? Or a broadway show? 

And this is why we need standing sections. You may not want to stand but plenty of other people do and it’s a pretty normal way that people enjoy college football. Sure there are seats there that you can use for sitting (or banging on, or holding your beer) but they don’t have restraints that force you to sit in them, it’s an option which some choose not to use. College football isn’t a movie or a broadway play, there is no fourth wall and the fans directly interact with the performance to the point where teams celebrate them as a 12th man. Standing and cheering and directly trying to disturb the performance would be frowned upon at most any other form of entertainment but at most college football places, outside of USF, it’s seen as a positive. It’s easier to cheer and make noise when you are standing than it is when you are sitting like you are at church.

• Upvote 1

I think there can be a consensus when a play is exciting and it's appropriate to stand... But 2nd and 8 in the 3rd quarter winning by three TDs would likely NOT be one of them. (Not that OP said that, just illustrating when most people would be expecting to sit down)

I still don't understand standing and watching... the view isn't any better (assuming no one is standing in front of you)...

It's just not normal.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

And this is why we need standing sections. You may not want to stand but plenty of other people do and it’s a pretty normal way that people enjoy college football. Sure there are seats there that you can use for sitting (or banging on, or holding your beer) but they don’t have restraints that force you to sit in them, it’s an option which some choose not to use. College football isn’t a movie or a broadway play, there is no fourth wall and the fans directly interact with the performance to the point where teams celebrate them as a 12th man. Standing and cheering and directly trying to disturb the performance would be frowned upon at most any other form of entertainment but at most college football places, outside of USF, it’s seen as a positive. It’s easier to cheer and make noise when you are standing than it is when you are sitting like you are at church. 

Standing and CHEERING makes sense. Standing and WATCHING makes absolutely NO sense... and most of the time people stand and watch quietly.

RayJay has standing sections... in the north and south endzones! 🙂

Just now, JimUSFSig said:

I think there can be a consensus when a play is exciting and it's appropriate to stand... But 2nd and 8 in the 3rd quarter winning by three TDs would likely NOT be one of them. (Not that OP said that, just illustrating when most people would be expecting to sit down)

I still don't understand standing and watching... the view isn't any better (assuming no one is standing in front of you)...

It's just not normal.

It’s actually the most normal and preferred form of watching at most major programs. Look at any student section which is where most people acknowledge the excitement and cheering is coming from, all are standing. So while it may not be normal for you it’s normal for a lot of people, and when you are looking for people to interpret events and come to a consensus without clearly defined guidelines you are asking way to much.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

This is a tough topic. I have always thought that you should stand at college sporting events. As I get older I can appreciate sitting for normal plays and standing for third and fourth downs or that final drive. As a tall guy I have no problem seeing over people while standing. My wife is only 5'2" and my grandson is only 7 years old. When people stood yesterday they struggled to see. Fortunately we were under the overhang and had monitors for them to watch. 

So there is no right or wrong answer. If people infront of me stand and block my view I stand. I'll sit otherwise to not block the people behind me except for big plays in which case most others are standing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

Standing and CHEERING makes sense. Standing and WATCHING makes absolutely NO sense... and most of the time people stand and watch quietly.

RayJay has standing sections... in the north and south endzones! 🙂

The student section is the only area I’ve seen no one be harassed for standing. The alumni end zone is mostly hype with no bite.

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It’s actually the most normal and preferred form of watching at most major programs. Look at any student section which is where most people acknowledge the excitement and cheering is coming from, all are standing. So while it may not be normal for you it’s normal for a lot of people, and when you are looking for people to interpret events and come to a consensus without clearly defined guidelines you are asking way to much.

Yes, and at those major programs the non-student sections are not standing for the entire game.

So clearly this is one of those "student traditions" one gives up after graduating.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Yeah I stand up for big plays but not for a whole game.

This also reminds me of fans that start yelling when we go for it on 4th down...shut up why are you making it harder for your team.