• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is it a stretch to say...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I think it's more meaningful than both USCe & TT because it's still early in the season. It sets the stage for a special campaign. The way I see it the South Carolina and Texas Tech victories were fun wins over mediore P5 teams in essentially meaningless games.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

I think it’s very meaningful. Success breeds success. This next week against Illinois is now a huge game as well.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286

1 hour ago, USF Bulls Football said:

Do the bowls count as ooc opponents? If so, I think usc(e ) was bigger.

Or even Texas Tech. GT was 5-6 last year, and not sure if they are expected to be any better this year. A thrilling win for sure, but it is not a whole lot different than South Carolina or Texas Tech.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286

1 hour ago, TakeItOrLeavitt said:

I think it's more meaningful than both USCe & TT because it's still early in the season. It sets the stage for a special campaign. The way I see it the South Carolina and Texas Tech victories were fun wins over mediore P5 teams in essentially meaningless games.

The win against GT was a fun win over a mediocre P5 team as well, but could end up being meaningful if it helps get us the NY6 spot...

Edited by USFBulls727

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

2 hours ago, TakeItOrLeavitt said:

..that the GT was the biggest ooc win for the program since the 2011 opener @ ND? 

I was almost tempted to say biggest win overall but imo the wins in '15 over Temple and '16 over Navy and Mempis top it.

I know history will tell exactly how big this win was. If GT only wins 3 games this year then it won't be much of a feather in our cap. In the moment though, it feels like a huge momentum boost for USF football.

I think it was.  Georgia Tech is actually a really good team with a stout defense.  Don't take what we did too lightly, they're going to make some noise in the costal.  

After watching the game again... we also have a really good offensive line.  They can play and they move bodies. 

Edited by Calibull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  149

Sort of a tough thing to real gauge at this point in the season. The other wins have the advantage of hindsight and also knowing the impact to our season in general. I think the games during the regular season generally are more impactful since most people lose interest in the sea of bowl games sometimes.

I think it was a very important win not only for fans but for the team. The kind of win that helps them grow as a team and believe in the direction their coaches are putting them.

I also feel kind of bad that we have some fans referring to GT as mediocre in any respect. That is a well coached team (the entire staff-- not looking at just the grumpy-after-loss press conference version of Paul Johnson) that battled us all the way until the end of the game. There was no let up and our team had to bust their arses to get the win. To be fair-- I would be very much in favor in having a regular series with this team going forward. Atlanta is a nice road trip for Tampa fans (and the numerous Atlanta alumni) and it might help us widening our recruiting range to boot.

But back to the question-- it was a pretty good win that we should feel great about-- regardless of how the season shakes out for either team.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,019
  • Days Won:  38

7 hours ago, OncomingStorm said:

This win is only 'meaningful' if we follow through the rest of this season.

Correct, but that's all we know as of now.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,523
  • Days Won:  28

10 hours ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

I bet GT will be like last year. They remind me so much of Navy when Navy was ranked. GT has such a tough schedule. They might make a bowl, if they play well.

aaaa.jpg.a1f085754eae5cfacba2c7e012b084b5.jpg

I see 5-6 more wins, hopefully they can get an upset or 2. Personally i think their team wasnt that bad. 

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180

Agree that it’s too early to tell.. FWIW, I can see them running off an 8-4 (I think they’ll beat Miami)