• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Five Star Grad transfer QB Blake Barnett visiting USF this weekend.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

9 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

If you're Strong and this kid is interested in coming here you say no in any circumstance?

I think someone said we reached out to him

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Graduate transfer quarterback Blake Barnett joins Bulls

GRADUATE TRANSFER QUARTERBACK BLAKE BARNETT JOINS BULLS

TAMPA, MAY 18, 2018 – Head coach Charlie Strong today announced the addition of graduate transfer quarterback Blake Barnett to the USF football team.

Barnett, who is transferring to USF after earning his degree from Arizona State University, will enroll in graduate school this summer and will be immediately eligible to compete for the Bulls in the 2018 season under NCAA transfer rules. He has two seasons of eligibility remaining.

A native of Corona, Calif., the 6-5, 217-pound Barnett was a consensus five-star prospect and earned MVP honors at the 2014 Elite 11 Quarterback Competition prior to signing with Alabama out of high school. He has seen action in seven collegiate games at previous stops at Alabama (2015-16) and Arizona State (2017), completing 14-of-24 passes for 259 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in two seasons on the field.

A big quarterback with an impressive arm and good mobility, Barnett appeared in four games for the Sun Devils during the 2017 season, his first with the program. He completed 3-of-5 passes for 40 yards on the year. He earned a degree in liberal studies from Arizona State in the spring of 2018.

Barnett redshirted his first season at Alabama in 2015 and began the 2016 season as the Crimson Tide's starter in the season opener vs. USC. He played in three games for the Tide in 2016, completing 11-of-19 passes for 219 yards and two touchdowns, before transferring later that season.

Coming out of high school, Barnett was ranked as the nation's No. 1 quarterback as a pocket passer by ESPN.com and the top dual-threat signal-caller by Rivals.com. A consensus five-star prospect, he led his team to victory in the 2015 Under Armour All-America Game, participated in Nike's "The Opening," and was named to the Prepstar Dream Team. Barnett was ranked the No. 2 quarterback prospect nationally by 247Sports and No. 3 by Scout.com after passing for 3,404 yards and 23 touchdowns in 11 games during his senior season at Santiago High School. He also ran for 479 yards and seven scores that season.

Courtesy GoUSFBulls.com

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Ah okay, i hadn't seen that reported.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe its much to do about nothing. Hey may not even beat Chirs or Brett and this conversation is probably over. He is 6'5 but he is also only 201 lbs which makes me think Clint Trickett.  I would hope he would have the same skill set. We do not have a good track record with QB transfers. Maybe Barnhardt and thats it for the transfers. The rest were all hype.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Great article on the transfer:

That direction is Tampa, where he will join a South Florida program that is looking for a new starting quarterback to step in for the recently-departed Quinton Flowers. With two years of eligibility left, Barnett believes he has a chance to beat out redshirt junior Brett Kean and redshirt sophomore Chris Oladokun to earn the top spot on the depth chart.

"From my impressions, it will be a competition," Barnett said. "That's all I could ask for. That's really all I asked for going to Arizona State -- an opportunity to compete. I understand that starting jobs aren't promised, and that's what I expect from a coach. That's my biggest thing about going to South Florida. Tampa's beautiful, I love the coaching staff, I like [offensive coordinator] Sterlin Gilbert a lot. I like coach Charlie Strong a lot. He seems like a very good man."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/from-tuscaloosa-to-tempe-to-tampa-the-long-winding-road-of-new-usf-qb-blake-barnett/

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

55 minutes ago, Calibull said:

2 and a grad transfer to me says a lot.  I've followed recruiting for years and the only time I see 3 QBs come in a class is when there is a QB problem at the school.  Not saying there is, but neither Kean or Oladokun is blowing anyone away... I also think they may want one of "their" guys.  I'm not sure they would have even recruited these guys.  Sounds bad but it keeps coming into my mind. 

I think we had no choice but to get a QB recruit this year and 1 of them is not a full lock at that position. As for the grad transfer, it was more of a depth move, than lacking confidence in Kean or O. There are not any negative reports on the current QBs. They just happen to  both be playing well. But we were 2 injuries away from playing a true freshman this year, so I feel this transfer simply gives us 3 upper class QBs for 2018. But of course, if he is better than who we currently have then its a plus. 2019, we will have our strongest strength of schedule since joining the AAC. We need to finish 2018 ranked, if we are to crash that playoffs in 2019 😎

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

Glad to see Barnett heading to USF, hopefully his message board thread will one day rival the expansion thread.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Let the games begin...may the best QB win and lead this team to an AAC Championship!  Go Bulls!!

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,112
  • Days Won:  6

52 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

44 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Ah okay, i hadn't seen that reported.

This sums things up.  We have no idea whether there is a problem at QB or not based on this move.

If CCS reached out to him then that implies he either didn't like what he saw in Brett or Chris or he saw Barnett play and took a shot at asking him to come here regardless.

We may never know but one thing is certain, it will be endlessly debated here and when it all said and done there will be winners and losers but who they are will also be the subject of endless debate.