• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why is the USF beat writer . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  401
  • Days Won:  2

Can't believe I'm defending the USF fan base but I'm not sure what Joey Knight even wants from you guys. It's an exhibition game at a school still building tradition (just like UCF) in a town with lots to do on the weekend. And on top of that, Corbett Stadium can only hold so many people. It obviously wasn't going to be 10k like Memphis and is still near the top of the American.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

22 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

Can't believe I'm defending the USF fan base but I'm not sure what Joey Knight even wants from you guys. It's an exhibition game at a school still building tradition (just like UCF) in a town with lots to do on the weekend. And on top of that, Corbett Stadium can only hold so many people. It obviously wasn't going to be 10k like Memphis and is still near the top of the American.

Props man. My feelings exactly. :GoBulls:

Edited by Azmodi

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

37 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Didn't I read somewhere that our attendance was better than most of the AAC schools.  If that is the case then their marketing depts must suck more than ours.  It isn't that marketing doesn't care, the general student population and population of the Tampa Bay area don't care.

They don’t do enough in my opinion. If we are counting butts in seats I don’t think we are all that good...especially with students. It’s marketing’s job to be innovative and get people excited. They have to do more due to fan apathy and competition.  We really don’t have the people at USF to take it to the next level where it needs to be. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,458
  • Days Won:  25

32 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Didn't I read somewhere that our attendance was better than most of the AAC schools.  If that is the case then their marketing depts must suck more than ours.  It isn't that marketing doesn't care, the general student population and population of the Tampa Bay area don't care.

God I hope we're not in this to be like others in the AAC. I don't care what they did, or will do, I want USF to be THE conversation in Tampa. Problem is, as I have said too many times, there are way too many people on campus that just plain do not know what's going on. That's marketing.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

24 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

:GoBulls:

Just now, BDYZR said:

God I hope we're not in this to be like others in the AAC. I don't care what they did, or will do, I want USF to be THE conversation in Tampa. Problem is, as I have said too many times, there are way too many people on campus that just plain do not know what's going on. That's marketing.

Again...you are spot on BDYZR

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I was at my kid's soccer game, followed by the Lightning. I'll take the blame on this one, guys. My bad.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,528
  • Days Won:  28

22 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

. . . reposting all these FSU-related tweets? And don't tell me it's a Willie Taggart thing. If so, where are all the Louisiana Tech retweets?

He has probably been assigned to start covering FSU stuff. Reporters have bosses who tell them what 2 cover. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

There were obviously other factors (Lightning game, Rowdies game, etc.) that would hurt attendance, but it is somewhat disappointing that we haven't seen much improvement concerning the excitement surrounding this program after the last 2.5 seasons we have had. This is a team that is 28-6 over its last 34 games (would have been 29-6 had the UMASS game not been cancelled), has a big name head coach, and plays in one of the nicest venues that hosts college football in America. We just don't play enough "big name" schools on an annual basis to boost our attendance. Back in the Big East days we would average 40,000 a game. Add to that the general apathy of most Millennials and the quality and abundance of TV options, and the problems is amplified even more. Sprinkle in the overall apathy/bandwagon/front running that exists in the Tampa Bay region as a whole, and it is very problematic for the future of our programs. 

The problem isn't unique to just USF football, attendance is down across almost all sports. MLB has seen an average drop of 2,700 per game so far this season. That represents a 10% drop in just one year. Part of that might be weather related, but it is also a troubling harbinger of things to come. We need to find a path into a major conference or we are going to be treading water over the next decade, and a major conference invite doesn't seem forthcoming. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

23 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

. . . reposting all these FSU-related tweets? And don't tell me it's a Willie Taggart thing. If so, where are all the Louisiana Tech retweets?

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

He has probably been assigned to start covering FSU stuff. Reporters have bosses who tell them what 2 cover. 

He wasn't covering anything that day ... apparently was on a college visit with his kid. All he was doing that day was retweeting stuff he had interest in. OP just had the misfortune of checking it when 3 FSU retweets were at the top. There were a dozen USF retweets that preceded those 3.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,528
  • Days Won:  28

19 minutes ago, Triple B said:

He wasn't covering anything that day ... apparently was on a college visit with his kid. All he was doing that day was retweeting stuff he had interest in. OP just had the misfortune of checking it when 3 FSU retweets were at the top. There were a dozen USF retweets that preceded those 3.

But if you see his pattern, he has really been posting a lot of FSU stuff. I dont think that is Random. But the article did suck.