• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert Rumors

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, SANJAY said:

The offensive play calling leading to the field goal on our penultimate drive was key to that loss.

Agree with this completely .... and even more specific, the play calling when we got inside the red zone. Although we were actually moving the ball running on that drive, using up clock, only one pass attempt, a completion, you've got to get Q involved that close to the end zone, at least for one play, to see if he can work his magic. Didn't happen ...

28 minutes ago, Brad said:

Was it really 38 passes, 55 rushing?  That's not close to a balance.

25 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Sounds pretty similar to the overall season ratio.

Season 31 pass/53 rush per game.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

18 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Agree with this completely .... and even more specific, the play calling when we got inside the red zone. Although we were actually moving the ball running on that drive, using up clock, only one pass attempt, a completion, you've got to get Q involved that close to the end zone, at least for one play, to see if he can work his magic. Didn't happen ...

This is what I'm most interested to see about the offense next season.  The head scratching play calling in the red zone this season very well could be Gilbert not truly trusting Flowers as a passer (as silly as that seems) even though Flowers rarely turned it over and could improvise into big plays.  If it's through more trust in Kean/Chris O/Battles/McCloud/Grad Transfer to be named later or just plain old self evaluation Gilbert definitely needs to loosen up in the red zone.  It's like before the "Let me go coach" talk CWT had.....Your players will never truly play to their potential if you don't trust them enough to make plays and try to protect them.  Scared money don't make money

2 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

The head scratching play calling in the red zone this season very well could be Gilbert not truly trusting Flowers as a passer (as silly as that seems) even though Flowers rarely turned it over and could improvise into big plays

If you didn't trust him as a passer (agreed , silly), you should trust him as a runner and ability to get to the edge. Not sure you'll have that same dynamics this year (hopefully maybe) so may be similar play calling, but with hopefully better execution. Like I've said, 's the red zone lack of more utilization of Q is the only real criticism I had of Gilbert this season .... the hb dive crap was totally blown out of proportion.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

14 minutes ago, Triple B said:

If you didn't trust him as a passer (agreed , silly), you should trust him as a runner and ability to get to the edge. Not sure you'll have that same dynamics this year (hopefully maybe) so may be similar play calling, but with hopefully better execution. Like I've said, 's the red zone lack of more utilization of Q is the only real criticism I had of Gilbert this season .... the hb dive crap was totally blown out of proportion.

Yup, most games his offense did great between the 20's but when he got into the red zone he turtled up, which is why we were 90th in red zone efficiency.  All the yards between the 20's are pretty in box scores but you don't beat good teams with field goals or turning it over on downs in the red zone.   As for the "HB Dive stuff" it got to where it was because he relied on it almost exclusively in key moments like 3rd and short, 4th and short, and in the red zone.  Even if a number of those where Q gave it on read options he made it way too easy for defenses to only defend a small portion of the field.  For defenders he made it easy, the read side end stays home and the rest of the players get to "trust what you see" and get down hill and make stops.  

The issue with next season will be he won't have Q as a threat coaches have to prepare for on the edge (even if he didn't use him) so teams will be able to attack the inside run with even more vigor.  Hopefully this was just a trust issue and he gets over it but if this turns out to be an ego thing.....I see the offense taking a BIG step back next season.....

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

18 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Well maybe if the offense scored more when the defense gave them the ball 6 times in a row, then that last play wouldnt have mattered. The offense scored BELOW their avg, but we can agree to disagree on this one

Anytime I fail at work now I hashtag myself with #4thand24

Terrible! Go back and watch the play again.  Beyond terrible

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

The offense playcalling was always conservative when we had the lead. We always played not to lose which bit us against Houston and ucf. The red zone offense was a major problem and we basically just ran a hb dive when we were 3rd and 1 or even 4th and 1. Had we ran a play action or a rollout on 3rd or 4th down we wouldn't have been so predictable and defenses would have had a tougher time stopping us.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

4 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

I didn't say that.  What I said, that in this particular game is easy to see that the one play that had we  been successful defending  and should not have been difficult to defend, would have won us the game.  In any game there are dozens of plays that could have an impact, but not usually one so glaring.  Just like the Vikings/Saints game, the one play that will always stand out is the last TD for the Vikings.  Sure, there are probably several plays that may have changed the complection of the game, but certainly, if that DB tackles the WR, the game is over and the Saints win.

Not so fast there my friend. Weren't the Vikings only down by 1 or 2?  They would have attempted a FG if the receiver gets out of bounds. So no certainty there.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

1 hour ago, Bausfkid said:

Anytime I fail at work now I hashtag myself with #4thand24

Terrible! Go back and watch the play again.  Beyond terrible

It is over with. The more we keep talking about it the more it will become a curse for years to come.