• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert Rumors

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

13 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

You now all have something to complain about next year.

funny-picture-i-have-a-surprise-for-you-

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

35 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

You now all have something to complain about next year.

Why? I heard Gilbert is going to upgrade from Tecmo bowl to Madden 94 during the off-season so he’ll have more dive options.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Hoping for a few more hits...

689635CC-CCD5-4251-8F83-6662C7F6BFA0.jpeg

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

On 1/7/2018 at 9:57 PM, JTrue said:

I'm still confused by the complaint that Gilbert didn't just do what the offense had been doing. No new OC comes into a program and runs that exact same offense. It never happens in football. It never happens in life. Every job I've every taken, it wasn't even remotely impressed upon me that I should just "do what the last guy did" and I was never evaluated by that metric (and probably would have told them to kiss my ass if that was what the expectation was in hiring me). In the end, it's about results. And Gilbert's results were what, 5% less than the guy before him with the subtraction of two NFL skill players. We lost 1100 yards on the ground from Mack and Tice and DJ picked up their production by 800 yards and 250. QF ran for less 500 yards less, but overall production on the ground was only 20 yards lower. I guess if you were expecting him to run for 2000 yards this year, it was a disappointment. Passing numbers were comparable, though QF threw less INTs (including at least 1 ******** INT at the end of half that I can count where he just chucked it up and it got picked off) and that's despite losing one of, if not THE, best WR in the school's history. Not to mention, if we play our missed game and MVS is healthy for the UCF game, he's the first 1000 yard receiver in school history AND QF is the first 3000 yard passer. What is it people were expecting from the offense this year with an entirely new staff and the loss of Adams and Mack?

I can't argue stats & I'm not suggesting he should have come in and done exactly as the Weist.  What I AM saying is the offense felt more muted & predictable than in 2016.  It started as SJSU.  The style didn't seem as dynamic as he should have run, IMO.  I suppose the rumors of Flowers being frustrated aren't true?  But if so, maybe that's one person whose opinion DOES matter.

I did hate that we didn't use DJ as we did last year, and our TE's aren't as active as they could be.  But...that's why I'm on my couch & these guys aren't, I suppose.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

11 hours ago, JupiterBull said:

I can't argue stats & I'm not suggesting he should have come in and done exactly as the Weist.  What I AM saying is the offense felt more muted & predictable than in 2016.  It started as SJSU.  The style didn't seem as dynamic as he should have run, IMO.  I suppose the rumors of Flowers being frustrated aren't true?  But if so, maybe that's one person whose opinion DOES matter.

I did hate that we didn't use DJ as we did last year, and our TE's aren't as active as they could be.  But...that's why I'm on my couch & these guys aren't, I suppose.

I think the loss of Mack and Adams hurt us more than people want to admit.  As far as TEs go, there were so many times that Flowers just couldn't hit them, even when they were WIDE open.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

2 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

the loss of Mack and Adams hurt us more than people want to admit.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Also think QF played much differently sliding more than ever before.  Much more conservative all around..

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

4 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

I think the loss of Mack and Adams hurt us more than people want to admit.  As far as TEs go, there were so many times that Flowers just couldn't hit them, even when they were WIDE open.

Agree on both, but I think it was more of the play calling.  I do think if McCants was "discovered" as a jet sweep option earlier, that would have helped.

It's a moot point now...but I guess that's what the off season is for.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

MM and RA's departures took lots of production away.  QF had another outstanding year.  With no proven back-up the staff did a great job of protecting their #1 asset for the entire season without losing games to the teams on the schedule they should have beaten.

Again, if any P5 team were to go undefeated and win every game 100 - 0 they would not make it the CFP.  This coming year will be no different.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

41 minutes ago, JupiterBull said:

Agree on both, but I think it was more of the play calling.  I do think if McCants was "discovered" as a jet sweep option earlier, that would have helped.

It's a moot point now...but I guess that's what the off season is for.

The thing is, McCants had proven himself in 2016 to be a bruiser of a threat, good hands, and good speed. I think part of the problem might have been that he's also a very good blocker, so most of the schemes he was being used to get people out of the way rather than make him the focus. I really hope that changes next season, he's too much of a weapon to leave in a blocking role.

I really feel this kid could be used in just about any role on the field short of QB, and maybe he can throw it too. He's just a first-pick sandlot player that looks forward to contact and knows where to be.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

52 minutes ago, Brad said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

Also think QF played much differently sliding more than ever before.  Much more conservative all around..

Agree on both posts. Baby, agents in the ear about next level...all factor into more conservative.