• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert Rumors

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

59 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Or maybe not run the ball 55 times with a majority of them straight at the best player on the field...Especially when we were averaging 2.5ypc and Flowers was accurate throwing the ball that day.  We never have to worry about 4th and 24th if we didn't continue trying to force a TERRIBLE offensive game plan.  

So, let me ask you.  What's generally easier in football, scoring or stopping a freaking 4th and 24?  Sure, it would have been great if we scored more, but a team converting on 4th and 24 has a very (extremely) low success rate. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

20 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

So, let me ask you.  What's generally easier in football, scoring or stopping a freaking 4th and 24?  Sure, it would have been great if we scored more, but a team converting on 4th and 24 has a very (extremely) low success rate. 

Personally, my biggest issue is people absolving the offense from that loss.  We lost as a TEAM the defense let us down in a key moment but the offensive game plan allowed that moment to come.  Purely blaming that loss on the defense ignores the other 3.90 quarters of the game.    A poorly planned game plan and a coordinator's ego not moving his players away from it  allowed 4th and 24 to be relevant.   

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Triple B said:

But that's the beauty of 20/20 hindsight. You can say all day if things were done different the outcome would have been different but we don't really know what happens if we throw more ... We do know that if the defense had stopped the 4th and 24 it's as close to a lock that you can get that we would have won.

It wasn't hind sight to some of us......  I kinda made a thread about what would happen if we tried to run at Oliver all game and how it would mean trouble for our offense and give Houston a good shot to beat us.....  This was before the game was even played.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The offensive play calling leading to the field goal on our penultimate drive was key to that loss. I turned to my kids when they ran the HB dive on 3rd down and didn't attack the edges with Q and said we were going to lose. Although I didn't see the 4th and 24 failure. Enough blame to go around for that loss. 

9 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Personally, my biggest issue is people absolving the offense from that loss.  We lost as a TEAM the defense let us down in a key moment but the offensive game plan allowed that moment to come.  Purely blaming that loss on the defense ignores the other 3.90 quarters of the game.    A poorly planned game plan and a coordinator's ego not moving his players away from it  allowed 4th and 24 to be relevant.   

Just now, SANJAY said:

The offensive play calling leading to the field goal on our penultimate drive was key to that loss. I turned to my kids when they ran the HB dive on 3rd down and didn't attack the edges with Q and said we were going to lose. Although I didn't see the 4th and 24 failure. Enough blame to go around for that loss. 

Here's the thing, you don't KNOW that a different game plan would have led to different results on the field.  I do know that if we make that stop of 4th and 24, we win.  Please remind me when xCWT's GCO went undefeated in a season.

Just now, Apis Bull said:

Here's the thing, you don't KNOW that a different game plan would have led to different results on the field.  I do know that if we make that stop of 4th and 24, we win.  Please remind me when xCWT's GCO went undefeated in a season.

So basically we can never analyze any decision a coach makes EVER because we don't truly KNOW if anything would've been different.  Funny how that wasn't the case when people were calling for Taggart's head when he was trying to make his Stanford offense work or his game plans the first few games of the 2015 season.....   

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

16 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

This was kind of my issue with play calling.  They seemed to take the ball out of Q's hands too frequently at times when he was the best player on the field.  And in the Houston game it seemed to finally rear up and bite us.

Just now, Bull Dozer said:

So basically we can never analyze any decision a coach makes EVER because we don't truly KNOW if anything would've been different.  Funny how that wasn't the case when people were calling for Taggart's head when he was trying to make his Stanford offense work or his game plans the first few games of the 2015 season.....   

I didn't say that.  What I said, that in this particular game is easy to see that the one play that had we  been successful defending  and should not have been difficult to defend, would have won us the game.  In any game there are dozens of plays that could have an impact, but not usually one so glaring.  Just like the Vikings/Saints game, the one play that will always stand out is the last TD for the Vikings.  Sure, there are probably several plays that may have changed the complection of the game, but certainly, if that DB tackles the WR, the game is over and the Saints win.

Just now, chapelbull said:

This was kind of my issue with play calling.  They seemed to take the ball out of Q's hands too frequently at times when he was the best player on the field.  And in the Houston game it seemed to finally rear up and bite us.

Flowers average 0.5 yards per carry in that game.

6 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

I didn't say that.  What I said, that in this particular game is easy to see that the one play that had we  been successful defending  and should not have been difficult to defend, would have won us the game.  In any game there are dozens of plays that could have an impact, but not usually one so glaring.  Just like the Vikings/Saints game, the one play that will always stand out is the last TD for the Vikings.  Sure, there are probably several plays that may have changed the complection of the game, but certainly, if that DB tackles the WR, the game is over and the Saints win.

This is the same logic that allows fans to harp on bad calls as to why their teams lose when in reality you should never let a game come down to that one play if you can.  In this case we definitely shouldn't have let it get to that point but Gilbert let his ego get in the way.  Some people can't see the Forest through the trees, big picture this game was lost when Gilbert decided running directly at one of the best defensive players in the country gave our offense the best chance to be successful.  I'll gladly place my blame on the guy making hundreds of thousands of dollars to put these kids in the best situation to win to be successful  instead of the players.... 

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1