• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert Rumors

Guest PCBull14
14 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Raining off and on throughout the first half, less than optimal field conditions, receivers dropping balls and Flowers had a few overthrows.  I'm sure it looked better on television, just my observation sitting at the stadium.

The offense was average all season my friend.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

12 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I remember Rod Smith having the same issues when he had Grothe. They could move the ball but once the got inside the red zone it was a fire drill.

This happens a lot with OC's who's entire philosophy is between the tackles to set up shots deep in the passing game.  When the field becomes condensed you have to switch into a different gear that the vertical threat switches to a lateral threat because the threat of the deep shot is no longer there.   If an OC doesn't do this (Gilbert) their offenses struggle in the red zone because their play book becomes extremely limited and and most of it is between the tackles. Which unless you are physically superior to your opponent you're going to struggle because they don't have to honor you attacking the edges.  This is Gilbert's biggest weakness IMO when his offenses are in the red zone or short yardage situations he keeps everything between the tackles which is easy for the defense to get down hill and make stops.  Gilbert has shown in a few games (UCF and Illinois) that he has the plays in his playbooks between the 20's to attack the entire field he just needs to use some of those same plays in the red zone and short yardage situations.   Gilbert is still relatively young so if his ego doesn't get in the way he can correct this issue through self scouting.   

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

Looks like LSU is going to promote Steve Ensminger anyway. A lot of LSU fans are not happy.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

4 hours ago, PCBull14 said:

Houston loss was solely on him. The offense sucked all night, and lets not act like Houston is the Alabama of the G5 on the defensive side. If he leaves no one should care, he won't be hard to replace based on what we've seen.

Were you watching the same game that I was?  Did you miss the 50 yard kick-off return or the 4th and 24?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Gilbert could be better. 

USF history says we're likely to get much worse than him if he leaves. Canales, Rod Smith, Greg Gregory, Paul Wulff... not exactly a murderer's row.

The play calling is only part of the OC's job. I think he struggled there being too vanilla in many spots. If he doesn't let his ego get in the way he can get much better as a play caller. 

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  0

Im kind of torn.  This year were scheduled to take a step back, but the 2019 season is a season we can really make some noise.  We play Wisconsin and GT right of the bat and I don't want the guys learning a new offense then so if Gilbert leaves I want him to do it this year and not next.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

43 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

I think he struggled there being too vanilla in many spots. If he doesn't let his ego get in the way he can get much better as a play caller. 

Don't know if the dive is his ego or if he genuinely isn't a creative play caller. He mixed it up a little before the end of the season, but wasn't exactly an unpredictable & aggressive OC. I have a little concern that he's not as flexible with the strengths of his team, but it took CWT some time to see it before he harnessed it so maybe Gilbert will be the same. Definitely seems like a smart guy, so hopefully he'll work out.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I don't know why I have to keep saying this.  Not every dive was a called dive, a lot were read options where the DE went up field to contain QF instead of crashing down.  This season QF was our biggest threat in the running game.  Defenses schemed for this.  Unless/until Kean or Oladokun show that they are a real threat to run, you'll probably see the opposite happen.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Gilbert was ok, but his play calling was so predictable. He just called way too many HB dives.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, SANJAY said:

Gilbert could be better. 

USF history says we're likely to get much worse than him if he leaves. Canales, Rod Smith, Greg Gregory, Paul Wulff... not exactly a murderer's row.

The play calling is only part of the OC's job. I think he struggled there being too vanilla in many spots. If he doesn't let his ego get in the way he can get much better as a play caller. 

We have a better budget now but , yeah, no guarantee we get someone better at this point in the year.