• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert Rumors

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, SoFlo All Day said:

Against who? You're looking at the result when the process was way more important to look at here, especially given our weak schedule and the talent gap between USF and its opponents this year. We do not score 38 points per game and rack up 500 yds if we play a harder schedule.   

The offense never really got into rhythm. Besides the UCF game and the second half of the Texas Tech game, where Q either went superhuman or decided to go rogue from the play calling and try to will his team to victory, the offense was downright frustrating from the start and no real adjustment was made to work towards our strengths. 

**** near perfect explanation.  Im not a complainer but we scored all those points in spite of Gilbert not because of him.  Idk maybe he performs better because he has more of a pocket passer QB but I disagree with a previous poster. The Houston game was 1million percent on him.  We were running up the middle all game against an All American DT and then wondered why It didn't work.  We should have killed Houston they had no business hanging in the game that long and when a team sticks around like that when you don't step on their throats it has a funny way of biting you in the rear.  If he leaves I won't be mad but I am curious to see his offense post Flowers.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,514
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, SoFlo All Day said:

Against who? You're looking at the result when the process was way more important to look at here, especially given our weak schedule and the talent gap between USF and its opponents this year. We do not score 38 points per game and rack up 500 yds if we play a harder schedule.   

The offense never really got into rhythm. Besides the UCF game and the second half of the Texas Tech game, where Q either went superhuman or decided to go rogue from the play calling and try to will his team to victory, the offense was downright frustrating from the start and no real adjustment was made to work towards our strengths. 

yet we still avg 500 yards of offence and 38pts per game which means we need minor tuning to the offense. You guys are truly some "glass half emptiers" lol 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

If the competition was so inferior, why couldn't we run the ball up the middle behind our two 320+ lb senior guard and center?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

10 hours ago, SoFlo All Day said:

Twitter blowing up about him leaving for LSU... apparently they are "closing in" on him...whatever the hell that means. 

I mean it is LSU the same program that fired Les Miles, brought him back and then fired him for real midway through the next season. But if these rumors are true and pan out then Christmas has come early in 2018.

If he leaves we need to bring in Weist or Reeves ASAP....or promote King ( that would protect him from getting poached by Taggart too) 

Considering Chris Cosh is still employed in college football and Weist isn’t, I’ll pass.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  279

If the rumors come to pass regarding Gilbert, I would love to see King as OC. Let him have the QB's as well. It would be interesting to see what he could do with Battle and Mccloud for 4 years. Purely based on what he did for Q.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

yet we still avg 500 yards of offence and 38pts per game which means we need minor tuning to the offense. You guys are truly some "glass half emptiers" lol 

Don't want to keep harping on this - but if minor tuning is all that it would have taken to fix the offense then why didn't Gilbert put those easy changes into place during the season? 

Pride? Incapability to understand the talent on offense? I really don't care about the reason. All that matters is that it didn't happen. Another sign that he's not fit to be an OC. 

He inherited one of the most exciting and powerful USF offenses and ended up handcuffing their abilities throughout the whole season because of his play calling. If we can get some sort of buyout from a larger school for him I will consider that a win. 

Edited by SoFlo All Day
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,799

At the end of the day Gilbert has had success everywhere he is been. He inherited players that did not completely fit his system.  He did a good job with what he was given not a great job.  Year 2 and 3 will be the true evaluation.  I think the offense requires a more efficient passer.  What is the marker for success next year? 45 ppg no games under 30 points? 600 yards per game? Or as Raheem Morris said "stats are for losers?"

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

I will step forward and say that I hope Gilbert stays.   If we have to declare him the P5 Offensive Coordinator of the Year, let's do it.  

Honestly, I don't think him leaving changes the kind of offense Strong wants.  So I prefer the continuity.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740

13 hours ago, Brad said:

What makes anyone think CCS would have a new OC run a different type of offense?

DING DING DING!!

Gilbert has a history of not being throttled like he is now. Any OC under CCS is going to play the conservative eat clock, eat field, put opponent to sleep ball.

Edited by George_Bullnard_Shaw

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740

11 hours ago, SoFlo All Day said:

Our D also made it's numbers in the same way and then didn't get it done against the two decent teams we played. Our schedule was a gift for stat padding. And yet we should have been blowing them out but really didn't.