• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Gilbert Rumors

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  3

Watching HB dives on 4th down during the Bowl game while having Q at QB was the most frustrating thing ever.

✌deuces Gilbert.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,197
  • Days Won:  2

If CCS is holding back Gilbert then like Brad said for continuity sake hope we keep Gilbert and he lets him call games more open this season. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,604
  • Content Count:  74,205
  • Days Won:  422

14 hours ago, Triple B said:

500yds/38 pts per game. We can only hope whoever is oc next year does things just as wrong ...

13 hours ago, SoFlo All Day said:

Against who? You're looking at the result when the process was way more important to look at here

Yeah, stupid me ... focusing on the results. If Q was coming back, this "looking at the process being more important" stuff may make some sense but he's not. If you want to blame Gilbert for the Houston loss, go for it, but that game was meaningless in the overall scheme of things for USF .... and surely you're not clueless enough to blame the playcalling on the UCF loss. Gilbert's been successful at other places without a Q "bailing him out" ... smh ... so the rational thing to do is wait and see what transpires next year ... not gonna hold my breath, though.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Yeah, stupid me ... focusing on the results. If Q was coming back, this "looking at the process being more important" stuff may make some sense but he's not. If you want to blame Gilbert for the Houston loss, go for it, but that game was meaningless in the overall scheme of things for USF .... and surely you're not clueless enough to blame the playcalling on the UCF loss. Gilbert's been successful at other places without a Q "bailing him out" ... smh ... so the rational thing to do is wait and see what transpires next year ... not gonna hold my breath, though.

Fair point about Flowers not being back next year - but I think the process becomes even more important when you don't have his improv skills to bail you out and simply outtalent the opposition.  

Your point about the Houston game being meaningless is only validated because of  hindsight. At the time, we didn't know what was going to happen next making it very important. There were quite a few variables where that loss bites us in the ass. Just because it ended up not really effecting our season doesn't mean that it should be treated as no harm no foul. Again, process over result. Also, if you are a G5 school trying to get respect in a P5 CFB world you need every victory you can get. Don't care against who - you play to win and we should have against Houston.

Also, he had D'onta Foreman to bail him out at Texas and I think had Garrapolo at another stop too . His offenses are too predictable and it showed towards the end of the season last year at Texas - defenses keyed into the fact that he runs four plays without any variations. 

Edited by SoFlo All Day
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,330
  • Days Won:  0

Weist  - nobody in CFB hired this guy after us. Not sure why people slobber all over him.

King - like him, but we shouldnt be in the business of hiring first time Coordinators. Let them learn somewhere else. 

Since Strong is a defensive guy we need someone with experience that has coached\called plays at this level and runs the spread. FL guy and a good recuiter is a plus. This shouldnt be too hard to find.

Edited by USFBULL_08

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

2 hours ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Weist  - nobody in CFB hired this guy after us. Not sure why people slobber all over him.

King - like him, but we shouldnt be in the business of hiring first time Coordinators. Let them learn somewhere else. 

Since Strong is a defensive guy we need someone with experience that has coached\called plays at this level and runs the spread. FL guy and a good recuiter is a plus. This shouldnt be too hard to find.

The topic isn't about USF firing him.  It's about rumors that LSU may be trying to poach him.  The drop off in performance this year is seen as mostly his doing (losing Mack & Adams clearly hurt, too).  It's hard to argue that he didn't dull the offense and make try a little of Taggart did upon arrival...try to jam his preferred offense, talent notwithstanding.

But, maybe that's why I'm not a college football coach, and Gilbert is.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 hours ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Why do you feel we're above hiring first time coordinators?  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, JupiterBull said:

The topic isn't about USF firing him.  It's about rumors that LSU may be trying to poach him.  The drop off in performance this year is seen as mostly his doing (losing Mack & Adams clearly hurt, too).  It's hard to argue that he didn't dull the offense and make try a little of Taggart did upon arrival...try to jam his preferred offense, talent notwithstanding.

But, maybe that's why I'm not a college football coach, and Gilbert is.

I'm still confused by the complaint that Gilbert didn't just do what the offense had been doing. No new OC comes into a program and runs that exact same offense. It never happens in football. It never happens in life. Every job I've every taken, it wasn't even remotely impressed upon me that I should just "do what the last guy did" and I was never evaluated by that metric (and probably would have told them to kiss my ass if that was what the expectation was in hiring me). In the end, it's about results. And Gilbert's results were what, 5% less than the guy before him with the subtraction of two NFL skill players. We lost 1100 yards on the ground from Mack and Tice and DJ picked up their production by 800 yards and 250. QF ran for less 500 yards less, but overall production on the ground was only 20 yards lower. I guess if you were expecting him to run for 2000 yards this year, it was a disappointment. Passing numbers were comparable, though QF threw less INTs (including at least 1 ******** INT at the end of half that I can count where he just chucked it up and it got picked off) and that's despite losing one of, if not THE, best WR in the school's history. Not to mention, if we play our missed game and MVS is healthy for the UCF game, he's the first 1000 yard receiver in school history AND QF is the first 3000 yard passer. What is it people were expecting from the offense this year with an entirely new staff and the loss of Adams and Mack?

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,604
  • Content Count:  74,205
  • Days Won:  422

15 minutes ago, JTrue said:

What is it people were expecting from the offense this year with an entirely new staff and the loss of Adams and Mack?

I think if you told people that we'd average a couple more total yards on offense per game ... including 23 more yards passing, with 2 more yards per catch ... they would have been ecstatic. Critics keep harping on the hb dives that didn't work, ignoring those that did, along with the myriad of other plays that must have worked also to get those numbers. The one gripe I can kind of agree with is not using Q enough in the red zone, which is probably reflected in the 6 points less per game average. Bottom line is that Gilbert's offense didn't stop us from getting where we wanted to this year and next year it's a whole new process with replacing the starting backfield.