• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Willie to FSU is official

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, smazza said:

speedball

willie taggart will not be the first black coach to win a national championship

Are you saying it’s been done before?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  26
  • Days Won:  0

14 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

This is the best move for CWT.  The Uncle Phil/Nike money won't last forever(Uncle Phil is 80).  UCLA just hired Chip Kelly.  Herm Edwards to ASU.  USC always gets good players.  Stanford is good most of the time now...Washington is back in the top 10...even Washington State is pretty good.  The Pac 12 will not contend for the national championship due to everyone beating each other.  FSU has to only get by Clemson, Miami, and a few others.  What? BC, Duke, Wake, Syracuse, etc....you see my point.  Tally isn't a great city but there is nothing to do in Eugene, Oregon.  Absolutely the best thing for CWT and good for Coach Jim.  DC at FSU is better than being head coach at USF any day.  USF is a stepping stone not a destination.  Strong will be out soon too. 

As a Duck, I don't necessarily disagree regarding CWT's move or the easier route to the playoff, but a few of your other statements are questionable.

Uncle Phil has installed a $100M endowment to the athletic department, so the money isn't drying up at Oregon any time soon.

Eugene isn't a metropolis, but it's only two hours from Portland, and if you like hiking, hunting, skiing, boating, fishing, crabbing, clamming, beachcombing or sightseeing there's plenty to do, to name a few. I've never quite understood this logic anyway. Tuscaloosa isn't exactly known for its nightlife, is it? What the heck does Tallahassee have that Eugene doesn't, besides heat, humidity and a state capital?

Leavitt's contract prohibits him from seeking other jobs during the season, including bowls, so he has not made a deal with FSU, and he won't until after the 16th. I'd like to see Oregon offer him the head coaching position, but I've heard people mention his baggage as "the face of the program," so I have my doubts they'll do it, although I think it would be the best decision.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  279
  • Days Won:  0

12 minutes ago, Quack 10 said:

What the heck does Tallahassee have that Eugene doesn't, besides heat, humidity and a state capital?

Proximity to the best talent in the country.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

11 minutes ago, Quack 10 said:

As a Duck, I don't necessarily disagree regarding CWT's move or the easier route to the playoff, but a few of your other statements are questionable.

Uncle Phil has installed a $100M endowment to the athletic department, so the money isn't drying up at Oregon any time soon.

Eugene isn't a metropolis, but it's only two hours from Portland, and if you like hiking, hunting, skiing, boating, fishing, crabbing, clamming, beachcombing or sightseeing there's plenty to do, to name a few. I've never quite understood this logic anyway. Tuscaloosa isn't exactly known for its nightlife, is it? What the heck does Tallahassee have that Eugene doesn't, besides heat, humidity and a state capital?

Leavitt's contract prohibits him from seeking other jobs during the season, including bowls, so he has not made a deal with FSU, and he won't until after the 16th. I'd like to see Oregon offer him the head coaching position, but I've heard people mention his baggage as "the face of the program," so I have my doubts they'll do it, although I think it would be the best decision.

Honestly I think it just comes down to the fact that it is his dream job. He grew up a huge Noles fan.

In fact I think I read somewhere that he had family members ( a brother I think) that showed up to our game against FSU wearing FSU gear. That is hardcore.

It was bad timing and honestly I'm sure he never thought FSU was going to open up or he would have stayed at USF one more year.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

20 minutes ago, Quack 10 said:

Well, in his favor USF paid Leavitt $1.2 million in settlement. It really was one minor incident in his entire career and he's been clean ever since. Enough time has now passed.

If Oregon really wanted to hire him as HC, they would have good arguments to make to minimize that episode. After all, they still hired him as their DC, with that known baggage. It makes it that much easier to just move him up the ladder, without much blow back. 

Edited by Mama_Bull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I was indifferent to Taggart at Oregon, but I hope he fails miserably at FSU.  A down FSU is better for us.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

26 minutes ago, Quack 10 said:

What the heck does Tallahassee have that Eugene doesn't, besides heat, humidity and a state capital?

Waffle House, and according to some here Publix....

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

20 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

I was indifferent to Taggart at Oregon, but I hope he fails miserably at FSU.  A down FSU is better for us.

It was widely known that FSU would not schedule USF while Jimbo was still their coach.

With Taggart now at their helm, there is at least hope that we might get a future home and home series with them.

So, THAT is why I don't want him to fail miserably there, at this moment. LOL

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Would love to see Leavitt with HC job at Oregon but I don’t know if he is the fit culturally there. Really sucks what Snyder did with his son at Kstate. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

I disagree in a general sense.  A down FSU is much more likely to run into USF on the recruiting trail more often.  They will need the high 3 star low 4 star guys that are usually crown jewel type of guys for USF's class.  An up FSU won't run into USF because they will recruit more nationally and will not have to dip down to take border line 4 star and 3 star guys that are difference makers at USF but just class fillers for FSU.   An up FSU recruits against Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan for elite in state kids and kids all over the country.  A down FSU isn't as attractive for those kind of national recruits and leaves spots open for more in state kids.....

Then again if you have Taggart,  and potentially Dugans, Leavitt, Haggins, and less likely Cristobal on that staff I think we see a more FL centric approach moving forward.  I think the new staff's first order of business is to kick schools like Clemson out of the state.  They have been killing FSU with their own home grown players under Dabo, especially kids from Tampa.....

• Upvote 1