• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Head Coach Basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

38 minutes ago, lotsofbull99 said:

Should have never fired CJL.

Exactly. If Harlan never fires CJL, he never has to try and fix it with this uninspired hire of Gregory.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  16
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/14/2017 at 0:00 PM, Paisa el Toro said:

Aside from the facilities and our school's location, USF MBB doesn't have a lot going for it. I can believe the story of Dambrot turning us down. I'm ambivalent regarding the Brian Gregory hire, and I really hope he's successful. I'll probably be renewing my tickets next season because I think I'm basketball masochist. :D

I think Dambrot could have brought in good players and stabilized the program pretty quickly and I'm sure he would have enjoyed the conference upgrade and nice arena. Although he is an Ohio guy, a lot of his recruits are coming from places like Texas, Nevada and Puerto Rico so I'm sure he could recruit to Florida (probably could have gotten some good Ohio players to come too). But he is in a pretty good spot right now...he will be able to cash the paychecks at Akron as long as he wants, a little less than AAC money but enough to live on :) The risk would be in the chance that it didn't work out at USF - he would then be 60+ and out in the cold so I think that's the main reason he declined USF.

Edited by BeachBumBull

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

4 hours ago, BeachBumBull said:

I think Dambrot could have brought in good players and stabilized the program pretty quickly and I'm sure he would have enjoyed the conference upgrade and nice arena. Although he is an Ohio guy, a lot of his recruits are coming from places like Texas, Nevada and Puerto Rico so I'm sure he could recruit to Florida (probably could have gotten some good Ohio players to come too). But he is in a pretty good spot right now...he will be able to cash the paychecks at Akron as long as he wants, a little less than AAC money but enough to live on :) The risk would be in the chance that it didn't work out at USF - he would then be 60+ and out in the cold so I think that's the main reason he declined USF.

The last time we made an off (Not even a hire but, an offer), it was all over the internet, television and in print that we had hired a guy who didn't even have his degree. We hadn't even hired him, we just made an offer. Now the news here loves to **** on all things USF so, if we made an offer to a guy and he turned us down, this media would have the terms and monies already on the interwebs and in print somewhere. The fact that I haven't seen it yet makes me believe there wasn't an offer Perhaps they approached him but, no offer given.

Let me ask, have you seen this guy get a pay raise yet? I'm sure USF would have offered him more money to come here. I'm guessing this was his agent pumping his current employer for more money. Maybe they called his bluff or maybe there is a new contract in the works. Sill, there's no news on that so, just maybe it never really happened.

I'm still calling it, "Fake media creating fake news!"

Edited by Azmodi
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, Azmodi said:

The last time we made an off (Not even a hire but, an offer), it was all over the internet, television and in print that we had hired a guy who didn't even have his degree. We hadn't even hired him, we just made an offer.

We didn't just make an offer to Masiello. We made an offer. He accepted. We sent him a contract. He signed it

1 hour ago, Azmodi said:

Now the news here loves to **** on all things USF so, if we made an offer to a guy and he turned us down, this media would have the terms and monies already on the interwebs and in print somewhere. The fact that I haven't seen it yet makes me believe there wasn't an offer Perhaps they approached him but, no offer given.

None of the news media here would break something like that anyway. They don't care enough to do that much work. They just wait for things to happen and then throw in their usually acerbic two cents .... and not sure whether it was an actual offer or they just approached him but he apparently turned us down to stay at Akron.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

If only we had waited another day we could have had a shot at Lorenzo Romar...

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,354
  • Days Won:  43

Good to have another Izzo prodigy as head Bulls basketball coach. Heath worked out well until JG messed that up. Glad to see the MIch St family forgives USF. 

Edited by Bull Daly
  • Downvote 3

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Bull Daly said:

Good to have another Izzo prodigy as head Bulls basketball coach. Heath worked out well until JG messed that up. Glad to see the MIch St family forgives USF. 

Michigan State forgives USF? Money talks...

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 hours ago, Bull Daly said:

Riiiiiiight. I'm sure Izzo went back and forth over recommending the out of work head coach stay that way and turn down millions and a six year deal.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

11 hours ago, Bull Daly said:

I've read this a couple of times.  Is that what happened?  Didn't he get fired after MH became AD?  I can't believe a university president would hire an AD and say, "And, oh, by they way I'm firing your head men's basketball coach."  I truly don't recall the sequence but thought the firing of Heath came after the hiring of Harlan.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

31 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

I've read this a couple of times.  Is that what happened?  Didn't he get fired after MH became AD?  I can't believe a university president would hire an AD and say, "And, oh, by they way I'm firing your head men's basketball coach."  I truly don't recall the sequence but thought the firing of Heath came after the hiring of Harlan.

If I remember correctly Heath was fired right before Harlan was hired. I think he told Judy if she was going to fire him to do it before he accepted the job.