• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Strong Concern?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

20 minutes ago, charsibb said:

As long as we're winning, I'd rather win 55-54 than 21-3

Ulcers are a bad thing...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

24 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Ulcers are a bad thing...

I own stock in Tums...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,123
  • Days Won:  6

On 12/16/2016 at 6:07 PM, BullAdrian said:

The conference took 5 days after hire?  I had Taggart had only one day to go to Oregon.  

Also, I think we  lost 2 or 3 rerecruit and has CSS made them re-commit yet?

It would be nice to hear something positive but so much is in transition.  We have the dead period, the bowl preparation, the assistant coaching uncertainty.  

CWT landed Mike White a few days after being hired but if I recall, his first signing day was mostly Skip's recruits. 

CWT's are good enough for me and it's also a small class and pretty much filled so I'm not expecting much of anything other that Taggart poaching a few favorites.

I still think it will be a hard sell for Taggart to convince a lot of guys to move to Oregon with him.  I think he will focus mostly on the west coast once he gets settled.  I think we got lucky in that regard because he would be all over the bay area otherwise.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,123
  • Days Won:  6

17 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Offense sells tickets (and has proven to also win games).

I don't recall it selling a lot of tickets this year but I get your point. 

I think we need more balance.  

I was talking to one of the players (a walk on) and I asked him if the defense played a little soft because they knew the offense could score so easily.  He said that he thought that was part of the problem.  

I'm not suggesting that we score less in order to scare the defense into playing better, just that they need to shake off that mentality somehow if they want to be respected nationally (if that if possible with our schedule).

I think on some levels Tags agreed that you could just outscore everyone so maybe Strong will change that mentality.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

18 hours ago, Bullrush33 said:

The problem is that our great advantage is speed. Coach T simplified the offense and put kids in position to use their God given abilities.  It is an advantage we should continue to use and not trying to score to protect the defense is foolish. The dfense needs to be aggressive and stop playing this zone dont bend dont break. Drives me absolutely nuts.

Bend but don't break isn't a bad plan when you have a better secondary than you do pass rush. Unfortunately this year, we had diddly squat for pass rushers, so blitzing typically was going to hurt us due to leaving the field wide open and still not getting in there. 

But I do agree that it's a bad idea to try and slow down a proven smart QB and a duo of great backs. And it worries me that CCS thinks that we should try to drastically change a proven good offense just to fit his style of coaching. To me, he just needs to focus on getting the defense to make JUST enough stops to win

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I watched Arkansas State play the gnats and Arkansas State's defense was light years better than ours.

Edited by FarEastBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, FarEastBull said:

I watched Arkansas State play the gnats and Arkansas State's defense was light years better than ours.

What stood out to me was their tackling. Really solid fundamentals. Hopefully Strong can put that in place here.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

2 hours ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

Bend but don't break isn't a bad plan when you have a better secondary than you do pass rush. Unfortunately this year, we had diddly squat for pass rushers, so blitzing typically was going to hurt us due to leaving the field wide open and still not getting in there. 

But I do agree that it's a bad idea to try and slow down a proven smart QB and a duo of great backs. And it worries me that CCS thinks that we should try to drastically change a proven good offense just to fit his style of coaching. To me, he just needs to focus on getting the defense to make JUST enough stops to win

This.

Realistically if he can hold teams around 24-27pts we beat anybody on our schedule with our offense.  There's no need to try to reinvent the wheel just get us a few more stops a game and let the offense do it's thing.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Days Won:  0

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 8:14 PM, EastTexan said:

Please do your research UT was run like a country club during Browns Tenure.. When Strong arrived the players were soft.. he kicked most of those guys after giving them chance after chance to get their act right 

Here's my research:

* Mack Brown had turned Texas into a perennial 8-win team.

* This was not acceptable for Texas so Mack was fired.

* Charlie was hired and ran off some good players

* Charlie's best defense was in his 1st year at Texas, using Mack's players

* Charlie's subsequent defenses proved to be factually the worst in Texas history

* Charlie then turns Texas into a perennial 5-win team.

* Players cried like babies and curled up in corners when Charlie's job became in jeopardy

* Players did not come out and fight like men - Charlie's final losses were embarrassing.

So when Charlie arrived the players were soft?...  We see now that was just a Charlie talking point.  Texas now has the biggest collection of crybabys in CFB.

Already talking about slowing down the Bulls' offense?  OMG, this guy just seriously has no football clue.  Good luck USF.  You're gonna need it.

Edited by Texas95
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

31 minutes ago, Texas95 said:

Here's my research:

* Mack Brown had turned Texas into a perennial 8-win team.

* This was not acceptable for Texas so Mack was fired.

* Charlie was hired and ran off some good players

* Charlie's best defense was in his 1st year at Texas, using Mack's players

* Charlie's subsequent defenses proved to be factually the worst in Texas history

* Charlie then turns Texas into a perennial 5-win team.

* Players cried like babies and curled up in corners when Charlie's job became in jeopardy

* Players did not come out and fight like men - Charlie's final losses were embarrassing.

So when Charlie arrived the players were soft?...  We see now that was just a Charlie talking point.  Texas now has the biggest collection of crybabys in CFB.

Already talking about slowing down the Bulls' offense?  OMG, this guy just seriously has no football clue.  Good luck USF.  You're gonna need it.

We will need all of the luck we can get. It's not evident however any other coaching candidates would do a better job than Strong. However, desiring to change the one thing that made this team so successful I will not support. Strong's already losing me with his rhetoric. Will wait and see what this team looks like in his first year.