• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Buyout For HCs Moving Forward

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

58 minutes ago, Capital H said:

Buyouts are a hedge for sure, but I think programs like USF/UCF/Houston can afford to gamble with a lower buyout.

The bet is that the incoming coach will continue to keep the cupboard full. With this program in Tampa, the school in Orlando, and Houston being in the center of gold mines, a good coach will be able to lock down top tier (for the AAC) talent that will make the job attractive for the next guy.

Its a risky business model for sure, and why a buyout clause is needed (and just about standard at any school nowadays?), but if a Kiffin really would balk at say, a $4m buyout, offer $2 with the knowledge that he will keep bringing in the 3-4 star talent, maybe even the occasional 5 star, and in 2-4 years the next guy will be ready to take the keys and roll.

Problem with that is Kiffin is looking to do a 1 or 2 and done. That is why the buyout for him has to be high. Force him to stay 3 years. That isn't asking too much when you are giving a guy his first chance at leading or his chance at redemption. Any coach that USF gets will struggle to WIN less than 9 games next season. They would literally have to screw things up given our players and our schedule. Kiffin could come in, win 11 games, and would immediately bolt. That is why I want Strong. He will be forced to prove a little more before he gets the keys to a bigger car. 

• Topic Count:  1,033
  • Content Count:  7,508
  • Days Won:  10

5 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Big buyouts can cost you candidates.  Allegedly the above is what stopped Kiffen from signing a deal with Houston.

Exactly:

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/coaching-rumors-buyout-clause-causing-snag-potential-deal-lane-kiffin-houston

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

What was Taggart making as HC here?  Kiffin makes 1.4 million a year as OC for Bama, I'm pretty sure that's close to Taggart's salary already.  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

4 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

What was Taggart making as HC here?  Kiffin makes 1.4 million a year as OC for Bama, I'm pretty sure that's close to Taggart's salary already.  

Around 1.7 when you roll all the various income together. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

This discussion is just depressing.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

39 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

So if you are Kiffin, what are you leaving Bama for? 2M, 2.5M, 3M?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 minute ago, DELdaBull said:

So if you are Kiffin, what are you leaving Bama for? 2M, 2.5M, 3M?

2.5 ... at least a million more than current salary to take on HC responsibilities and target on the back in order to get a better job later.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

I believe the buyouts should be high. This would stop the poaching from the P5 schools. When you think of it the AAC was loaded with good coaches this year.  But yet the AAC won't be automatically included with the P5 for national championship contention.  

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Apparently Houston is in agreement with my opinion as well. Let's hope Harlan plays hardball. The buyout after 3 years shouldn't be more than $2 million, but prior to that should be somewhat punitive. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18235257/university-officials-meet-coaching-candidates-houston-cougars-vacancy