• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Buyout For HCs Moving Forward

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

40 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Someone that wanted to make more $ as a head coach would.  If all the other schools at the level he was being courted for were doing it too - he'd have the choice to remain a coordinator or sign the contract.

I'm sure the buyouts for hire/fire would be a LITTLE closer than what you'd make it out to be too ... 

A little but not much closer.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

1 hour ago, SANJAY said:

A little but not much closer.

Oregon is paying Helfrecht  $11+million not to coach them,  they would certainly pay us $4 million if they wanted our coach. We need to be smart about this moving forward.  If the AAC is going to be a stepping stone you are going to have to pay for it.  

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just now, BullyPulpit said:

If the AAC is going to be a stepping stone you are going to have to pay for it.  

Boom.  That's all I'm really saying too.  I just think it's going to take a group effort to get there.  

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

Buyouts are a hedge for sure, but I think programs like USF/UCF/Houston can afford to gamble with a lower buyout.

The bet is that the incoming coach will continue to keep the cupboard full. With this program in Tampa, the school in Orlando, and Houston being in the center of gold mines, a good coach will be able to lock down top tier (for the AAC) talent that will make the job attractive for the next guy.

Its a risky business model for sure, and why a buyout clause is needed (and just about standard at any school nowadays?), but if a Kiffin really would balk at say, a $4m buyout, offer $2 with the knowledge that he will keep bringing in the 3-4 star talent, maybe even the occasional 5 star, and in 2-4 years the next guy will be ready to take the keys and roll.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Moderate buy-out with a one-and-one game, for the win! Who's with me?:D

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

2 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

The ironic thing is that if the school swallowed  its pride and  rehired CJL he would likely die before ever leaving. LOL

CJL, Make USF Great Again!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

4 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

I hope Harlan and company see the writing on the wall. We need to make sure that the contractual buyouts for our head coaching contracts are our new source of revenue moving forward. If a coach is going to be committed to the school they should have no problem signing with a $6/$4/$2 million buyout clause. $6 million after one year, $4 million after 2 years, $2 million after three years, and then drop it $500,000 per year thereafter. Someone like Kiffin will come in for one season, go 10-2, and then take his show on the road to greener pastures. We need to make sure that we have the funds available to find a good replacement each time this happens. 

Memphis screwed up following Fuentes, with only a $500,000 buyout for Norvell. One more good season (9-3) and he could be gone as well. We don't want to repeat that mistake, because the names that are being suggested to replace CWT are 1 to 3 year guys. Welcome to the new normal. 

3 hours ago, Cow Pie said:

As long as USF insists on doing the same stupid thing over and over, where we hire a young money hungry coach

http://replygif.net/i/102.gif

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

the art of the deal

i am a proponent of the buyout but for kiffin and strong i would be a bit more flexible

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

31 minutes ago, lotsofbull99 said:

CJL, Make USF Great Again!

impossible because of liabilty and risk issues 

cjl would be the wrong coach at this time in any event

with names like kiffin/strong and schiano,leavitt doesnt belong

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

14 minutes ago, smazza said:

with names like kiffin/strong and schiano,leavitt doesnt belong

With names like Kiffin and Shiano... maybe we could pay Harlan to stay away from them.