• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oregon reaches out to Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

21 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

All of those plays require 10 other players to execute and are often set up by strategically attacking other parts of the defense to set them up,  That guy who loses contain is often a step slow because hes cheating to the middle of the field due to us gashing them up the middle.  Those WR screens are only successful when the other receivers block their tail off (which it takes a certain culture to make them do).  Not to mention all those other big plays that are successful due to countering a tendency (the fake wr screen and deep shot, play action off the power run and the quick shot to a wide open WR over the middle etc).  You're reaching 

That Kinnan is a genius.  Couldn't possibly be CWT.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

9 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

I'm not reaching. On the other hand, you're defending CWT with respect to things that don't require defense (you don't get to coach division I college ball unless you appreciate the basic things outlined in your post). 

And you're also failing to see the nuance in my post. I never said CWT is a bad coach, or even an average coach. I think he's a very GOOD coach and, like I said earlier, I want him to stay and continue to coach here.

My central point is that the athleticism of his players has, to date, masked the quality of his coaching to some degree. A phenomenal coach would have recognized the "square peg in a round hole" issue CWT inherited when he arrived, but he didn't. For two years. Through embarrassing losses at home to McNeese State and UCF. With a historically bad offense that we, as diehards, suffered through.

While we had questionable talent when he arrived I refused to believe then, or even now, that we had zero talent and that we couldn't have done better than we did those first two years but for CWT's stubbornness.

Not everything is black and white. The gray, IMO, is whether CWT is as good a coach as everyone seems to think he is because of his players' exceptional performance. I'm sure some disagree, but IMO the jury is still out.

This is where you're wrong......The cupboard was bare and we were painfully slow on offense and had no talent at the most important position on the field, QB (White wasn't ready to start that first season).  Our offensive line play was poor to boot.  The only real play maker we had on offense was Andre Davis and we had nobody that could consistently get him the ball.  Our defense wasn't awful but it definitely wasn't going to go out there and win us many games. Anybody that was paying attention those first two years saw a bare cupboard.....

Also, what kind of offense do you run with zero qb talent (none of them mobile), one talented WR who isn't a burner, a poor offensive line, and your best RB is all 180lbs of Marcus Shaw?  Really what shape hole is that going to fit into to be successful?  There were people here warning others that this was going to be at least 3 seasons to get this thing going because we needed a serious talent upgrade and time for those kids to get physically ready to play.  Some listened, some didn't.  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778

3 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

My central point is that the athleticism of his players has, to date, masked the quality of his coaching to some degree. A phenomenal coach would have recognized the "square peg in a round hole" issue CWT inherited when he arrived, but he didn't. For two years. Through embarrassing losses at home to McNeese State and UCF. With a historically bad offense that we, as diehards, suffered through.

While we had questionable talent when he arrived I refused to believe then, or even now, that we had zero talent and that we couldn't have done better than we did those first two years but for CWT's stubbornness.

While we had some decent players when CWT arrived they were few and far between and not suited for the offense we currently run. What QB did we have then capable of running this offense? Surely not Eveld or Floyd or a true Freshman Mike White. While I liked Shaw he was no Marlon Mack and while he showed flashes he couldn't stay on the field. At WR we had Davis and after that I honestly don't remember aside from Ruben and Alex Mutt. Was Flea still here?

Taggart ran the offense that suited what he had, it was terrible but mostly because we had talent that maybe could have been able to start at an FCS school.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

44 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Him leaving doesn't make him "low character" or a "traitor," but it is absolutely fair to bring up the hypocrisy of telling kids they get the chance to stay home and build something special only to bolt for a paycheck.

So nearly every coach out there recruiting is a hypocrite.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

16 minutes ago, MMW said:

That Kinnan is a genius.  Couldn't possibly be CWT.

Definitely not!  I mean how could he have this kind of success?

That Urban Meyer sure did wonders for Houston the last two seasons too! 

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, BDYZR said:

So nearly every coach out there recruiting is a hypocrite.

I can't say. I only follow the one telling everyone on Twitter to stay home and do something special and I've never been in the living room to hear every other coach out there make his pitch. 

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I can't say. I only follow the one telling everyone on Twitter to stay home and do something special.

Did he ever tell them that he would stay with them?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I can't believe this thread has reached 45 pages

:facepalm:

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127

19 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

This is where you're wrong......The cupboard was bare and we were painfully slow on offense and had no talent at the most important position on the field, QB (White wasn't ready to start that first season).  Our offensive line play was poor to boot.  The only real play maker we had on offense was Andre Davis and we had nobody that could consistently get him the ball.  Our defense wasn't awful but it definitely wasn't going to go out there and win us many games. Anybody that was paying attention those first two years saw a bare cupboard.....

Also, what kind of offense do you run with zero qb talent (none of them mobile), one talented WR who isn't a burner, a poor offensive line, and your best RB is all 180lbs of Marcus Shaw?  Really what shape hole is that going to fit into to be successful?  There were people here warning others that this was going to be at least 3 seasons to get this thing going because we needed a serious talent upgrade and time for those kids to get physically ready to play.  Some listened, some didn't.  

I don't know why this got a negative vote.  I thought it was respectful and summed things up very nicely.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

1 minute ago, MMW said:

I don't know why this got a negative vote.  I thought it was respectful and summed things up very nicely.

Just for the record, 'twas not I. We disagree, but I don't downvote people for mere disagreements.

• Upvote 1