• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oregon reaches out to Willie Taggart

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

9 minutes ago, MMW said:

If/when he leaves, a big chunk of the blame falls on the fan base.  I think he was truly disappointed it the turnout.  He wants to build something but, looking at the empty seats in the stands, nobody seems to care.

Am I to understand that there is some moral or ethical or altruistic reason to part with discretionary income and direct it towards USF tickets? You may indeed be correct...the 'nobody seems to care' point could have a grain of truth. USF is already drawing what it can from alumni (so appealing to the ole alma mater line of thinking is probably maxed out), but if you're gonna argue that 'USF is playing exciting football, and you should buy a ticket and you should show up in person to watch it, even if you're not an alum or student - the Bulls are your local team, and you should support the local folk', the counter argument could be made that on any given Saturday the no-ticket-required television is full of exciting, it-matters, ACC, SEC, B1G football. Our football audience on the peninsula is not naive. They see AAC football for what it is. If that were not the case...if there were a pent up desire for football - 'entertaining' football - RayJ would be packed every weekend. It's probably not that 'nobody' cares, it's just that those who 'do care enough to buy tickets' are considerably fewer in number than some would like. If I were a gamblin' man, I'd bet the decision to leave is based more on increased income and enhanced career opportunity (euphemism for P5) rather than empty seats. Those benefits can easily assuage any feelings vis-a-vis attendance. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,638
  • Days Won:  3

30 minutes ago, MMW said:

If/when he leaves, a big chunk of the blame falls on the fan base.  I think he was truly disappointed it the turnout.  He wants to build something but, looking at the empty seats in the stands, nobody seems to care.

Not sure that's a fair statement.  That's kind of like me blaming my neighbors leaving as the reason I'm selling my house after a nuclear plant is built next door.  The fans are in the same boat as the coach - he just has a lucrative alternative to pursue if he chooses (and I don't blame him).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Here's another coach to consider is the WY HC.  He came from NDSU and has WY bowl eligible.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, BullDoug said:

Here's another coach to consider is the WY HC.  He came from NDSU and has WY bowl eligible.

we need someone with florida ties. USF does not recruit itself. that has been made clear under our last 2 coaches.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

11 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

They'll be the first ones to call him "low character" or "a traitor" and other ridiculous things when he eventually leaves.  Some of them have already started beating that drum with criticisms about his use of "Bay made Bay stayed" etc.  

Him leaving doesn't make him "low character" or a "traitor," but it is absolutely fair to bring up the hypocrisy of telling kids they get the chance to stay home and build something special only to bolt for a paycheck.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

47 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Not giving credit to a coach for recruits that were major coupes is just ridiculous.  None of those kids are here without CWT so attempting to use them to marginalize his success is intellectually dishonest.  That doesn't even take into consideration how important recruiting is for a HC at a program like USF.  We aren't UF, FSU, LSU, Texas, Notre Dame etc where the job recruits itself.  

This also doesn't take into consideration that he's the chief play caller in this offense.  People need to stop looking for reasons to not give credit to CWT and realize that he's a good coach.....Also, do we really go all in on recruiting Flowers to play QB if we wanted to keep playing the power brand of football? There's evidence that the shift in philosophy was coming during that second season in the formations and in some of the play calling (The first appearance of the WR screens, Implementing the shot gun more including  pistol formations even with white as the starter etc).  

I give him credit for his recruits. He is clearly an amazing recruiter.

But recruits sometimes work, and sometimes don't work. Q and Mack breaking contain and running for 75-yard touchdowns every other play, because they can, is awesome, but I'd argue it's not due to coaching. A successful bubble screen or jet sweep with these players is not a great accomplishment.

Like I said, I like CWT and want him to stay. I do in fact believe he's a very good coach. Is he a coaching phenom that Oregon would be crazy to pass over? Not IMHO.

Edited by TallyBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

45 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

We aren't UF, FSU, LSU, Texas, Notre Dame etc where the job recruits itself.  

There's really only one program that recruits itself, and it's currently #1 and the nation and has won three of the last five national titles.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

9 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

They'll be the first ones to call him "low character" or "a traitor" and other ridiculous things when he eventually leaves.  Some of them have already started beating that drum with criticisms about his use of "Bay made Bay stayed" etc.  

all the "fans" who wanted him to fail so they could say I told you so will come back out of the woodwork

they made up their minds that Taggart was a terrible coach and nothing will change it.  not even top AAC recruiting classes or a 10-2 record or a top 10 offense. some people just refuse to admit they were wrong.cognitive dissonance

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 minute ago, TallyBull said:

I give him credit for his recruits. He is clearly an amazing recruiter.

But recruits sometimes work, and sometimes don't work. Q and Mack breaking contain and running for 75-yard touchdowns every other play, because they can, is awesome, but I'd argue it's not due to coaching. A successful bubble screen or jet sweep with these players is not a great accomplishment.

Like I said, I like CWT and want him to stay. I do in fact believe he's a very good coach. Is he a coaching phenom that Oregon would be crazy to pass over? Nope.

I see your point here but I still think it's quite an oversimplification of the job Taggart and his staff have done here.  

Guest PCBull14
1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

all the "fans" who wanted him to fail so they could say I told you so will come back out of the woodwork

they made up their minds that Taggart was a terrible coach and nothing will change it.  not even top AAC recruiting classes or a 10-2 record or a top 10 offense. some people just refuse to admit they were wrong.cognitive dissonance

ON this page alone of this thread!

It's funny now actually. The man could win five national titles and they'll still complain.